Topics

Totally Hosed TNCPI-9k6

A year ago I had my  Coastal Chipworks tncpi-96k running fine.  I think I may have converted it to ARDOP but I can't remember for sure.  I have been trying to reload the packet software onto the Teensy 3.6.  I followed the directions on the Coastal Chipworks instructions for compiling and reinstalling the firmware.  I downloaded the new software from G8BPQ site.  I installed the software and when I ran ./pitnc_getparams /dev/serial0 0 I kept getting checksum errors.  I then installed the HEX file from Mat's site and got the same checksum.  The last time I tried the update, I now get a constant ...retrying.  All of the lights flash like they are supposed to when I power up the pi and then the first light stays green.  

Any idea how to start over and get this thing going again?  I am usually pretty good and figuring this stuff out but this one has me stumped.  
--
Bob AF9W

N5XMT

the newer firmware uses i2c.  try ./pitnc_getparams 1 30
That uses i2c bus 1 address 30

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 11:55 AM Bob AF9W <af9w@...> wrote:
A year ago I had my  Coastal Chipworks tncpi-96k running fine.  I think I may have converted it to ARDOP but I can't remember for sure.  I have been trying to reload the packet software onto the Teensy 3.6.  I followed the directions on the Coastal Chipworks instructions for compiling and reinstalling the firmware.  I downloaded the new software from G8BPQ site.  I installed the software and when I ran ./pitnc_getparams /dev/serial0 0 I kept getting checksum errors.  I then installed the HEX file from Mat's site and got the same checksum.  The last time I tried the update, I now get a constant ...retrying.  All of the lights flash like they are supposed to when I power up the pi and then the first light stays green.  

Any idea how to start over and get this thing going again?  I am usually pretty good and figuring this stuff out but this one has me stumped.  
--
Bob AF9W

Mat Murdock

Good afternoon.  Here is what I would do.

Download and flash this hex file onto your Teensy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uEHR1VqJA8TeiaRo_qYLLpsIReV__E2K/view?usp=sharing

Next, transfer this file to your Raspberry PI.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FSjtlt29i3MtcdIh2nzyE4A0fwLNtfXw/view?usp=sharing

Next run the following command

./pitnc_getparams /dev/ttyS0 0
Or
./pitnc_getparams /dev/ttyAMA0 0
Or
./pitnc_getparams /dev/serial0 0

Make sure that you don't have kissattach currently running or it won't work.
Next I would run the following commands below adjusting them for the proper port.

./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 1 30
./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 2 160
./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 3 30
./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 4 4
./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 8 12
./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 9 200
./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 10 255
./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 13 170

This one reboots the Teensy so the settings will take affect.

./pitnc_setparams /dev/ttyS0 0 15 2

Hopefully that is helpful.

Mat
K2MJM

Thanks to N5XMT - ./pitnc_getparams 1 30 worked. 

Thanks, Mat - your suggestion worked really well, I am now copying APRS packets.  Next step is to get Pat working.  Tomorrow I have a RPi 3+ coming so I can use the 9k6 for PiGate. I am trying to demonstrate to the members of my ARES group that you don' t need a $200 KPC+ to do packet. 
--
Bob AF9W

The pitnc-9k6 is hearing well be appears to me mute.  I have sent the calibration command
sudo ./pitnc_setparams /dev/serial0 0 15 3
and listened on another radio and the radio keys but no audio tones.  I tried using axcall on the pitnc-9k6 and monitoring with another TNC and nothing heard. 

Here are my params:

pitnc_setparams Version 0.0.0.5

PIC Software Version          11

01 TXDelay - Zero means use ADC          10

02 Persistance                                         160

03 Slottime (in 10 mS)                               30

04 TXTail                                                       1

05 Full Duplex - Not used                       255

06 Our Channel (Hex)                                  ff

07 I2C Address (0 = async)                Hex   ff

08 Mode Speed                                     1200

09 RX Level (Config)                                200

10 TX Level                                               255

11 RX Level (Actual)                                200

13 Centre Freq                                       1700

8 b a a0 1e 1 ff ff ff c c8 ff c8 aa 10 c0 sum 0

What should I try next.?
--

Bob AF9W

Mat Murdock

Does the red led come on?  Check your solder joints.

Mat

I "solved" my audio out problem.  For some reason, the PITNC-9k6 is not working with my FT-8900.  It is working with my FT-817.  Thanks for all the help from the group. 
--
Bob AF9W