Re: Power failure

Kelehigh@...

Is MFJ still charging $49 for a new card?

Kevin, KJ7EHQ

On 2020-07-26 14:42, Bruce N7XGR wrote:
Jim, Skip, I believe that some files on the card are corrupted
because of the power loss.
It is best to contact MFJ for a replacement card and start all over
from scratch unfortunately.
When Skip get the new card he should clone the card onto another B4 B4
B4 (emphasized)
he does any settings changes. Just get a USB card reader/writer and
some 32 gig cards
and clone the original onto at least 1 card. There is a clone utility
built into the PI's OS
that makes this easy. After cloning put the original card away and
only use the cloned card.
After all settings are done and B4 B4 B4 any passwords are changed, do
another clone.
Put the B4 password card away with the original but label them
accordingly.
Now with this other cloned card he can now change the password, when
all done and
everything is working just fine and you guessed it, DO ANOTHER CLONE.
Every step along you have clones to fall back on, which means if a
problem arises
like this one all he has to do is to put the previous card in and do a
new clone
This will save a ton of time and frustration, backup to a backup to a
backup.
The instructions are very lacking in this respect that came with the
unit.
Use the corrupted card for the clone job then use this card keeping
the other card
for safekeeping.
Bruce N7XGR
On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 4:01 PM Jim Yuen <jimyuen808@gmail.com> wrote:

Aloha Skip,
1. If your monitor tests okay, then either the Raspberry Pi HDMI
connection is bad (power damage?) or the Raspbian Linux is
corrupted.
2. The RigPi (RSS) app consists of a series of HTML programs
residing on the Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi is the web server
that processes your RigPi app which is why you can connect. So
obviously the Raspberry software is working enough to allow you to
connect.
3.When VNC rejects your login, it may be your login/password is
wrong or corrupted. Try the default "pi" and "7388".. You can
possibly download and re-install VNC on the RPi but I've never tried
that myself.
It's hard to say whether the board or the software is corrupted. If
you can borrow a copy of the software from a nearby ham to test vs
your copy. p.s. making a copy of the software on a spare SD card is
a good backup.
I'm not an expert on this stuff as I've only worked with it since
March for my club, but I've had my share of problems. Good Luck.
73. Jim WH6GS
On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:26 AM Skip Merrill <ks4q.skip@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Jim,
When I log on to the RSS using a computer on the same network I am
using a different monitor. At the time of the failure I had a
different monitor connected directly to the rigpi HMDI port and I
have since checked both the monitor and cable, they are ok. The
power wasn't off long so the RSS retained the same IP and that is
what I am using to access the rigpi software which still works. I
don't understand how the rigpi could be working without the
Raspberry software working. When I try to log on using VNC I get a
logon rejected message. I am beginning to agree that the memory
card is corrupt.
Thanks,
Skip, KS4Q
Links: