Topics

Mabuchi SF-266SA 18mm square motor

SP4149

I just received an order of these from China, inserted the motor tabs and tested them briefly.
They are quiet and smooth when held in my fingers, good first impression.
FWIW the motor label is an almost invisible (hologram?) label that matches the model for the data below.
Comments on the specs below are in red.

1.Brand new Mabuchi SF-266SA 18mm square motor
2.Rated voltage 13.5v, large torque  (this is a strong motor, even at 4VDC, I can't stop the shaft from turning with my fingers)
3.Six-pole rotor,precious metal brush needle
4.Quiet motor and powerful torque
5.High quality miniature DC motor
6.Mainly used for automotive electronic equipment etc.
Motor parameters:
1.Brand: Mabuchi Motor
2.Model: SF-266SA-1G160
3.Motor size: 18.2*18.2mm(Square)
4.Motor length: 25mm(Not include output shaft)  (31mm ACTUAL Body length)
5.Output shaft diameter: 2.0mm
6.Output shaft length: 6.5mm
7.Weight: 33g
8.Rated voltage: 13.5V
9.Suitable voltage: 12V-24V (@24V,easy heating)
10.Test data:
Voltage: 12.OV Current: 0.04A Stall current: 1.17A Speed: 7200RPM
Observed Quick test
Voltage: 12.OV Current: 0.042A Almost Stall current: at 360mA I couldn't stop the shaft from turning

Conclusion.  This appears to be a good replacement for the 2032 can motor.  Note all the ads list body length
at 25mm, actually this is only the metal can length, the plastic end holding the brushes/leads adds another 6mm.
No load 12 VDC current draw is about half that of a Sagami 2032.  The stall current (which I couldn't measure since
I could not stall the motor with my fingers) specified is too high for many DCC decoders.

7200 RPM is a good match for rod locos with 27:1 gearboxes, it may be too slow for some PFM rod engines with
40:1 gearboxes.  Slow speed operation should be excellent with more control than most other motors.

Hopefully this motor performs well in continuous running on the railroad.  At $2.25 on eBay (including shipping from China)
this motor is not a major cost gamble...

KEN

"It has always seemed strange to me," said Doc. "The things we admire in
men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling
are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest,
sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest are
the traits of success."  STEINBECK - CANNERY ROW

Greg Harter

How much are these motors and what company sells them?
Thanks.
Greg Harter

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 7:30 PM, SP4149 <ken@...> wrote:
[...]

Greg,

  There are several sellers on eBay offering them for around $2.25 including shipping from China.  The can size is 18.2mm square and 30.6mm long.

--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems

Bill Vaughn

Is there a good dual shaft motor I need to power up a passenger car to assist a steam loco.

Bill Vaughn

SP4149

Bill,
My suggestion is to look into a diesel drive with 36" drivers.  Perhaps try a Kato drive and see how it runs with the loco.
The Kato motor is a known RPM.  The test will indicate if you need a faster or slower motor for the diesel truck gearing.
--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

Greg Harter

Ken, thanks for the tip.  I've looked on eBay, listed the dimensions, didn't list them, looked through pages of stuff, can't find those can motors!

Can you give me more info?
Thanks,
Greg Harter

On 2018-02-02 06:15, Greg Harter wrote:

[...]

  I just put the title "Mabuchi SF-266SA 18mm square motor" into an all category search on eBay and got 18 eBay auctions.

In addition there were several more motors listed under the 'Results matching fewer words' section of the search.

Note that motors of the same '266S' can size have different voltages designated by a letter other than A.  This motor is a nominal 12 volt Automobile accessory motor, designed for the 13.5volts of a car charging system.

On 2018-02-02 06:15, Greg Harter wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ken.  With those numbers I can now find listings.

Greg Harter

On 2018-02-02 06:15, Greg Harter wrote:

[...]

Ken thanks for the info.  Just ordered a Kato motor and will try it as time permits.  Have the basic drive in the car to test, but still need to make a more permanent instillation.

Bill Vaughn

SP4149

Bill,
  I suspect Mabuchi makes a motor for this can (266) that is double ended, but likely with different specs/voltage.
It definitely appears stronger then the Kato, with less current draw.  The only negative about the Kato is that the brush
leads are not designed to be soldered, the plastic brush holder melts easily from the heat of a soldering iron.
--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

ronhigh44@...

I recently purchase some of the motors. I tried a couple on some Hobbytown drives . I used a motor on a drive with the 21:1 gearing and another with the 12:1 gearing. I got very good results especially at slow speeds they can inch along the track. One of these drives had a DC70 motor with the magnets replaced with neodyium ,this ran well with the replacements magnets but with the Mabuchi motor it ran even better, The other drive had one of those cannon EN or DN motors that were available at bargain prices a few years back .
 The Mabuchi motor seems to run even better at slow speeds . I am very pleased by the results . The motor appears to draw a little less than 2 tenths of an amp at top speed on my throttle. I am running DC only on my railroad, they seem to run very quiet.
Ron High

Jon Miller

I think we went over this before but what is the difference between 5 slot and 6 slot?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

SP4149

Jon,
  This motor has four magnetic poles (four magnets) and six electromagnetic poles (slots, armature poles)
compared to a two magnetic poles (two magnets) and five electromagnetic poles (slots, armature poles)

I'm installing one in an old AC Gilbert Hudson with smoke and chuff which puts an additional load on the motor.
--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

Jon Miller

We have discussed this before but what is the difference between 5 and 6 slot motors?

Kurt Konrath

One slot???

I could help it sorry

Kurt

On Feb 26, 2018, at 2:22 PM, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

We have discussed this before but what is the difference between 5 and 6 slot motors?

SP4149

Mabuchi must have made a large overrun of these motors, they are getting even cheaper.
Prices on eBay now down to $1.71 each including shipping and then got an additional 10% discount for ordering 10.
If I find a double ended version, I might order a 100...
--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

Richard Knight

I was looking at the photos closely and some of the $1.71 ones look like copies of the Mabuchi as the don;t seem to have the logo inscribed on the casing so i went big and paid the slightly higher price !!!!!!!!! Rick.

On 3/28/2018 5:17 PM, SP4149 wrote:
Mabuchi must have made a large overrun of these motors, they are getting even cheaper.
Prices on eBay now down to $1.71 each including shipping and then got an additional 10% discount for ordering 10.
If I find a double ended version, I might order a 100...
--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

SP4149

Edited

On the motors I received, the label was a hologram that is only visible in certain directed light.

However this photo shows the  internal structure of these four magnets, six pole rotors

Minebea-DC-12V-6500RPM-Large-Torque-6-Pole-Rotor-Micro-15MM-Square-DC-Toy-Motor

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com

On 2018-03-28 14:55, Richard Knight wrote:

I was looking at the photos closely and some of the $1.71 ones look like copies of the Mabuchi as the don;t seem to have the logo inscribed on the casing so i went big and paid the slightly higher price !!!!!!!!! Rick.

On 3/28/2018 5:17 PM, SP4149 wrote:
Mabuchi must have made a large overrun of these motors, they are getting even cheaper.
Prices on eBay now down to $1.71 each including shipping and then got an additional 10% discount for ordering 10.
If I find a double ended version, I might order a 100...
--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

Scott Grubbs

Greetings All,
I've been on this group for about 2 months now, learning lots! Thanks to Ken Clark and Ed Weldon!
Ken, I found your double shaft motor!
eBay 152363913473 seller Usta132 for $9.00.
A Mabuch model RS-385PH 2.8mm shaft, 29.2 mm diameter, and a total length of 69mm long. With double bushings!. I think it can replace a few of my old Pittman motors, so I can run DCC.
I hope this helps many!
Now to find a great little hobby lathe!
Any suggestions?
Scott Grubbs

On 2018-03-28 14:55, Richard Knight wrote:

I was looking at the photos closely and some of the $1.71 ones look like copies of the Mabuchi as the don;t seem to have the logo inscribed on the casing so i went big and paid the slightly higher price !!!!!!!!! Rick.

On 3/28/2018 5:17 PM, SP4149 wrote:
Mabuchi must have made a large overrun of these motors, they are getting even cheaper.
Prices on eBay now down to $1.71 each including shipping and then got an additional 10% discount for ordering 10.
If I find a double ended version, I might order a 100...
--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

--
ken clark
mechanical solutions to mechanical problems
electrical solutions to electrical problems

Jon Miller

"Now to find a great little hobby lathe!"  The Harbor Freight lathe was/is a great lathe with a Japanese chuck.  I bought mine some years ago so you might want to read up and see if it has the same componets.