Topics

Some progress

J FLETCHER
 

Hi again,

 

Having somehow locked myself out of the second OS installation (it's demanding a password, which I didn't set) I decided to format the 8Gb card and reinstall the OS. My laptop now reports that it's a 55.8Mb card. Any suggestions?

My box of bits arrived yesterday. The HDMI-to-VGA converter works a treat. I can read all the text on the computer's monitor (when it's not moving too quickly) and have a full view of the games screens.

 

The 26-way connectors and cable arrived too, so I can start making leads for the P1 GPIO header. First job; flash an LED. Second job; flash it in Morse!

 

73,

 

John

John Wiseman
 

John,

 

The default user/password for the standard PI distributions (wheezy and raspbian) are pi/raspberry. You can’t log in as root, unless you set a root password, via sudo passwd. Sudo doesn’t need a password.

 

The SD card has a small boot partition, formatted as a FAT partition, so can be seen by windows. The rest is ext4, which windows can’t see, So a freshly loaded image appears to windows as around 55 MB. When first booted, it will only use the first 2 GB. The first time you log in it should run a utility raspi-config, which allows you to resize the root partition to fill the card.

 

My main interest is in using the pi as a packet node. The prototype TNC is shown on the front page of this group. This is a standard TNC-X, with a bit of stripboard superglued to the edge to carry a 26 way connector. I’ve designed a board with the connector on board, and the same size as the pi. I’m waiting for the boards to come back from the PCB factory. The board is stackable, so more than one TNC can be connected, and uses the i2c bus to communicate with the pi.

 

From another John in Nottingham,

 

73, John G8BPQ

 

 

 


From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of J FLETCHER
Sent: 24 August 2012 07:57
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress

 

 

Hi again,

 

Having somehow locked myself out of the second OS installation (it's demanding a password, which I didn't set) I decided to format the 8Gb card and reinstall the OS. My laptop now reports that it's a 55.8Mb card. Any suggestions?

My box of bits arrived yesterday. The HDMI-to-VGA converter works a treat. I can read all the text on the computer's monitor (when it's not moving too quickly) and have a full view of the games screens.

 

The 26-way connectors and cable arrived too, so I can start making leads for the P1 GPIO header. First job; flash an LED. Second job; flash it in Morse!

 

73,

 

John

J FLETCHER
 

Hello John,
 
Thanks very much for the explanation. I'm not sure whether I can overwrite what's on the card with a new installation of the OS, or whether I should load Linux into an old PC to get at it that way, or just buy another SD card. Last option is quick but not very educational. I'm a Linux novice and not finding it at all intuitive. Can you recommend any literature?
 
I'm interested in your packet node project. I have a KPC3 (bought new) and a KAM (bought at a rally for £25 - bargain!) but never got into packet radio when it was new, which I now regret. I have VHF radios and laptops to spare, so I ought to try again.
 
That's a long-established callsign. 1970? Mine dates from June 75.
 
73,
 
John G4EDX in Woodthorpe


--- On Fri, 24/8/12, John Wiseman wrote:

From: John Wiseman
Subject: RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Date: Friday, 24 August, 2012, 8:12

 

John,

 

The default user/password for the standard PI distributions (wheezy and raspbian) are pi/raspberry. You can’t log in as root, unless you set a root password, via sudo passwd. Sudo doesn’t need a password.

 

The SD card has a small boot partition, formatted as a FAT partition, so can be seen by windows. The rest is ext4, which windows can’t see, So a freshly loaded image appears to windows as around 55 MB. When first booted, it will only use the first 2 GB. The first time you log in it should run a utility raspi-config, which allows you to resize the root partition to fill the card.

 

My main interest is in using the pi as a packet node. The prototype TNC is shown on the front page of this group. This is a standard TNC-X, with a bit of stripboard superglued to the edge to carry a 26 way connector. I’ve designed a board with the connector on board, and the same size as the pi. I’m waiting for the boards to come back from the PCB factory. The board is stackable, so more than one TNC can be connected, and uses the i2c bus to communicate with the pi.

 

From another John in Nottingham ,

 

73, John G8BPQ

 

 

 


From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of J FLETCHER
Sent: 24 August 2012 07:57
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress

 

 

Hi again,
 
Having somehow locked myself out of the second OS installation (it's demanding a password, which I didn't set) I decided to format the 8Gb card and reinstall the OS. My laptop now reports that it's a 55.8Mb card. Any suggestions?

My box of bits arrived yesterday. The HDMI-to-VGA converter works a treat. I can read all the text on the computer's monitor (when it's not moving too quickly) and have a full view of the games screens.
 
The 26-way connectors and cable arrived too, so I can start making leads for the P1 GPIO header. First job; flash an LED. Second job; flash it in Morse!
 
73,
 
John

Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA <JKutche@...>
 

You can reload the OS over and over and over if need be... Simply use something like Win32 Disk Imager.
 
 

Jerry Kutche
Electrical Supervisor
 

Lehigh Cement Company LLC
180 N. Meridian Road
Mitchell, IN  47446
Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
Fax:  (812) 849-5007
Cell: (812) 583-0445
jkutche@...
www.lehighcement.com

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

 


From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of J FLETCHER
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 3:55 AM
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress

 

Hello John,
 
Thanks very much for the explanation. I'm not sure whether I can overwrite what's on the card with a new installation of the OS, or whether I should load Linux into an old PC to get at it that way, or just buy another SD card. Last option is quick but not very educational. I'm a Linux novice and not finding it at all intuitive. Can you recommend any literature?
 
I'm interested in your packet node project. I have a KPC3 (bought new) and a KAM (bought at a rally for £25 - bargain!) but never got into packet radio when it was new, which I now regret. I have VHF radios and laptops to spare, so I ought to try again.
 
That's a long-established callsign. 1970? Mine dates from June 75.
 
73,
 
John G4EDX in Woodthorpe


--- On Fri, 24/8/12, John Wiseman wrote:

From: John Wiseman
Subject: RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Date: Friday, 24 August, 2012, 8:12

 

John,

 

The default user/password for the standard PI distributions (wheezy and raspbian) are pi/raspberry. You can’t log in as root, unless you set a root password, via sudo passwd. Sudo doesn’t need a password.

 

The SD card has a small boot partition, formatted as a FAT partition, so can be seen by windows. The rest is ext4, which windows can’t see, So a freshly loaded image appears to windows as around 55 MB. When first booted, it will only use the first 2 GB. The first time you log in it should run a utility raspi-config, which allows you to resize the root partition to fill the card.

My main interest is in using the pi as a packet node. The prototype TNC is shown on the front page of this group. This is a standard TNC-X, with a bit of stripboard superglued to the edge to carry a 26 way connector. I’ve designed a board with the connector on board, and the same size as the pi. I’m waiting for the boards to come back from the PCB factory. The board is stackable, so more than one TNC can be connected, and uses the i2c bus to communicate with the pi.

From another John in Nottingham ,

73, John G8BPQ


From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of J FLETCHER
Sent: 24 August 2012 07:57
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Some progress

 

Hi again,
 
Having somehow locked myself out of the second OS installation (it's demanding a password, which I didn't set) I decided to format the 8Gb card and reinstall the OS. My laptop now reports that it's a 55.8Mb card. Any suggestions?

My box of bits arrived yesterday. The HDMI-to-VGA converter works a treat. I can read all the text on the computer's monitor (when it's not moving too quickly) and have a full view of the games screens.
 
The 26-way connectors and cable arrived too, so I can start making leads for the P1 GPIO header. First job; flash an LED. Second job; flash it in Morse!
 
73,
 
John

 

Also, the Raspbian has a built-in tool to extend the partition on first boot up.  It works fine and saves the multi-step manual process if you are running something bigger than 2 GB.


John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  



On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA <JKutche@...> wrote:
 

You can reload the OS over and over and over if need be... Simply use something like Win32 Disk Imager.
 
 

Jerry Kutche
Electrical Supervisor
 

Lehigh Cement Company LLC
180 N. Meridian Road
Mitchell, IN  47446
Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
Fax:  (812) 849-5007
Cell: (812) 583-0445
jkutche@...
www.lehighcement.com

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

 

Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA <JKutche@...>
 

Hi All...  I have 4 here waiting for me to specify what projects I want to try on, what I have two that have 8GB cards and 2 that have 16 GB Cards..
 
Beware you must read the compatability list to avoid obtaining periferals that do not work or do not work well. Do not just grab some of a store shelf thinking they will work.. They may, they may not...
 

 73 Jerry n9lya 

Jim <wu3v@...>
 

Flash cards will probably work you may need to format them as ext2. Windoze will not see that partition though. 


On Aug 24, 2012, at 12:14 PM, "Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA" <JKutche@...> wrote:

 

Hi All...  I have 4 here waiting for me to specify what projects I want to try on, what I have two that have 8GB cards and 2 that have 16 GB Cards..
 
Beware you must read the compatability list to avoid obtaining periferals that do not work or do not work well. Do not just grab some of a store shelf thinking they will work.. They may, they may not...
 

 73 Jerry n9lya 

=

 

There are cards that don't work, or work unreliably.  It's worth checking the list.


John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  



On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Jim <wu3v@...> wrote:
 

Flash cards will probably work you may need to format them as ext2. Windoze will not see that partition though. 


On Aug 24, 2012, at 12:14 PM, "Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA" <JKutche@...> wrote:

 

Hi All...  I have 4 here waiting for me to specify what projects I want to try on, what I have two that have 8GB cards and 2 that have 16 GB Cards..
 
Beware you must read the compatability list to avoid obtaining periferals that do not work or do not work well. Do not just grab some of a store shelf thinking they will work.. They may, they may not...
 

 73 Jerry n9lya 

=