Topics

Bluetooth for cat control #mfj-1234

Rich

Hello,
I have a MFJ1234, FT-817ND, Bluetooth CAT control dongle.

I can can use a USB cat control cable with no issues to run RigPi software as well as FLRig.

In the pi I configured RFCOMM to bind to hci0 through a configuration file I launch before I open the rig control software.
If I launch FLrig, I can see the interface in the serial port list, (/dev/rfcomm0) where I can initialize and command the radio with no issues. I also can use FLdigi and WSJT-X using FLrig as the rig control with no issues over Bluetooth.

If if I do the same initialization sequence however launch RigPi I do not see the rfcomm in the list of available interfaces. Any help or better way to use cat control over Bluetooth is appreciated. I would like to use RigPi as it has more features, but I want to loose the usb cat control cable if possible.

73 Kd9kjx Rich

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Rich,

I'll bet the rfcomm device can be seen in /dev by using ls -l /dev from Terminal.  RigPi filters the ports in /dev to show only 'ttyUSBn' or 'radion' files.  The filter could be changed rather simply, but an interesting experiment would be to copy rfcomm to, say, ttyUSB9, which would then appear in the list.  There could be a gottcha by trying that, in which case I can help you change the filter script to allow rfcomm to pass through.

73, Howard W6HN

Rich

Hi Howard,

That did not work. I might be able to configure this device name in the rfcomm as an alias in the configuration file instead messing with your filters which is good idea for most users. Any thoughts?

Thanks Rich Kd9kjx

On Jul 1, 2019, at 6:59 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Hi Rich,

I'll bet the rfcomm device can be seen in /dev by using ls -l /dev from Terminal.  RigPi filters the ports in /dev to show only 'ttyUSBn' or 'radion' files.  The filter could be changed rather simply, but an interesting experiment would be to copy rfcomm to, say, ttyUSB9, which would then appear in the list.  There could be a gottcha by trying that, in which case I can help you change the filter script to allow rfcomm to pass through.

Hi Rich,

Take a look at the file named portScan.php in /var/www/html/programs.  2-3 lines should fix it.  If you try and it works I can include it in the next update.

We should take this conversation to direct email.

--Howard

That did not work. I might be able to configure this device name in the rfcomm as an alias in the configuration file instead messing with your filters which is good idea for most users. Any thoughts?

Thanks Rich Kd9kjx

On Jul 1, 2019, at 6:59 PM, Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...> wrote:

Hi Rich,

I'll bet the rfcomm device can be seen in /dev by using ls -l /dev from Terminal.  RigPi filters the ports in /dev to show only 'ttyUSBn' or 'radion' files.  The filter could be changed rather simply, but an interesting experiment would be to copy rfcomm to, say, ttyUSB9, which would then appear in the list.  There could be a gottcha by trying that, in which case I can help you change the filter script to allow rfcomm to pass through.

73, Howard W6HN

Mike K0JTA

"We should take this conversation to direct email." is mentioned...  -Well, not totally!  I find all of this fascinating, even though it is above my skills.  (The TOPIC at least, is good to at least know about, is my thought.)

You had mentioned "
If you try and it works I can include it in the next update."  Is the mentioned item the code in the SD CARD???  If this is the case, do rightful owners of the SD card (or the MFJ-1234) have some means of updating the SD card?  Maybe all of this is answered, but I am still in the dark, due to the back-order situation.

Thanks and 73 from Mike, K0JTA

Howard Nurse, W6HN

hi Mike,

Thanks for your input.  My suggestion to use email was out of a sensitivity for those who might not be interested in the nuts and bolts of coding.

When first introduced, RigPi was shipped with version 1.0, we are now up to 1.04.  When a new release is available, you are invited to update the first time you start up RigPi after that.  This automatic update brings your MicroSD card up to the latest RigPi version.  (RigPi updates do NOT update other programs aside from RigPi. Steps for doing those updates are provided by the respective authors of those programs.)

73, Howard W6HN