Re: Rigpi setup, data line

Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@...>

Nothing found with a search about non managed-vs managed switches.

But here is some info:

https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/53556/is-there-a-performance-difference-between-a-managed-an-unmanaged-network-switch

A bit more here:

https://community.fs.com/blog/understanding-network-latency-in-ethernet-switches.html

And one more:

https://www.quora.com/How-much-extra-latency-does-a-network-switch-add-on

Merry Christmas

Thanks
Jim W7RY
On 12/22/2020 3:54 PM, Dave Jordan wrote:

Sure... go to Apache Labs group and search ...

Dave
Wa3gin

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 4:46 PM Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@...> wrote:
Can you site a document to your claims? 

Thanks and 73 W7RY
Sent from my wireless communicator

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020, 2:02 PM Dave Jordan <wa3gin@...> wrote:
I selected the Netgear 208 specifically because it is an UNmanaged switch.  Managed switches often cause delays in the streaming data whose symptom is associated and typically results in intermittent choppiness in the receive and transmit VOIP audio.  If you decide to take the switch route be aware of this difference.  For a few bucks more you guarantee this problem will not be one you have to address.

dave
wa3gin

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 2:52 PM Perry Ogletree <afa4nq@...> wrote:

The RigPi also has WiFi connection capabilities that can serve for LAN/WAN access. The wired Ethernet connection will be more “bullet-proof” however.

You can run another CAT5/6 line or use a switch as suggested. A lower cost solution to the Netgear switch is the TP-Link SG108 (8-port) or the SG-105 (5-port) both under $20 via Amazon.

Amazon.com: TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch - Ethernet Splitter | Plug & Play | Fanless | Sturdy Metal w/ Shielded Ports | Traffic Optimization | Unmanaged | Limited Lifetime Protection (TL-SG108): TP-LINK: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch - Ethernet Splitter | Plug & Play | Fanless | Sturdy Metal w/ Shielded Ports | Traffic Optimization | Unmanaged | Limited Lifetime Protection(TL-SG105): Computers & Accessories

Perry K4PWO

From: RigPi@groups.io <RigPi@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Jordan
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2020 11:21 AM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Rigpi setup, data line

Netgear makes an inexpensive switch GS 208 v2 you can add to the existing Ethernet cable or you can as you suggested run another line. 

Dave

Wa3gin

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 11:20 AM Tom Schmidt <tschmidt50@...> wrote:

My wife surprised me with an early Christmas gift. A new MFJ-1234B Rigpi. I'm going to set it up very soon and I have a question. I'm already set up for RTTY, PSK31, Olivia and other digital mode operation with my Yaesu FT-920, including FT8 and FT4. I want to set up the RigPi for phone operation, too. I already have one data cable for the internet that runs to my radio position. Must I run another line to connect to the RigPi? Running a second line would be very easy, I just need to know for my RigPi setup application.

73, Tom, N8EUI

Join RigPi@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.