Topics

The initial question...

Trigger X

Hi, is there a collective opinion that favours a particular OS for radio on the Pi? I have 'Stretch' on my 4 and 3B+ though I cannot get WSJT-X working on either and GQRX won't open. Cubic SDR works ok but I cannot figure out how to get the RTL-SDR dongle to rx HF. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Marty Hartwell

Hi Trigger

Just wondering here, Stretch version of the Raspian OS is replaced by Buster now, second

version I think, maybe with that upgrade the software might work.

Welcome to the group.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/4/20 10:17 AM, Trigger X wrote:
Hi, is there a collective opinion that favours a particular OS for radio on the Pi? I have 'Stretch' on my 4 and 3B+ though I cannot get WSJT-X working on either and GQRX won't open. Cubic SDR works ok but I cannot figure out how to get the RTL-SDR dongle to rx HF. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Chuck M

Jason, KM4ACK, has a video on issues with latest version of Buster and sound cards.  See to get details.

He's also working on V3 of his build a pi script.  Looking forward to checking that out.

In meantime, need to get back to testing features of W3DJS's pi build.

73
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 11:38 AM, Marty Hartwell
<mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Trigger

Just wondering here, Stretch version of the Raspian OS is replaced by Buster now, second

version I think, maybe with that upgrade the software might work.

Welcome to the group.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/4/20 10:17 AM, Trigger X wrote:
Hi, is there a collective opinion that favours a particular OS for radio on the Pi? I have 'Stretch' on my 4 and 3B+ though I cannot get WSJT-X working on either and GQRX won't open. Cubic SDR works ok but I cannot figure out how to get the RTL-SDR dongle to rx HF. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Marty Hartwell

Hi

What size micro SD card did you use to load the W3DJS build?

Marty kd8bj

On 6/4/20 10:45 AM, Chuck M via groups.io wrote:
[...]

N5XMT

Be better off with the latest Raspbian, or I guess now the Raspberry Pi foundation calls it Raspberry Pi OS.  Buster is the latest, and the software may be having issues because it was built on the latest, and there are some libraries etc that are either missing or too old

On Jun 4, 2020, at 08:29, Trigger X <triggertech@...> wrote:
Hi, is there a collective opinion that favours a particular OS for radio on the Pi? I have 'Stretch' on my 4 and 3B+ though I cannot get WSJT-X working on either and GQRX won't open. Cubic SDR works ok but I cannot figure out how to get the RTL-SDR dongle to rx HF. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

N5XMT

It's about 17G uncompressed, so I would recommend no less than a 32g

<mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Trigger

Just wondering here, Stretch version of the Raspian OS is replaced by Buster now, second

version I think, maybe with that upgrade the software might work.

Welcome to the group.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/4/20 10:17 AM, Trigger X wrote:
Hi, is there a collective opinion that favours a particular OS for radio on the Pi? I have 'Stretch' on my 4 and 3B+ though I cannot get WSJT-X working on either and GQRX won't open. Cubic SDR works ok but I cannot figure out how to get the RTL-SDR dongle to rx HF. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Trigger X

Hey Marty and Chuck, thanks for the replies, like anyone I am really keen to get this sorted. In both cases I used a 32GB card (Samsung). I tried 'Buster' first but I thought that 'Stretch' was the 'new' one and went with that. I am going to check out Jason on YouTube now. My broadband here is not so broad. I have been waiting two hours to D/L Skywave. Will that flavour of Linux work on the Pi4 (4GB)?

Marty Hartwell

Thanks

<mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Trigger

Just wondering here, Stretch version of the Raspian OS is replaced by Buster now, second

version I think, maybe with that upgrade the software might work.

Welcome to the group.

Marty kd8bj

On 6/4/20 10:17 AM, Trigger X wrote:
Hi, is there a collective opinion that favours a particular OS for radio on the Pi? I have 'Stretch' on my 4 and 3B+ though I cannot get WSJT-X working on either and GQRX won't open. Cubic SDR works ok but I cannot figure out how to get the RTL-SDR dongle to rx HF. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Chuck M

I used a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB card.  Class 10 speed.  While back there was a thread going on re what do all of the designations on the card mean.  Buy name brand, Class 10 min.  Eventually hope to settle on a version and use a SSD with it.  There are some cases on Thingiverse and commercially available to accommodate a RPi4 with SSD, cooling fan(s), etc.

Used a program called RUFUS to write the image.  Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)   Nice program, runs as stand alone.   No installation required.

Have had problems writing new images on previously used cards.  Created some notes for myself on how to use DISKPART from Windows to remove write protection and other issues, then reformat the card.  If there's interest, I'll send it out as a PDF.  As always, use it at your own risk.  YMMV, PPNGOFR, etc.

Chuck
KD9DVB

On Thursday, June 4, 2020, 11:53:18 AM EDT, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

[...]

SDFormatter works great, initializes the partitions to return the card to "virgin" like state.
I've had issues with Rufus on some images, but Balena Etcher has been problem free with everything I have thrown at it

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 9:03 AM Chuck M via groups.io <cam51mail=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

You don't need to format.  Etcher and similar programs put down the entire image, sector by sector, and would just overwrite the partitions your formatter created.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 10:25 AM N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:
[...]

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Ray Cadmus

You may want to try something like https://skywavelinux.com/

Most of that worked on my 3b. Worked with rtl-sdr and sdrPlay.

Regards,

Ray W9eum

On 6/4/20 10:17 AM, Trigger X wrote:
Hi, is there a collective opinion that favours a particular OS for radio on the Pi? I have 'Stretch' on my 4 and 3B+ though I cannot get WSJT-X working on either and GQRX won't open. Cubic SDR works ok but I cannot figure out how to get the RTL-SDR dongle to rx HF. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Trigger X

32GB