Topics

TV HDMI #pi

Rob

Running the pi with a 20 inch vizio tv out in the shop all is good. Decided to use a 32 inch vizio tv. No signal on the 32 in. When the 20 inch is on I unplug the hdmi cable Then plug into the 32 inch it works.....I did a reboot... then no display on the 32 inch......TNX

Newbie

ROB N3LJS

Al Massaro

Not all HDMI cables are created equal, try different cable. One of the locals here just found that out yesterday.
AL M
KF5SMH

Larry Howell

Rob,

I have a 40" Vizio TV I bought 11/19.  I had a similar issue with it not detecting an input signal.  Discovered the TV is just too smart and is picky about inputs with the default settings, but if you disable "CEC" under "System", then it works as expected.  Take a look at what's under "Menu" on your 32" TV and see if you have this parameter.

73...  Larry AC8YE

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 1:01 PM Al Massaro <almassaro1@...> wrote:
Not all HDMI cables are created equal, try different cable. One of the locals here just found that out yesterday.
AL M
KF5SMH

w9ran

Hopefully this isn't your issue, but I recently found one of my Pi 3Bs would no longer display hdmi output even though it has for months.   A different Pi worked fine on the same monitor and cable.   Since ssh was enabled I was able to communicate with it and tried all the stuff you find in the FAQs, knowing it wasn't just a config.txt setting because there was no video at startup which comes from the bootloader not from Linux.   Google searching confirmed that random hdmi hardware failure on the Pi is not unheard of.   Since the composite video works and the published documentation doesn't show anything beyond the hdmi connector I'm not optimistic about being able to fix it, but am open to suggestions.

73, Bob W9RAN

Chuck M

Had a similar problem with a Pi 3B.  Ended up buying one of these to boost its signal.  Works okay with this.

Bit of a pain for portable use as it's another device to tote, plus extra HDMI cable, etc.  Does fine at home.

GL
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 2:33:57 PM EDT, w9ran <w9ran@...> wrote:

Hopefully this isn't your issue, but I recently found one of my Pi 3Bs
would no longer display hdmi output even though it has for months.   A
different Pi worked fine on the same monitor and cable.   Since ssh was
enabled I was able to communicate with it and tried all the stuff you
find in the FAQs, knowing it wasn't just a config.txt setting because
there was no video at startup which comes from the bootloader not from
Linux.   Google searching confirmed that random hdmi hardware failure on
the Pi is not unheard of.   Since the composite video works and the
published documentation doesn't show anything beyond the hdmi connector
I'm not optimistic about being able to fix it, but am open to suggestions.

73, Bob W9RAN

N5XMT

Try uncommenting the the following.  Try the first one and see if that works, if not uncomment the 2nd one as well.

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:54 AM Rob <n3ljs@...> wrote:
Running the pi with a 20 inch vizio tv out in the shop all is good. Decided to use a 32 inch vizio tv. No signal on the 32 in. When the 20 inch is on I unplug the hdmi cable Then plug into the 32 inch it works.....I did a reboot... then no display on the 32 inch......TNX

Newbie

ROB N3LJS

N5XMT

Shouldn't need it.  You can boost the HDMI signal out with a single command in the /boot/config.txt file

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 1:34 PM Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

If my senioritis isn't acting up, remember making the changes in the config file re HDMI setup.  Will check again and also check the other item mentioned re TV setup.  Tried several different cables, TVs, and monitors before buying the booster.

having no problems with my Pi 4B or an older Pi 2 that controls my 3D printer.  Just the Pi 3B.

Chuck
KD9DVB