IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI


WA8KHP -
 

Howard,

I have a IC-7600 using a SignaLink for digital communications.  The SignaLink has a sound card that connects to the IC-7600 ACC 1 port for analog audio In/Out.  From the SignaLink a USB connection goes to the PC for digital audio that is used by Fldigi plus many other digital programs on the PC.

The USB port on the IC-7600 goes to the PC for CAT Control.  Again many programs on the PC use this CAT interface to control the IC-7600.

I am using a Virtual Serial Port (VSP) program that allows me to take the Cat Control Port from the IC-7600 and the digital audio port from the SignaLink and SPLIT each port which allows multiple software programs on the PC to use them at the same time.

I am not aware of a PORT COMBINER function in the software that I currently have.

1.  How can I use RigPi with my current cable connection?
2.  Can I still use my current cable connections or must I start over with RigPi?
3.  Must I use the Audio In/Out on the MFJ-1234 RigPi for my audio to/from the IC-7600?  How would I connect the RigPi audio to the PC to use my existing digital software?

Another tough question for you which I hope you have an answer for!

See you next Friday...

73

David - WA8KHP


Mark Weisheimer
 

I haven't used that combination, but can't you just connect the 2 USB cables to the RigPi?
Then you would set the default sound to the SignaLink and the radio would be the USB cable that connects from the RigPi to the radio.

Another question, does the IC-7600 have a built in audio card like the 7300?


Michael Young
 

I have successfully interfaced the Elad FDM-DUO to RigPi. The FDM-DUO
uses two USB connections, one for CAT, the other for the internal
soundcard audio. RigPi handles it fine. CPU utilization is about
50-60 and the cpu runs too warm to touch for long but a heat sink
helped and when I changed the rpi over to a M2 SSD, CPU util is half
what it was using mSD. Should work with SignalLink if the sound chip
is supported. I'd try it if I could find my SignalLink! Give it a
try... shud b easier than what you've done so far. Mike, WB8CXO

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 7:51 PM Mark Weisheimer <mweisheimer@gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't used that combination, but can't you just connect the 2 USB cables to the RigPi?
Then you would set the default sound to the SignaLink and the radio would be the USB cable that connects from the RigPi to the radio.

Another question, does the IC-7600 have a built in audio card like the 7300?
--
73
Mike
WB8CXO


Michael Young
 

David, I looked at the IC-7600 manual and it looks like it has an
internal soundcard.

I recently found this document that might help
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectingIcom72007600

Here's an excerpt from that document that discusses the 7600:

"to configure your IC-7600 to accept audio from the USB interface,
decide whether your digital mode operation will employ DATA 1 mode
(D1), DATA 2 mode (D2), DATA 3 mode (D3), or will be accomplished with
DATA mode not in use. Then open the transceiver's ACC SET menu and

set the appropriate entry's signal source to USB, as shown on page 124
of the IC-7600 Instruction Manual

set the USB MOD level to 50% (you can increase or decrease this later
to adjust the audio drive level)"

If you hurry you can try it before ya goto Dayton!

Mike
WB8CXO

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 6:33 PM WA8KHP - <joepic9@gmail.com> wrote:

Howard,

I have a IC-7600 using a SignaLink for digital communications. The SignaLink has a sound card that connects to the IC-7600 ACC 1 port for analog audio In/Out. From the SignaLink a USB connection goes to the PC for digital audio that is used by Fldigi plus many other digital programs on the PC.

The USB port on the IC-7600 goes to the PC for CAT Control. Again many programs on the PC use this CAT interface to control the IC-7600.

I am using a Virtual Serial Port (VSP) program that allows me to take the Cat Control Port from the IC-7600 and the digital audio port from the SignaLink and SPLIT each port which allows multiple software programs on the PC to use them at the same time.

I am not aware of a PORT COMBINER function in the software that I currently have.

1. How can I use RigPi with my current cable connection?
2. Can I still use my current cable connections or must I start over with RigPi?
3. Must I use the Audio In/Out on the MFJ-1234 RigPi for my audio to/from the IC-7600? How would I connect the RigPi audio to the PC to use my existing digital software?

Another tough question for you which I hope you have an answer for!

See you next Friday...

73

David - WA8KHP
--
73
Mike
WB8CXO


WA8KHP -
 

Thanks Mike and Mark for you input.

You both missed the target by a mile!

There are two sub parts to the problem, CAT Control and Audio.  Both of you ONLY talked about Audio.

The main problem is "How can I use RigPi with my current cable connection to my IC-7600?"  Many Hams already have already have Cat and Audio connections working for digital modes.

I do NOT want to give up my digital modes that currently work on the IC-7600.  I just want to add RigPi remote SSB VOICE operation, NO cable changes or changing settings in my IC-7600.  My current hardware using the SignaLink and the data settings in the IC-7600 are perfect!

I do NOT believe it is possible for NON SDR rigs to do both digital data and SSB RigPi communications without changing cable connections and hardware settings in the radio.  A SDR rig can do it.   I am defining an SDR rig as having PC software such as PowerSDR, SmartSDR etc (Apache-Labs, Flex, etc.) and use VAC, VSP or DAX.  RigPi needs to connect to the PC via TCP or USB to Serial cables plus a Null Modem cable like I have done for my Apache-Labs 100D.

I believe Howard is going to need a Disclaimer on what kind of connections RigPi can do. 

David
WA8KHP


Michael Young
 

Well we'll see what Howard sez.

.I got the impression digital modes were intended for local ops but ya
still got the issue of splitting CAT and Audio between the digital
software and RSS.

Mike

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 1:08 AM WA8KHP - <joepic9@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Mike and Mark for you input.

You both missed the target by a mile!

There are two sub parts to the problem, CAT Control and Audio. Both of you ONLY talked about Audio.

The main problem is "How can I use RigPi with my current cable connection to my IC-7600?" Many Hams already have already have Cat and Audio connections working for digital modes.

I do NOT want to give up my digital modes that currently work on the IC-7600. I just want to add RigPi remote SSB VOICE operation, NO cable changes or changing settings in my IC-7600. My current hardware using the SignaLink and the data settings in the IC-7600 are perfect!

I do NOT believe it is possible for NON SDR rigs to do both digital data and SSB RigPi communications without changing cable connections and hardware settings in the radio. A SDR rig can do it. I am defining an SDR rig as having PC software such as PowerSDR, SmartSDR etc (Apache-Labs, Flex, etc.) and use VAC, VSP or DAX. RigPi needs to connect to the PC via TCP or USB to Serial cables plus a Null Modem cable like I have done for my Apache-Labs 100D.

I believe Howard is going to need a Disclaimer on what kind of connections RigPi can do.

David
WA8KHP
--
73
Mike
WB8CXO


Mark Weisheimer
 

I actually did reference the CAT control when I said to connect both of the USB cables to the RigPi.
One is the USB cable between the RigPi and the SignaLink.
The second is the USB cable from the RigPi to the IC-7600 USB port.
That second cable is for CAT in this instance.
Since this is Linux on the RigPi, you don't need a virtual port combiner.
Folks use RPi's and SignaLink already, such as here:

https://groups.io/g/linuxham/topic/howto_interface_signalink_and/5794424?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,5794424

Or, for those that don't have a SignaLink, the IC-7600 can be used with the RigPi directly, but for this discussion, that runs afoul of Mike's current rig settings.


WA8KHP -
 

Mark,

Thanks but again you missed the point.

My IC-7600 is interfaced to a SignaLink for AUDIO then the USB B port on the SignaLink goes to a USB A port on the PC giving me a digital audio connection.  The IC-7600 CAT Control uses the USB port B and is directly connected to a USB port A on my PC.

This is digital mode communication that many Hams already have already working with Cat and Audio connections from their rigs to a PC.  Some of them may not need the SignaLink for audio as the newer rigs have this function internally.

The new potential RigPi users just want to add SSB communication for remote operation using RigPi.


I do not want to connect the IC-7600 directly to the RigPi as you reference in your link that breakes my digital software connection to my PC.

Remember this is NOT EITHER OR but BOTH digital for local use and SSB for remote use without changing cables or rig configurations.

RigPi must do a NETWORK connection to the PC for CAT Control and then use Mumble on the PC for Audio.  There are two problems with this connection to my IC-7600.  The audio level is set for data levels NOT microphone/speaker inputs/outputs on the IC-7600 and I am not aware of a way to combine or bridge two USB ports for CAT Control on the PC.

David
WA8KHP