Re: Stretch to Buster

Aaron Jones

Ryan,

this is what I foillowed, if I were to do it again I would:

  1. Backup my primary SD card
  2. Create a new SD card with two partitions:
    1. 500 meg for BOOT
    2. any size for ROOTFS since I'm going to
  3. Copy the stretch BOOT files (including hidden) from Original card to NEW card
  4. Using a different linux system so I can load both SD cards simultaneously - use "dd" to copy the Original ROOTFS to the NEW SD card
  5. Use Gparted to resize the new ROOTFS partition to whatever size i want to maximize my SD card usage
  6. Now boot into Stretch
  7. Follow instructions to Upgrade to Buster:

    IN PLACE UPGRADE TO BUSTER FOR RPI 4 SETUP

    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspbian-buster-upgrade,39735.html

    Need to run this to get the bootloader loaded with the right files to boot on a pi4

    sudo apt install --reinstall raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-net-mods raspberrypi-sys-mods raspberrypi-ui-mods

    Still need to run this after verify it load on Pi4

    sudo apt purge timidity lxmusic gnome-disk-utility deluge-gtk evince wicd wicd-gtk clipit usermode gucharmap gnome-system-tools pavucontrol

This is probably going to have some holes in it and isn't exactly what I did, I did the last step first but found that my BOOTFS partition was very small for the capacity of files I was storing there and folks on the web indicated that it's possible it would exceed the size you need hence the process for getting a second card built with plenty of BOOTFS space on it.

I also ended up utilizing an external SSD drive which is about 10x faster than the FAST SD card I was using.  That process was fairly straightforward, I followed the instructions from here:

https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-boot-config-guide-for-ssd-flash-drives/

I run the SD card as the boot partition and it mounts the SSD for rootfs activity.

Here's the read/write speeds on my SD card:

TESTING SD CARD READ WRITE SPEEDS

pi@rigpi:~ $ dd if=/dev/zero of=~/test500sd.tmp bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 25.2583 s, 20.8 MB/s   (FOR WRITE SPEED)

pi@rigpi:~ $ sync; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

3

pi@rigpi:~ $ dd if=~/test500sd.tmp of=/dev/null bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 11.7885 s, 44.5 MB/s   (FOR READ SPEED)

 EXTERNAL USB SSD READ/WRITE SPEEDS:

pi@rigpi:~ $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/pi/PiSSD/test.tmp bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 2.43088 s, 216 MB/s - (FOR WRITE SPEED)

pi@rigpi:~ $ sync; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

3

pi@rigpi:~ $ dd if=/media/pi/PiSSD/test.tmp of=/dev/null bs=500K count=1024

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

524288000 bytes (524 MB, 500 MiB) copied, 1.96956 s, 266 MB/s- (FOR READ SPEED)

pi@rigpi:~ $