RepowerAndRegear RepowerAndRegear@groups.ioOur group is for discussion of repowering and regearing model railroad locomotives. This group is also receptive to the discussion of additional model modifications after repowering and regearing; for example, repairs and redetailing, DCC installations and painting as pertains to locomotives. Modelers from all scales and gauges are welcome. Attachments are currently restricted to 500K in size, this limit may be modified in the future. New members are automatically moderated for their first posts. After approval of those posts the member will be unmoderated by the system.
Welcome. After 40 years of can motors improving the efficiency of our models, lower current = cleaner wheels. Recently we are finding improved motor designs trickling into the hobby. Notably 4 magnet, 6 pole square motors with exceptional strength and efficiency for their size. The 18mm square Mabuichi SF-266SA may be the best remotoring option for most HO locos. At $2-3 each on eBay including shipping from China, these are an excellent starting point for HO repowering. Check the archives for dozens of posts on installing these motors.
- 1,888 Members
- 4,758 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
Group Email Addresses
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group and sender.
- Subscriptions to this group require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to anyone.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Members can edit their messages.