Date   
Re: New file uploaded to RigPi@groups.io

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi Papi,

 

Many FTdx-3000 owners have been using the FTdx-5000 selection in my Windows program, CommCat, for some time.  If there are any issues, the folks maintaining the Hamlib libraries are very responsive.

 

--Howard

 

From: RigPi@groups.io [mailto:RigPi@groups.io] On Behalf Of Papi
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 4:49 AM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] New file uploaded to RigPi@groups.io

 

Oops! Just saw your comment re. the 3000/5000. I sure hope you're right! BTW, tried to download Hamlib 3.3 yesterday and my computer balked. Any known issues with it? It wasn't a firewall issue either. Hmmm...

Rigpi OS/Audio Board/Keyer on Raspberry Pi Screen

Terence Taylor <n6mon@...>
 

I wonder if the Rigpi image would support running on a Pi. but using a 7/9/12" display attached to the Raspberry Pi display connector or the HDMI output, eliminating the need for another computer for portable ops or does it only run in server mode?

Re: Rigpi OS/Audio Board/Keyer on Raspberry Pi Screen

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi Terence, and welcome!

Yes, indeed, you can use the display you've described with RigPi,  One of our RigPi Beta testers has been using a small screen connected to a Raspberry Pi with no issues.

Once you open the RSS Desktop, there is an icon to open a Chrome browser to access RigPi right there.  You can also use any cell phone or tablet remotely and set up an ad hoc Wi-Fi network on the RPi.  That makes it easy to use a mobile device through a Wi-Fi connection when you have RigPi along with you on that remote island in the Pacific where there is no Internet service.  Work you from that atoll!

73, Howard W6HN

Re: Does Rigpi require port forwarding

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

There are ways to set a up a VNC connection without port forwarding, which would give you access to the RSS Desktop (and RigPi) through your Verizon connection.  That plus a remote Mumble server should get you going.  It will take further research to figure it all out...start by googling ‘VNC without port forwarding.’

—Howard

Re: Rigpi OS/Audio Board/Keyer on Raspberry Pi Screen

Terence Taylor <n6mon@...>
 

Thanks, Howard, that is GREAT news!

On 5/8/2019 9:56 AM, Howard Nurse wrote:
Hi Terence, and welcome!

Yes, indeed, you can use the display you've described with RigPi, One of our RigPi Beta testers has been using a small screen connected to a Raspberry Pi with no issues.

Once you open the RSS Desktop, there is an icon to open a Chrome browser to access RigPi right there.  You can also use any cell phone or tablet remotely and set up an ad hoc Wi-Fi network on the RPi.  That makes it easy to use a mobile device through a Wi-Fi connection when you have RigPi along with you on that remote island in the Pacific where there is no Internet service.  Work you from that atoll!

73, Howard W6HN

Re: Does Rigpi require port forwarding

Kurt Lautenschlager
 

You may also see if your router has a DMZ, this will allow you to add the IP of the RigPi.  Sort of does the same thing as port forward by allow 1 device access to all ports.

I use this currently setting on my RemoteRig setup with no problems.

Kurt Lautenschlager 
W1WWA

On May 8, 2019, at 10:11, Howard Nurse <hlnurse@...> wrote:

There are ways to set a up a VNC connection without port forwarding, which would give you access to the RSS Desktop (and RigPi) through your Verizon connection.  That plus a remote Mumble server should get you going.  It will take further research to figure it all out...start by googling ‘VNC without port forwarding.’

—Howard

Using Netgear routers with RigPi

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Newer Netgear routers have two features that really come in handy. 

You can set up a free dynamic dns account which your router updates with any IP changes on the Internet side.  This is much more economical than dyndns.com which charges $55/year. With this service, you can connect using <your call>.mynetgear.com rather that by using the Internet IP currently assigned to your connection (which can change).  

Netgear routers also provide what they call Remote Management, allowing you to log in while away from home to change port forwarding if necessary.  This is handy if you haven't set up a static IP on RigPi and it reboots for some reason and is assigned a new IP.

You might be wondering what port forwarding is.  For security reasons, routers are set up to shield you local network from incoming connections from the outside world.  After all, you don't want just anyone to intrude on your system!  Port forwarding provides a bridge through your router for one or a range of ports.  You can connect to RigPi from a remote location using port forwarding.  Be sure to enable password protection on your RigPi before allowing access to the outside world!  There is more info about port forwarding in RigPPi Help.

Other router brands may provide the same or equivalent services.

(Disclaimer: I don't have any connection with Netgear!)

73, Howard W6HN

Re: New file uploaded to RigPi@groups.io

Papi <papiflaps@...>
 

Thanks Howard. I guess my apprehensions are premature having had issues with other so-called compatible devices recently. Thanks for confirming. I'm sure I'll have many more questions...just a warning...LOL I appreciate your response!

RigPi Firmware SD Card back ordered on MFJ

Marc
 

I ordered the RigPi SD card, 'RIGPI OS FIRMWARE FOR MFJ-1234' part#  MFJ-1234SD from MFJ a week ago and just today got an email saying it was back ordered with no indication of when it would be fulfilled.
While I am waiting is there a way to download a sd card image (even a beta version) so I can make an sd card and get started learning how it might work for my station?
I notice on the RigPi web site there is a reference to an open source download, but the link seems to go to the github home page only.
Thanks.

Re: RigPi Firmware SD Card back ordered on MFJ

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi Marc, and welcome!

Once the dust settles a bit I will begin to have time to activate the GitHub repository.  Note that RigPi is open source except for the tool used to create the graphic components on the main Tuner window.  One of the first tasks is to create open source replacements for the frequency panel, s-meter and tuning knob.

The GitHub repository will only include the RigPi software, so you will need to install a LAMP stack on your Raspberry Pi to get going.  There are plenty of sites you can find by googling that help with that process.

I’m looking forward to having additional folks involved as we move forward!

MFJ is finishing up the first production run now, so shipments will begin soon!

73, Howard W6HN

Re: RigPi Firmware SD Card back ordered on MFJ

David Bodman, KD4CLJ
 

Glad to hear that...placed an order, didn't get the delayed email, and was wondering what was going on..

Just got a 7300, and been trying to do a Pi interface myself, but not seeing the whole picture yet.

BTW...I'm doing documentation for several other projects, but who do I shoot documentation boo-boos to? Spotted one, and I can keep my eye out for more..

(I know...for 3 versions of a double-sided trifold, I had the exact same sentence in two different paragraphs, and no one spotted it!)

I await my delivery with baited breathe!

Re: RigPi Firmware SD Card back ordered on MFJ

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi David and welcome to the RigPi Forum!

Thanks for seeing an error in RigPi Help, I'm sure there are more!  Please send the info to rigpi at commcat.com and I'll make the corrections.

Thanks!

73, Howard W6HN

IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI

WA8KHP -
 

Howard,

I have a IC-7600 using a SignaLink for digital communications.  The SignaLink has a sound card that connects to the IC-7600 ACC 1 port for analog audio In/Out.  From the SignaLink a USB connection goes to the PC for digital audio that is used by Fldigi plus many other digital programs on the PC.

The USB port on the IC-7600 goes to the PC for CAT Control.  Again many programs on the PC use this CAT interface to control the IC-7600.

I am using a Virtual Serial Port (VSP) program that allows me to take the Cat Control Port from the IC-7600 and the digital audio port from the SignaLink and SPLIT each port which allows multiple software programs on the PC to use them at the same time.

I am not aware of a PORT COMBINER function in the software that I currently have.

1.  How can I use RigPi with my current cable connection?
2.  Can I still use my current cable connections or must I start over with RigPi?
3.  Must I use the Audio In/Out on the MFJ-1234 RigPi for my audio to/from the IC-7600?  How would I connect the RigPi audio to the PC to use my existing digital software?

Another tough question for you which I hope you have an answer for!

See you next Friday...

73

David - WA8KHP

Re: IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI

Mark Weisheimer
 

I haven't used that combination, but can't you just connect the 2 USB cables to the RigPi?
Then you would set the default sound to the SignaLink and the radio would be the USB cable that connects from the RigPi to the radio.

Another question, does the IC-7600 have a built in audio card like the 7300?

Re: IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI

Michael Young
 

I have successfully interfaced the Elad FDM-DUO to RigPi. The FDM-DUO
uses two USB connections, one for CAT, the other for the internal
soundcard audio. RigPi handles it fine. CPU utilization is about
50-60 and the cpu runs too warm to touch for long but a heat sink
helped and when I changed the rpi over to a M2 SSD, CPU util is half
what it was using mSD. Should work with SignalLink if the sound chip
is supported. I'd try it if I could find my SignalLink! Give it a
try... shud b easier than what you've done so far. Mike, WB8CXO

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 7:51 PM Mark Weisheimer <mweisheimer@...> wrote:

I haven't used that combination, but can't you just connect the 2 USB cables to the RigPi?
Then you would set the default sound to the SignaLink and the radio would be the USB cable that connects from the RigPi to the radio.

Another question, does the IC-7600 have a built in audio card like the 7300?
--
73
Mike
WB8CXO

Re: IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI

Michael Young
 

David, I looked at the IC-7600 manual and it looks like it has an
internal soundcard.

I recently found this document that might help
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectingIcom72007600

Here's an excerpt from that document that discusses the 7600:

"to configure your IC-7600 to accept audio from the USB interface,
decide whether your digital mode operation will employ DATA 1 mode
(D1), DATA 2 mode (D2), DATA 3 mode (D3), or will be accomplished with
DATA mode not in use. Then open the transceiver's ACC SET menu and

set the appropriate entry's signal source to USB, as shown on page 124
of the IC-7600 Instruction Manual

set the USB MOD level to 50% (you can increase or decrease this later
to adjust the audio drive level)"

If you hurry you can try it before ya goto Dayton!

Mike
WB8CXO

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 6:33 PM WA8KHP - <joepic9@...> wrote:

Howard,

I have a IC-7600 using a SignaLink for digital communications. The SignaLink has a sound card that connects to the IC-7600 ACC 1 port for analog audio In/Out. From the SignaLink a USB connection goes to the PC for digital audio that is used by Fldigi plus many other digital programs on the PC.

The USB port on the IC-7600 goes to the PC for CAT Control. Again many programs on the PC use this CAT interface to control the IC-7600.

I am using a Virtual Serial Port (VSP) program that allows me to take the Cat Control Port from the IC-7600 and the digital audio port from the SignaLink and SPLIT each port which allows multiple software programs on the PC to use them at the same time.

I am not aware of a PORT COMBINER function in the software that I currently have.

1. How can I use RigPi with my current cable connection?
2. Can I still use my current cable connections or must I start over with RigPi?
3. Must I use the Audio In/Out on the MFJ-1234 RigPi for my audio to/from the IC-7600? How would I connect the RigPi audio to the PC to use my existing digital software?

Another tough question for you which I hope you have an answer for!

See you next Friday...

73

David - WA8KHP
--
73
Mike
WB8CXO

Re: IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI

WA8KHP -
 

Thanks Mike and Mark for you input.

You both missed the target by a mile!

There are two sub parts to the problem, CAT Control and Audio.  Both of you ONLY talked about Audio.

The main problem is "How can I use RigPi with my current cable connection to my IC-7600?"  Many Hams already have already have Cat and Audio connections working for digital modes.

I do NOT want to give up my digital modes that currently work on the IC-7600.  I just want to add RigPi remote SSB VOICE operation, NO cable changes or changing settings in my IC-7600.  My current hardware using the SignaLink and the data settings in the IC-7600 are perfect!

I do NOT believe it is possible for NON SDR rigs to do both digital data and SSB RigPi communications without changing cable connections and hardware settings in the radio.  A SDR rig can do it.   I am defining an SDR rig as having PC software such as PowerSDR, SmartSDR etc (Apache-Labs, Flex, etc.) and use VAC, VSP or DAX.  RigPi needs to connect to the PC via TCP or USB to Serial cables plus a Null Modem cable like I have done for my Apache-Labs 100D.

I believe Howard is going to need a Disclaimer on what kind of connections RigPi can do. 

David
WA8KHP

Re: IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI

Michael Young
 

Well we'll see what Howard sez.

.I got the impression digital modes were intended for local ops but ya
still got the issue of splitting CAT and Audio between the digital
software and RSS.

Mike

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 1:08 AM WA8KHP - <joepic9@...> wrote:

Thanks Mike and Mark for you input.

You both missed the target by a mile!

There are two sub parts to the problem, CAT Control and Audio. Both of you ONLY talked about Audio.

The main problem is "How can I use RigPi with my current cable connection to my IC-7600?" Many Hams already have already have Cat and Audio connections working for digital modes.

I do NOT want to give up my digital modes that currently work on the IC-7600. I just want to add RigPi remote SSB VOICE operation, NO cable changes or changing settings in my IC-7600. My current hardware using the SignaLink and the data settings in the IC-7600 are perfect!

I do NOT believe it is possible for NON SDR rigs to do both digital data and SSB RigPi communications without changing cable connections and hardware settings in the radio. A SDR rig can do it. I am defining an SDR rig as having PC software such as PowerSDR, SmartSDR etc (Apache-Labs, Flex, etc.) and use VAC, VSP or DAX. RigPi needs to connect to the PC via TCP or USB to Serial cables plus a Null Modem cable like I have done for my Apache-Labs 100D.

I believe Howard is going to need a Disclaimer on what kind of connections RigPi can do.

David
WA8KHP
--
73
Mike
WB8CXO

Re: IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI

Mark Weisheimer
 

I actually did reference the CAT control when I said to connect both of the USB cables to the RigPi.
One is the USB cable between the RigPi and the SignaLink.
The second is the USB cable from the RigPi to the IC-7600 USB port.
That second cable is for CAT in this instance.
Since this is Linux on the RigPi, you don't need a virtual port combiner.
Folks use RPi's and SignaLink already, such as here:

https://groups.io/g/linuxham/topic/howto_interface_signalink_and/5794424?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,5794424

Or, for those that don't have a SignaLink, the IC-7600 can be used with the RigPi directly, but for this discussion, that runs afoul of Mike's current rig settings.

Re: IC-7600 -- SignaLink -- RigPI

WA8KHP -
 

Mark,

Thanks but again you missed the point.

My IC-7600 is interfaced to a SignaLink for AUDIO then the USB B port on the SignaLink goes to a USB A port on the PC giving me a digital audio connection.  The IC-7600 CAT Control uses the USB port B and is directly connected to a USB port A on my PC.

This is digital mode communication that many Hams already have already working with Cat and Audio connections from their rigs to a PC.  Some of them may not need the SignaLink for audio as the newer rigs have this function internally.

The new potential RigPi users just want to add SSB communication for remote operation using RigPi.


I do not want to connect the IC-7600 directly to the RigPi as you reference in your link that breakes my digital software connection to my PC.

Remember this is NOT EITHER OR but BOTH digital for local use and SSB for remote use without changing cables or rig configurations.

RigPi must do a NETWORK connection to the PC for CAT Control and then use Mumble on the PC for Audio.  There are two problems with this connection to my IC-7600.  The audio level is set for data levels NOT microphone/speaker inputs/outputs on the IC-7600 and I am not aware of a way to combine or bridge two USB ports for CAT Control on the PC.

David
WA8KHP