Icom 7610 Compatibility

Garry Decker <K9WHF@...>

I am a new subscriber, thanks for allowing me to be a member.
i would like to use the MFJ-1234 on my IC-7610 and possibly on one of my IC-7300’s.
Has anyone successfully accomplished this?
The 7610 is already connected to my router by Ethernet
via its own self contained server and is successfully running RS-BA1, but it is cumbersome and requires the radio to be powered up 100% of the time.
The Radio USB port is already committed to my desktop.
My version of RS-BA1 requires Winders based laptop to run.
I would appreciate comments about this idea. I am quite intrigued with the idea of running a radio from my iPhone
XMax
Thank you
Garry
W9WHF

Michael Young

Garry,
Beta testers have successfully interfaced the RigPi to both the 7300 and 7610.

You simply connect the USB port of either radio to the RigPi’s USB port.  Both Cat control and audio are available via USB.  Now you can access your radio from a browser on any platform.

You will not need the router connection to your 7610 I’d probably leave it for RS-BA1 access.

I do not know if you can control the power via CAT but there’s always a way and that has been discussed.  Gotta save some improvements for the future.  LOL

Beta testers have used RigPi to access their radios from both iOS and Android devices.

Read the Help documents and ask more questions!

73
Mike
WB8CXO

On May 16, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Garry Decker <K9WHF@...> wrote:

I am a new subscriber, thanks for allowing me to be a member.
i would like to use the MFJ-1234 on my IC-7610 and possibly on one of my IC-7300’s.
Has anyone successfully accomplished this?
The 7610 is already connected to my router by Ethernet
via its own self contained server and is successfully running RS-BA1, but it is cumbersome and requires the radio to be powered up 100% of the time.
The Radio USB port is already committed to my desktop.
My version of RS-BA1 requires Winders based laptop to run.
I would appreciate comments about this idea. I am quite intrigued with the idea of running a radio from my iPhone
XMax
Thank you
Garry
W9WHF

Howard Nurse, W6HN

Hi Garry and welcome!

I believe both the 7610 and 7300 support the CAT Power Off and Power On commands, therefore RigPi will accomplish both with both radios.  Furthermore you can have the 7610 and 7300 connected at the same time using two accounts.  Control is completely separate, including a shared or unique log, spot source and filtering, and rotor control. Open one browser for each account.

Normally you will use a USB port on RigPi to connect your radio.  That might conflict with your statement that the radio USB port is already committed.  Tell us more...it might be possible to use a CI-V to USB cable in place of the USB port on the radio.

RigPi can also control an AC power switch if all else fails (see CommCat Help).

73, Howard W6HN (from the 2019 Dayton Hamvention)

WA8KHP -

Hello Gary,

As Mike said RigPi has been successfully interfaced to a 7610 using the USB ports on the radio.  Since your ports are already used and connected to a PC and you don't want to change that connection, you need to look at other connecting  options. Look at the forum topic "RigPi CAT Control Logic" and read the PDF.  You must connect the RigPi to the PC, as I currently view the solution.

The problem then is combining the two seperate ports (RigPi and 7610) virtually.  Both devices are connected to different USB ports so the CAT commands must work between them and other software on the PC.

David - WA8KHP

Garry Decker <K9WHF@...>

Hi Howard:
I am soooo envious that you are at the DHV.
Thank you so much for the quick response which helps me understand this nifty little box.
I have overfilled the 7610 with cables, a few probably unnecessary. The 3.5mm to USB CAT
conversion cable is already in place, attached to my desktop. Both USB ports are connected primarily to facilitate WSJT-X and occasionally HRD as well as RS-BA1.
If a USB splitter was available for the “B” connections and a traffic director was available I suppose it might be possible to add in the MFJ-1234, but I don’t want to try to unhook the spaghetti pile behind the rig to connect the 1234 when I am going away.
I suspect there is a way to do this considering I have the RS-BA1 working using the internal server of the 7610, though it sounds as if that feature won’t be involved.
We have quite a few connectivity options:
3 Routers with WiFi capacity
Each has hard wire paths if needed
Primary WiFi Router/Modem is 200 Mbps
Remote WiFi will be around 80 mbps, both identical WiFi Residential Gateways on Comcast.
Remote devices will be iPad Air and/or iPhone XS Max.
I could use a IC-7100 or a IC-7300 as the homebase radio (s). The best antennas are on the 7610.
I experimented today and locally the 7610  will turn itself on and off using RS-BA1, but that software has a mind of its own and every time Microsoft does an update you start over cleaning up RS-BA1 entries.
The online descriptions of how RRC is applied is “useless  fluff” as I read it.
I appreciate your help sir, I am “all ears”.
Kind Regards,
Garry
W9WHF