sticky Re: Can I share the RigPi image with a friend?

Clint Chron

Hi Richard,

The two minute time is based upon the actual time for installing/removing SD card and kicking off the backup/burn process.    I use the Win32 Disk Imager app. 

On my Windows 10 PC, it takes about 14 minutes to make a copy of the SD card and about 20 minutes to burn a SD card.  Thus someone could be doing other things while the application is copying/burning the SD card.

There are a number of solutions for writing multiple SD cards at the same time.

https://twocanoes.com/creating-8-sd-cards-at-once-with-sd-clone/

With this type of solution, one could make about 192 RigPi SD cards over an 8 hour period and the actual operator time would be less than 30 minutes.  I would think that 192 SD cards would satisfy the current demand, including the orders that are on back-order.

Clint

W7KEC

From: RigPi@groups.io [mailto:RigPi@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Daily
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 5:46 AM
To: RigPi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RigPi] Can I share the RigPi image with a friend?

Regarding duplicating the SD card. I just did this in order to have a personal backup before starting to configure my RigPi. On an iMac 4 core i5 and a USB 3 card reader, it took about 30 minutes to create an image and longer than that to burn it to a new card. This was done with terminal commands which are the same as Unix on a Mac per the article below. I would think similar times would be true under Windows. The image creation is a one-time thing but seems to take a lot longer than 2 min to create each ready to boot copy of the SD card.

Join RigPi@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.