Topics

W3DJS CI-V interface

John Brent - VA7WPN

I am trying to help a friend setup his W3DJS raspberry pi. He uses an IC-7000. We have two CI-V interfaces, both show up as ttyUSB0 when plugged in, but we cannot get JS8Call or any of the other software to connect to the radios without error. We have the CI-V baud Rate set to 9600, and the address is the default 70h.

In JS8Call we have the rig set to IC-7000, com port set to ttyUSB0, and baud rate set to 9600. But we get no connection, it does take a min trying, then we get an error. So I think its something were NOT doing right.

Any suggestions. We are using a CI-V interface, and a RadioShack 20-256 programming cable. Both have proven to work via windows.

John Brent
 VA7WPN

John,

A few things to consider.   

Dave is a distribution packager, the individual applications have their own authors and those authors should be contacted via their support mechanism for that application.

There is a Ham-Pi specific support group at https://groups.io/g/Ham-Pi

You might want to make sure pi is in the dialout group (assuming you are using the default pi account)
grep dialout /etc/group
If pi is not listed
usermod -G dialout pi

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:25 AM John Brent - VA7WPN <john.brent@...> wrote:
I am trying to help a friend setup his W3DJS raspberry pi. He uses an IC-7000. We have two CI-V interfaces, both show up as ttyUSB0 when plugged in, but we cannot get JS8Call or any of the other software to connect to the radios without error. We have the CI-V baud Rate set to 9600, and the address is the default 70h.

In JS8Call we have the rig set to IC-7000, com port set to ttyUSB0, and baud rate set to 9600. But we get no connection, it does take a min trying, then we get an error. So I think its something were NOT doing right.

Any suggestions. We are using a CI-V interface, and a RadioShack 20-256 programming cable. Both have proven to work via windows.

John Brent
 VA7WPN

--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

John Brent - VA7WPN

Thanks, thats great, but were not using the HamPi image, were using his previous dist.

John Brent
 VA7WPN

Marty Hartwell

Hi John

The way this reads to me is, you are trying to hook up either two serial ports using the same

CI-V address to one radio, or maybe not mentioned is hooking up two different computers or

two different radios.

The two interfaces/serial ports should have two different ports ie, /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1.

Or maybe in Icom world you may have to change computer the CI-V address, it seems something

is confusing either the computer or the rig.

Marty kd8bj

PS, I am really guessing here as I don't have nor have used an ICOM rig. Maybe someone else

will chime in here to try to help.

On 7/21/20 1:22 PM, John Brent - VA7WPN wrote:

John Brent
 VA7WPN

Bob Bennett

You might want to try changing the ci-v address for one of the radios 

nz2z