Date   

Re: SD Card Shipping

Ben
 

The first run of 100 to verify there was no production issues has been sent out. The second run should be completed in the next 2-3 weeks.
 
Reuben Stapp "Ben"
KB5ZO
Product Development Engineer
MFJ Enterprises, Inc.
662-323-5869
 



From: RigPi@groups.io [mailto:RigPi@groups.io] On Behalf Of ronwright.us@...
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 8:55 PM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: [RigPi] SD Card Shipping

I see that people are starting to receive orders. Any idea what the backlog currently is. I’m waiting on just the SD card. Been on backorder for about 3 weeks. 

—Ron, KA5LUG
--
Reuben Stapp "Ben"
KB5ZO
Product Development Engineer
MFJ Enterprises, Inc.
662-323-5869
 


Connecting Icom radios to RigPi

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 
Edited

Here are steps to take to connect to most Icom radios for CAT control.  These steps do not cover audio, which will be covered in a separate Topic.

  1. In the Icom radio menu, turn OFF CI-V Transceive.
  2. In the Icom radio menu, turn OFF AutoBaud and set it to the highest possible value.
  3. If your radio has a USB connection, check the radio menu options for anything to do with setting the CAT to the CI-V port or the USB port and make sure it is set to USB.
  4. In RigPi use the Basic Radio settings to try to connect.
  5. If Basic Radio doesn’t connect, try Advanced Settings and use the Test Radio button.
  6. In the resulting report, check the -r argument to make sure it is the USB port used by the radio.  Normally this is /dev/ttyUSB0
  7. If no connection, try setting the Baud rate to the value you used in the radio menu.
  8. No other changes to the default settings should be necessary.

If you continue to have problems, reboot and try again.

Make note of the radio model number you see in the Test Radio report, it is -m xxx where xxx is the Hamlib radio model number.  It will be used next.

  1. Next, reboot and open Terminal (black icon, top left) in the Raspberry Pi desktop. You can get to the desktop by connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse to RigPi.
  2. In Terminal, type:  rigctl -m xxx -r /dev/ttyUSB0
  3. If you see the prompt Command:, type f.
  4. You should see the radio frequency returned, and the Hamlib library is working.
  5. If you se an error, type Q to quit.
  6. Restart using the command: rigctl -m xxx -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvvv (the v’s start rigctl in the debug mode)
  7. Use f and look at the report to see if any clues are provided.

  1. If all else fails, can you control the radio with any other software.  You are welcome to download the 30-day free demo version of CommCat for Windows, http://commcat.com/ccldownloads.php, or use any other program (such as HRD) to make sure the radio settings, cable and radio functioning are OK.
  2. Try resetting the radio.

This topic will be updated as we learn more.  You will also find flow charts in the Files section that show you the steps to take in a different format.  RigPi Help has a Troubleshooting section that will also help connecting radios.

73, Howard W6HN


Re: RigPi versus RemoteHams

DD8JM <joerg@...>
 

Hello,
The big advantage for me is that I don't need a client to use it.
That I can operate my station from any browser of any PC system.

For me the difference in latency between RemoteHams and RigPI is interesting.

I am curious about the further development.

Many greetings

Jörg, DD8JM

www.cq-nrw.de


Ettus N200 USRP

Jim Breakall <jimpsu@...>
 

Will the RigPi RSS work with an Ettus N200 USRP?

Thanks for any info since I have several of these units.

73  Jim  WA3FET


Re: Icom 7610 settings

Michael Young
 

Ed, try going to Settings>Advanced Radio and click on "Disable Split
Polling". Its on the right side (column) of the screen.

Mike
WB8CXO

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 9:57 PM james little <Climaxboop@gmail.com> wrote:

What about a successful connection to ic7300?
K4JUO

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 9:54 PM Ed Helms <n4zvncell@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone have a successful connection with the IC-7610? I can get a connect but the ptt keeps going on and off until I disconnect the radio. Any suggestions ?
--
73
Mike
WB8CXO


SD Card Shipping

Ron Wright - KA5LUG
 

I see that people are starting to receive orders. Any idea what the backlog currently is. I’m waiting on just the SD card. Been on backorder for about 3 weeks. 

—Ron, KA5LUG


Re: Icom 7610 settings

james little <Climaxboop@...>
 

What about a successful connection to ic7300?
K4JUO

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 9:54 PM Ed Helms <n4zvncell@...> wrote:
Anyone have a successful connection with the IC-7610?  I can get a connect but the ptt keeps going on and off until I disconnect the radio. Any suggestions ?


Icom 7610 settings

Ed Helms
 

Anyone have a successful connection with the IC-7610?  I can get a connect but the ptt keeps going on and off until I disconnect the radio. Any suggestions ?


Re: Using the RJ-45 audio connector

Adam Hosa
 

I sent an email to MFJ support referencing this thread, asking whether a jumper was supposed to come with the cable. The MFJ website doesnt mention any that I can tell. So Im still wondering...

This part of the help file confused me a bit:

The easiest way to connect audio to a radio is through a rear-panel accessory (Data) inputjack. Most radios that provide this connection also require PTT at that jack to switch audio input from the front-panel microphone jack to the accessory jack. The PTT connection on the ring of the TX OUT connector can be used for this purpose

Does this mean that I need to connect something from the Pi to my Front panel mic jack on my 718? I have the cable connected from my data input jack on the rig to the RJ45 on the pi.

Adam


Re: JP1 Jumper Question

Adam Hosa
 

Haha sorry, I reversed what I meant to say, it was on 2-3 when i opened it up, rather than 1-2. I had switched it back (just wanted to pass that along in case others pi's came that way, didnt know if it would have had any adverse effects)

Adam


Re: Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi Harold,

I have to quit here for the evening, but the next step is to use the Terminal window to talk directly to the radio with rigctl as a test.  You can see how to do that by looking at other message threads here on the forum.

You can get to the Raspberry Pi desktop using VNC Viewer from your PC. Login is pi, password is 7388. Download VNC Viewer for your computer.

I’ll be back in the morning.

Howard

X

On May 20, 2019, at 8:48 PM, Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Howard,

I just looked and the 7600 is indeed 363 so that is correct.  I did as you suggested on the stop bits but no luck.

I am accessing the RigPi on my PC via the IP address.   Will it give us anymore information hooked directly to a monitor?  In would be a pain to hook it up directly but I can if it will help.

Any other things you can think of to try.

Harold


From: RigPi@groups.io <RigPi@groups.io> on behalf of Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:38 PM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection
 
Also try setting stop bits to default.

I’m a bit confused by the -m (model) set to 363. I think the -m for the 7600 is 122, but that number comes from the Model setting. Is there a chance that another model ended up in the settings box?

Howard

X

On May 20, 2019, at 8:26 PM, Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Howard,

I did update to version 1.02 first.  Not sure what you updated but thought it worth mentioning.

Harold


From: RigPi@groups.io <RigPi@groups.io> on behalf of Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:22 PM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection
 
Howard,

I didn't have the CI-V transceive off but it is now.  I had the baud rate set to default in the advanced radio.  The radio is set to 9600 as default after my reset.  I had the advanced radio baud set to default.

After turning off the CI-V transceive off it did not connect so I set the baud rate in your program to 9600 which matches the radio.

It still doesn't connect.  I now get this:

rigctld processes running:

www-data 1235 0.0 0.4 14728 3832 ? Sl 17:14 0:00 rigctld -m 363 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 --set-conf stop_bits=1

Error connecting to radio (RPRT -13)(0). Check radio connection and settings. Is the radio powered up? Please try again.



Any other ideas?

Harold


From: RigPi@groups.io <RigPi@groups.io> on behalf of Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:11 PM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection
 
Hi Harold,

Glad you had a safe trip home!

I see the Baud rate is being set to 9600.  Make sure it is set to 9600 in your radio menu, don’t use Autobaud.

Turn off CI-V Transceive in the radio menu.

You shouldn’t need to set the number of stop bits, set that to Default.

Let’s see if this gets you going.

73, Howard W6HN 

X

On May 20, 2019, at 7:51 PM, Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Hello All,
 
Just got back from Dayton.  It was a long drive.
 
I have spent the last 5 hours trying to get the RigPi connected to my Icom 7600.  All I care about is the cat control for now. I’ll deal with any audio issues later.
 
I have the A/B type USB cable connected between the rig and the RigPi.  I believe the RigPi knows the radio is there because R-port shows up in the “advanced radio”.  If I remove the USB cable and refresh it goes away but I can’t get it to connect.
 
I reset the radio to start from fresh.
 
I went into the “Advance Radio” menu and tested the connection.  I get this: 
rigctld processes running:

www-data 1253 0.0 0.4 14728 3884 ? S 16:33 0:00 rigctld -m 363 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 9600 --set-conf stop_bits=1

Error connecting to radio (RPRT -13)(0). Check radio connection and settings. Is the radio powered up? Please try again.
 
So at this point I am working in the blind.  Can anyone give me any ideas on how to figure out what’s wrong.  I have read the “Advanced Radio” chapter in the Help area but still can’t figure it out.
 
I’m stuck.  Any ideas?
 
 
Harold


Re: JP1 Jumper Question

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Adam, pins 2-3 are used for KX3 power on, pins 1-2 for normal PTT.

You can confirm this in RigPi Help>RSS Connections>RigPi Audio.

Howard

X

On May 20, 2019, at 6:47 PM, Adam Hosa via Groups.Io <Ifone@...> wrote:

I noticed when I opened the Pi, the JP1 jumper was set on pin 1/2 for the KX3 power on pulse. Does this need to be on 2/3 by default instead?

Adam


Re: Login Broke with update

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

The version check is run the first time the Tuner window is opened. It sounds like something got cross wired along the way. It should be fine now.

—Howard

X

On May 20, 2019, at 8:08 PM, A Kiddoo <kt0tt.ham@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Kept trying- got it to work]

Ignore this - I can login with 'admin' and password I set but it is a tad confusing.


Just starting out. Set password. Went to 'dummy' radio and then 'update available' window pops-up. Clicked the update, restarted and went to login-"please try again". Will not accept password and can not login by 'admin' with no password. 


Re: Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection

james little <Climaxboop@...>
 

Howard, could you put a step by step for the ic7300 on here?  Thanks.  K4JUO

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 8:22 PM Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:
Howard,

I didn't have the CI-V transceive off but it is now.  I had the baud rate set to default in the advanced radio.  The radio is set to 9600 as default after my reset.  I had the advanced radio baud set to default.

After turning off the CI-V transceive off it did not connect so I set the baud rate in your program to 9600 which matches the radio.

It still doesn't connect.  I now get this:

rigctld processes running:

www-data 1235 0.0 0.4 14728 3832 ? Sl 17:14 0:00 rigctld -m 363 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 --set-conf stop_bits=1

Error connecting to radio (RPRT -13)(0). Check radio connection and settings. Is the radio powered up? Please try again.



Any other ideas?

Harold


From: RigPi@groups.io <RigPi@groups.io> on behalf of Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:11 PM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection
 
Hi Harold,

Glad you had a safe trip home!

I see the Baud rate is being set to 9600.  Make sure it is set to 9600 in your radio menu, don’t use Autobaud.

Turn off CI-V Transceive in the radio menu.

You shouldn’t need to set the number of stop bits, set that to Default.

Let’s see if this gets you going.

73, Howard W6HN 

X

On May 20, 2019, at 7:51 PM, Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Hello All,
 
Just got back from Dayton.  It was a long drive.
 
I have spent the last 5 hours trying to get the RigPi connected to my Icom 7600.  All I care about is the cat control for now. I’ll deal with any audio issues later.
 
I have the A/B type USB cable connected between the rig and the RigPi.  I believe the RigPi knows the radio is there because R-port shows up in the “advanced radio”.  If I remove the USB cable and refresh it goes away but I can’t get it to connect.
 
I reset the radio to start from fresh.
 
I went into the “Advance Radio” menu and tested the connection.  I get this: 
rigctld processes running:

www-data 1253 0.0 0.4 14728 3884 ? S 16:33 0:00 rigctld -m 363 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 9600 --set-conf stop_bits=1

Error connecting to radio (RPRT -13)(0). Check radio connection and settings. Is the radio powered up? Please try again.
 
So at this point I am working in the blind.  Can anyone give me any ideas on how to figure out what’s wrong.  I have read the “Advanced Radio” chapter in the Help area but still can’t figure it out.
 
I’m stuck.  Any ideas?
 
 
Harold


Re: Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Also try setting stop bits to default.

I’m a bit confused by the -m (model) set to 363. I think the -m for the 7600 is 122, but that number comes from the Model setting. Is there a chance that another model ended up in the settings box?

Howard

X

On May 20, 2019, at 8:26 PM, Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Howard,

I did update to version 1.02 first.  Not sure what you updated but thought it worth mentioning.

Harold


From: RigPi@groups.io <RigPi@groups.io> on behalf of Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:22 PM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection
 
Howard,

I didn't have the CI-V transceive off but it is now.  I had the baud rate set to default in the advanced radio.  The radio is set to 9600 as default after my reset.  I had the advanced radio baud set to default.

After turning off the CI-V transceive off it did not connect so I set the baud rate in your program to 9600 which matches the radio.

It still doesn't connect.  I now get this:

rigctld processes running:

www-data 1235 0.0 0.4 14728 3832 ? Sl 17:14 0:00 rigctld -m 363 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 --set-conf stop_bits=1

Error connecting to radio (RPRT -13)(0). Check radio connection and settings. Is the radio powered up? Please try again.



Any other ideas?

Harold


From: RigPi@groups.io <RigPi@groups.io> on behalf of Howard Nurse, W6HN <hlnurse@...>
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:11 PM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection
 
Hi Harold,

Glad you had a safe trip home!

I see the Baud rate is being set to 9600.  Make sure it is set to 9600 in your radio menu, don’t use Autobaud.

Turn off CI-V Transceive in the radio menu.

You shouldn’t need to set the number of stop bits, set that to Default.

Let’s see if this gets you going.

73, Howard W6HN 

X

On May 20, 2019, at 7:51 PM, Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Hello All,
 
Just got back from Dayton.  It was a long drive.
 
I have spent the last 5 hours trying to get the RigPi connected to my Icom 7600.  All I care about is the cat control for now. I’ll deal with any audio issues later.
 
I have the A/B type USB cable connected between the rig and the RigPi.  I believe the RigPi knows the radio is there because R-port shows up in the “advanced radio”.  If I remove the USB cable and refresh it goes away but I can’t get it to connect.
 
I reset the radio to start from fresh.
 
I went into the “Advance Radio” menu and tested the connection.  I get this: 
rigctld processes running:

www-data 1253 0.0 0.4 14728 3884 ? S 16:33 0:00 rigctld -m 363 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 9600 --set-conf stop_bits=1

Error connecting to radio (RPRT -13)(0). Check radio connection and settings. Is the radio powered up? Please try again.
 
So at this point I am working in the blind.  Can anyone give me any ideas on how to figure out what’s wrong.  I have read the “Advanced Radio” chapter in the Help area but still can’t figure it out.
 
I’m stuck.  Any ideas?
 
 
Harold


Re: Login Broke with update

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

We will have to go through a back door to reset your password. I hope to get the steps correct, not in front of RigPi.

I recommend connecting an HDMI monitor to RigPi, plus keyboard and mouse. You will see the Raspberry Pi Desktop.

Look for the program called MyPHPAdmin in the Raspberry Pi menu and start it. (Click the raspberry, upper left.). User is root and password is 7388.

Look for station in the database list and expand it. Look for and select users. Use Browse from the menu bar. Scroll right until you see Password.  Double-click to select the value and delete it.

Exit and restart RigPi. You can log in without a password.

Congrats, you now are on your way to understanding MySQL databases!

—Howard

X

On May 20, 2019, at 8:08 PM, A Kiddoo <kt0tt.ham@...> wrote:

Just starting out. Set password. Went to 'dummy' radio and then 'update available' window pops-up. Clicked the update, restarted and went to login-"please try again". Will not accept password and can not login by 'admin' with no password.

Something is broke? What size hammer do I need?


Re: RigPi versus RemoteHams

Tom Schaefer NY4I
 

Howard,

Multiple users can be connected but it is a single radio. No on the iOS client.

N1MM/HRD does not know it is not connecting to a radio serial port. The remotehams client emulates a K3 so the local N1MM thinks it is talking to a K3. But...the remote can be any radio supported by the server. Certainly the Big 3 and Elecraft and Ten Tec. I have not checked the whole list.

Physical keying is handled by the Windows RemoteHams server. I use RTS/DTR for CW on the K3 so I would have to look up how you do that with radios that do not support keying via the same serial port. If I recall from the manual, you setup a serial port CW interface and the RH server software can key that way as well.

Just for the record, it is not my intention to suggest one above the other. I was simply answering a question based on my experience. I was first interested in RigPi to see if I could replace RemoteHams so get use with the web browser, but with the things you do not have yet (understandably so), I have to wait (remote CW by paddle/straight key, amp control, logging control serial port). But I look forward to the time they may be in your product.

Tom


Re: Need Help with Icom 7600 Cat connection

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi Harold,

Glad you had a safe trip home!

I see the Baud rate is being set to 9600.  Make sure it is set to 9600 in your radio menu, don’t use Autobaud.

Turn off CI-V Transceive in the radio menu.

You shouldn’t need to set the number of stop bits, set that to Default.

Let’s see if this gets you going.

73, Howard W6HN 

X

On May 20, 2019, at 7:51 PM, Harold Rosee <wa5zzt@...> wrote:

Hello All,
 
Just got back from Dayton.  It was a long drive.
 
I have spent the last 5 hours trying to get the RigPi connected to my Icom 7600.  All I care about is the cat control for now. I’ll deal with any audio issues later.
 
I have the A/B type USB cable connected between the rig and the RigPi.  I believe the RigPi knows the radio is there because R-port shows up in the “advanced radio”.  If I remove the USB cable and refresh it goes away but I can’t get it to connect.
 
I reset the radio to start from fresh.
 
I went into the “Advance Radio” menu and tested the connection.  I get this: 
rigctld processes running:

www-data 1253 0.0 0.4 14728 3884 ? S 16:33 0:00 rigctld -m 363 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -t 4532 -s 9600 --set-conf stop_bits=1

Error connecting to radio (RPRT -13)(0). Check radio connection and settings. Is the radio powered up? Please try again.
 
So at this point I am working in the blind.  Can anyone give me any ideas on how to figure out what’s wrong.  I have read the “Advanced Radio” chapter in the Help area but still can’t figure it out.
 
I’m stuck.  Any ideas?
 
 
Harold


Login Broke with update

A Kiddoo <kt0tt.ham@...>
 
Edited

Ignore this - I can login with 'admin' and password I set but it is a tad confusing.


Just starting out. Set password. Went to 'dummy' radio and then 'update available' window pops-up. Clicked the update, restarted and went to login-"please try again". Will not accept password and can not login by 'admin' with no password. 


Re: (RPRT -13)(0) from IC7300.

Howard Nurse, W6HN
 

Hi David,

The program to set up radio1 is on the Raspberry Pi Desktop.  You will see the icon there for USB ID.  When you run that program it will guide you through the process.  Only after running USB ID will radio1 show up in the list.

Linux has a nasty habit of reassigning ttyUSB ports.  You should still see a ttyUSBx in the port list, just select that one and restart the radio.  Once you have set up radio1 you will have a consistent port to connect to.

73, Howard W6HN

7841 - 7860 of 8159