Topics

Winlink NOOB & Pat 0.8.0-armhf

chuck gelm

Interested in 'Winlink', but not M$ Windows.
I was watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJJLfVz23k (Thanks KM4ACK)
and stopped at the part about entering a 'winlink-password' into the 'pat configure' portion.
IIRC, a couple of years ago when I last tried, one must already have a 'winlink' system
before one may obtain a 'winlink password'.

Please: Starting from this fresh install of 'pat...v0.0.0-armhf.deb'
when and where, in this PAT install, does one attempt to obtain a Winlink password?

Mission:

Get a 'Winlink' compatible system using only telnet (BPQnode) on an intranet (AREDN mesh).
I have no interest in AX.25 or speeds < 99 kbps.
I think we only need one CMS (UHF/VHF/HF AX.25 capable) station on our intranet.

Chuck

chuck gelm

At 6:40 into the video, I get a telnet 'failure' instead of 'success'.
Likely because I do not have a 'winlink password'.

For those that create these helpful YouTube® videos;
it appears that YouTube® reduces the size of the video.
Perhaps it would be helpful if the YouTube® authors
would reduce the size of their display to match the
YouTube® reduction, then text would be easier to read.
800x600 or whatever YouTube® is.

 Actually, I prefer 'text' install instructions.

Thanks, Chuck

David Ranch

Hello Chuck,

I prefer text too though videos have their place as well.  Anyway, all of your questions seem to be focused around Winlink like "how do I get a password".  That's only an Internet search away and that turns up:

   https://winlink.org/tags/passwords

Btw, for being a WInlink client, you either need Pat or BPQ32.  You don't need both and with one in hand, you should be set.  You should then be able to use either to connect to a remote CMS using a standard Internet connection.  Once that works, things should just work over your Mesh setup as well.

Good luck..

chuck gelm

My neighbor Winlink/pat guru has discovered how to start pat with P2P telnet enabled/default.

How do I modify my:
sudo systemctl start pat@pi
sudo systemctl enable pat@pi

as in KM4ACK's video to start pat with:

pat --listen telnet http

?

Basil Gunn

From the Winlink website: https://winlink.org/tags/password

If you’re using a dWinlink e-mail client program other than Winlink Express you must follow these steps:

  1. Go to www.winlink.org, and select the My Account tab.
  2. If you haven’t previously selected a password, select one now. Otherwise log in.
  3. Navigate to the screen that lists your account information, and click “Edit”.
  4. Scroll down and enter your password-recovery e-mail.
  5. Check the box to enable Secure Login.
  6. Click “Save” at the bottom of the screen.
  7. Last, find the place in your client program where you can enter your password, and set it. /Basil n7nix

chuck gelm

On 1/28/20 9:33 AM, chuck gelm wrote:
'winlink password'.
Thanks to many folks here for assistance.
It turned out that someone had registered my callsign for me about a year ago
but did not register an email address.

 I found a Winlink adminstrator and they gave me a one-time access code.
I have my Winlink password and my (recovery) email address is registered.
Pshew! :-)

 With great assistance from a local Winlink (and AREDN mesh) user we
have been able to send and receive Winlink-style mail over the mesh network
using the built-in P2P telnet port each of us using a RPi.

 One more item is sought after;
establish a dual port local ARDEN mesh and AX.25 mail gateway so that
Winlink (or 'pat') users on the local AX.25 simplex packet channel can
send and receive with the AREDN mesh Winlink ( or 'pat') users.

  I am now running 'pat' on a RPi4 on a microSD card.
The SD card partitions are static totalling 2.1G.
I think I can create an image the same size as the 2020-09-26-raspbian-buster-lite
image with a generic turnkey 'pat' setup. I did this with 'teamtalk-v5.4-armhf'.
The image will likely 'gzip -9' down to about 555M.
The Raspbian automatic 'resize2fs' may be easily restored.

Chuck

chuck gelm

On 1/28/20 5:11 PM, chuck gelm wrote:
My neighbor Winlink/pat guru has discovered how to start pat with P2P telnet enabled/default.

How do I modify my:
sudo systemctl start pat@pi
sudo systemctl enable pat@pi

as in KM4ACK's video to start pat with:

pat --listen telnet http

?
Found a way!

After installing pat
(pat_0.8.0_linux_armhf.deb (Raspberry Pi))
there is a service definition for pat, here:

/lib/systemd/system/pat@.service

 I edited it from:

[Service]
User=%i
ExecStart=/usr/bin/pat http
Restart=on-failure

to:

[Service]
User=%i
ExecStart=/usr/bin/pat --listen telnet http
Restart=on-failure

Then ran
sudo systemctl start pat@pi
sudo systemctl enable pat@pi