Re: SD card backup process

Lawrence I. Kaplan

Just go to accessories on the rigpi raspberry pi and use the sd card copier.

Larry Ab3ty

On Dec 27, 2019, at 9:47 PM, Steve Sampson <coupaydeville@...> wrote:

´╗┐Raspberry Pi web site:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/

recommends balenaEtcher : https://www.balena.io/etcher/

This has Windows, Mac, and Linux versions for download.

You can't just copy the card. You need an imager. In Linux you just
use the "dd" program which does a low-level byte by byte copy.

Do a search on you tube and you'll find a bunch of examples. You can
use a larger card.

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 8:17 PM <neil.fullagar@...> wrote:

I'm leery of even powering up the RigPi without having a backup of the image. From what I've read it's possible to open the RigPi and physically remove the card to make a backup. But do I need to use special image software or can I simply copy the content of that card to another?

Actually my plan would be use the copy and leave the supplied image untouched. Is there a reason not to do that? If I can do that, can the new card be larger than 16GB? Is there any advantage to a larger card?

Thanks.
K6NCX