Re: new remote set up

Steve_KE4LC

Welcome to the RigPi forum.  As Don says, starting from not knowing basic PC/internet networking can be a challenge, I agree, but it’s certainly not insurmountable and many “newbies” have done it successfully (including myself).  It’s a good learning experience as well.  I read that you have the FT450.  I have the FT450D.  Sounds like you have defined the need well.    For me, I was highly motivated to make it work.  We use the RigPi to allow my elderly father 600 miles away (stuck in a senior home w/o antennas) access to my Ham station.  We are primarily CW DX operators, with occasional SSB use.   What modes would you use?  Port-forwarding and static LAN IP addresses are fairly straightforward to take on, as is the USB/serial cable interface required for rig commands.   The bigger challenges, such as defining and building macro key commands to give you a good “like I’m sitting in front of my rig” remote feeling are increasingly better supported by the very active RIgPi user community and better online instructions.  Lots of sharing.  If you want to take it on, I would be glad to help with the startup.  After trying several other remote approaches, RigPi has made a huge, positive difference for my dad, and I try to pass it forward to others (Prevent wheel reinvention) whenever I can.  If you do order, I echo Don’s recommendation- I would suggest getting the new Raspberry Pi4B-based system that is just coming out now - see RigPi website.  Together with the new 2.00 software, it works well.

73, Steve KE4LC