Strange Problem with Xastir.....

Brian Reay

I recently installed Xastir on a r pi (4) running Buster.

Prior to installing Xastir (and since) the network functions of the pi all work - no sign of any problems (ie the webrowser works so the DNS works etc).

When I attempt to install the tier 2 server details, the fun starts....

I normally use london.aprs2.net port 14580  with my ID but this gives and error.

Trying   england.aprs.net port 14580 with the same details connects.

I can't 'ping'  london.aprs2.net from the pi, I can from other machines on my network.
Replacing london.aprs2,net with the correct IP address doesn't help, even with the ping problem.

I've checked with the admin of london.aprs2.net, all is well their end.

The config files for the r pi seem correct- they have an 'external' DNS (8.8.8.8 ) and a local one (my router). As I mentioned, they routing seems to work for other aprs servers and 'general'  internet operations.  The problem seems to be limited to one, or perhaps some; addresses- including  london.aprs2.net

Searching the internet suggests I'm not the first person to observe this 'selective' problem but I haven't found a solution or work around.

Other than abandoning xastir, any ideas (I've tried reboots, changing order of DNS servers in config files etc).

73
Brian
G8OSN

Pierre Martel

Have you checked the firewall rules?
I dont know if you just run iptables or you have UFW
try
sudo iptables -L -v -n | more

and check all the rules you have. there may be something in there

N5XMT

This started a couple weeks ago for me without any changes on my side.  I used Noam.aprs2.net noticed one day I was no longer seeing anything from the internet.  I get the message on a connection attempt of "node full" or "port full".
I went to the aprs.net web site and the link they give for info on the aprs2 sites for the list also gives my browser an error,   connection timed out.  It also used to work.
As of today, because I haven't checked in a while, I found this site works
Shows servers with issues throughout the aprs2 network.  You also shouldn't connect to an individual server.  You need to connect to euro.aprs2.net, and it distributes the connection load around all the servers in the region to keep individual servers from getting overloaded.

On May 21, 2021, at 04:42, "Brian Reay via groups.io" <yahoo.co.uk@groups.io target=_blank>g8osn=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

It's not on the Pi end.  See my previous reply.