Topics

SD card backup process

Manuel Maseda

Just got my RigPi.  Can someone suggest the best method for making a backup copy of the SD card in case it get corrupted?

Manuel W4SSB

Garry Decker <K9WHF@...>

Manuel:
I just bought a RigPi. I can’t find any software for set up on either the RigPi or my iPhone.
I am sorry not to answer your question. I have a RSP3 for my DVAP and my friend and I made several cards in case of a crash, but I do not think we copied the original commander card, we just made another from the Linux download.
This is a great question that Howard Nurse hopefully will answer.
Would you share your commissioning of the RigPi experience for me please?
Thank you Sir,
Garry
W9WHF

On May 17, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Manuel Maseda <mmaseda@...> wrote:

Just got my RigPi.  Can someone suggest the best method for making a backup copy of the SD card in case it get corrupted?

Manuel W4SSB

Manuel Maseda

I just found the backup process documented fully in the help file on the rigpi.net website under Technical - System tabs.

Manuel W4SSB

On May 17, 2019 4:20 PM, Garry Decker <K9WHF@...> wrote:
Manuel:
I just bought a RigPi. I can’t find any software for set up on either the RigPi or my iPhone.
I am sorry not to answer your question. I have a RSP3 for my DVAP and my friend and I made several cards in case of a crash, but I do not think we copied the original commander card, we just made another from the Linux download.
This is a great question that Howard Nurse hopefully will answer.
Would you share your commissioning of the RigPi experience for me please?
Thank you Sir,
Garry
W9WHF

On May 17, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Manuel Maseda <mmaseda@...> wrote:

Just got my RigPi.  Can someone suggest the best method for making a backup copy of the SD card in case it get corrupted?

Manuel W4SSB

Jeff Williams, WJ5FF

Hi Manuel,

I use a free utility Win32DiskImager.

See this link:  https://eltechs.com/raspberry-pi-backup/

Backup your Raspberry PiSDCard usingWINDOWS
  • Download Win32DiskImager from the SourceForge.
  • Safely remove your SD card from the RPi and insert it into your PC slot.
  • Open Win32 Disk Imager.
  • Choose the name and location of the backup file and the letter for your SD card and.
  • Click “Read”

Later if you need to restore/copy the SD use the same utility to write the image to the SD.

Hope this helps.

--Jeff
WJ5FF

Larry

Hi,

It's a good idea to backup/copy your SD card!

The best method is to make a copy of MicroSD image, and to do that you
will need to open the RigPi and remove the MicroSD card. I use the
Windows based Win32DiskImager (available on the Sourceforge.net) to
create a backup file from the Micro SD card. You might want to label
the image with the version (I believe the current version is 1.02).

73,
Larry
K0LEJ

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 2:53 PM Manuel Maseda <mmaseda@...> wrote:

[...]

Ben

Garry
You say you can not find any software for setup on either the RigPi or iPhone. Is this for the copying of the image or is this for normal operation?
If it is for normal operation the RigPi has everything you need preloaded. The iPhone will need Mumble which is in the App store. Take a look at http://rigpi.help/ while you are waiting for the RigPi to arrive to see how it works if you have not already.
For those of us who have Android devices the Plumble program in the Google Play Store is what is needed for the audio link.

Reuben Stapp "Ben"
KB5ZO
Product Development Engineer
MFJ Enterprises, Inc.
662-323-5869

I just bought a RigPi. I can’t find any software for set up on either the RigPi or my iPhone.
I am sorry not to answer your question. I have a RSP3 for my DVAP and my friend and I made several cards in case of a crash, but I do not think we copied the original commander card, we just made another from the Linux download.
This is a great question that Howard Nurse hopefully will answer.
Would you share your commissioning of the RigPi experience for me please?
Thank you Sir,
Garry
W9WHF

On May 17, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Manuel Maseda <mmaseda@...> wrote:

Just got my RigPi.  Can someone suggest the best method for making a backup copy of the SD card in case it get corrupted?

Manuel W4SSB

Larry

Hi Harold,

No problem :)

During the RigPi testing I got very familiar with the Micro SD card
remove-burn-reinstall process, and found Win32DiskImager did a good
job of creating a clean image. I agree with Howard, however, in that
using the built in backup is much easier for the users.

73,
Larry
K0LEJ

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 5:11 PM Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Larry,

I am not disagreeing with you but since the question was posted I was in front of Howard and he suggested the method I posted of using a USB card reader plugged into the RigPi’s. There is no need to open the box and remove the card.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat so either would work.

On May 17, 2019, at 4:46 PM, Larry <k0lejham@...> wrote:

Hi,

It's a good idea to backup/copy your SD card!

The best method is to make a copy of MicroSD image, and to do that you
will need to open the RigPi and remove the MicroSD card. I use the
Windows based Win32DiskImager (available on the Sourceforge.net) to
create a backup file from the Micro SD card. You might want to label
the image with the version (I believe the current version is 1.02).

73,
Larry
K0LEJ

Michael Young

Garry, this works well and as Harold sez no need to remove the sd card.   I’ve used it several times on my RigPi during beta test!

Have Fun!

73
Mike
WB8CXO

On May 17, 2019, at 4:55 PM, Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Garry,

There is a copy command in the RigPi server.   It’s in the menu.

You need a USB card reader/writer that you plug into a usb slot on the RigPi’s.  No need to open the RigPi’s up.   Just start the command and it will copy the S.C. card to the one you plugged in the USB port.

Howard just showed me this.  I hope I was clear.  If not ask away.

Harold

On May 17, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Garry Decker <K9WHF@...> wrote:

Manuel:
I just bought a RigPi. I can’t find any software for set up on either the RigPi or my iPhone.
I am sorry not to answer your question. I have a RSP3 for my DVAP and my friend and I made several cards in case of a crash, but I do not think we copied the original commander card, we just made another from the Linux download.
This is a great question that Howard Nurse hopefully will answer.
Would you share your commissioning of the RigPi experience for me please?
Thank you Sir,
Garry
W9WHF

On May 17, 2019, at 2:53 PM, Manuel Maseda <mmaseda@...> wrote:

Just got my RigPi.  Can someone suggest the best method for making a backup copy of the SD card in case it get corrupted?

Manuel W4SSB

Dennis McCurdy

I have a 32gb sd card in a sd card usb reader/writer. Its formatted as a FAT file.
I have it in RigPi usb slot.

When I go to SD copy in RigPi the copy to option is greyed out...cant select

any thoughts would be appreciated

W4OZ/Dennis

Mark Weisheimer

Have you tried shutting down the RigPi, removing the SD card in the reader, rebooting and then plugging the card back in and trying again?
If that doesn't work, it seems there might be something wrong with that SD.
Do you have another spare, and if so, what does it do?
--
73 - Mark - K8MHW
'A well seasoned RigPi Enthusiast...since April 23, 2019!' - I am not otherwise affiliated with MFJ or RigPi

Dennis McCurdy

yes I have done that a few times

I put it in a windows computer and windows recognizes it

Mark Weisheimer

Try formatting it as FAT32 in the Windows computer, then see if it is recognized by the RPi.
--
73 - Mark - K8MHW
'A well seasoned RigPi Enthusiast...since April 23, 2019!' - I am not otherwise affiliated with MFJ or RigPi

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Unfortunately FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB. The RigPi image is closer to 15GB.  To fix this, format the backup device as NTFS. The necessary drivers have been added to RigPi for using a NTFS USB or MicroSD card backup device.

73, Howard W6HN

Dennis McCurdy

looks like it worked except at the end it said "can not set flags"

Dennis McCurdy

What does it mean when it says “can’t set flags” at the end of copying SD card

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Dennis,

My google searching hasn't turned up an answer.

Here is a link to a YouTube video that shows two ways to copy the SD card, one from Terminal (complicated) and the other from SD Card Copier (simple).  Take a look to see if there is anything done in the simple approach that is different from what you see (aside from the error).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJRPDE7Q4Q

73, Howard W6HN

Dennis McCurdy

Thanks Howard
I am reformatting the card  the long format.
And thank you for such a great product I’m really enjoying it.
 I am also enjoying this forum and watching the evolution of the RigPi

I have all my components controlled by Alexa (radio,tuner,amp,USB switch,RigPi)

Thanks again
W4OZ/Dennis

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Dennis,

Wow, Alexa...Tune to 14027000 CW...for real?  I’m sure many, including me, would like to hear more.

I just ran a copy here using a USB memory stick and the PRi copier.  It completed (in about 40 minutes) without any problems reported.

73, Howard W6HN