Topics

silicon Labs VCP drivers

Keith k2acp <k2acp@...>

I have a radio with a built in soundcard that needs the Silicon Labs VCP drivers, easy with windows but haven't found a way to install them with the Pi

Ray Wells

On 5/1/20 8:50 am, Keith k2acp wrote:
I have a radio with a built in soundcard that needs the Silicon Labs VCP drivers, easy with windows but haven't found a way to install them with the Pi

Keith k2acp <k2acp@...>

yeah I've been there but that goes way over my head fast, quick and in a hurry, I'm just a new Pi owner trying to learn Linux, guess I'll get the Signalink back out

On 1/4/2020 16:37, Ray Wells wrote:
Did you look here for ways to solve your problem https://www.silabs.com/community/interface/knowledge-base.entry.html/2013/12/11/differences_between-rFVj

HTH

Ray vk2tv

On 5/1/20 8:50 am, Keith k2acp wrote:
I have a radio with a built in soundcard that needs the Silicon Labs VCP drivers, easy with windows but haven't found a way to install them with the Pi

Ray Wells

I don't know your Silicon Labs device but from what I've read a kernel module (think driver in Windows speak) has been available for a very long time - back to kernel 2.6 - and it's an available module (cp210x) for my RPi 4 running Raspbian Buster (and also a RPi model B running Stretch). That being the case it "might" be as simple as plugging in your device to have that module loaded automatically.

What I would do - others might do this differently.
1. do lsusb (to see what devices are shown)
2. plug in your unit and do lsusb again to see if there's a new entry for your device. If yes go to the next step
3. Take a look at the end of /var/log/syslog (use tail /var/log/syslog) to see if a new USB device has been found, and take note of its device ID - e.g. /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyACM0, or similar
4. do lsmod to see if the module is in the list, indicating it has been loaded.

If you can tick all of those boxes you should have a device you can work with.

See if you can communicate with it using minicom, or for something more users friendly, and if you have a GUI environment, install Cutecom and use that.

More HTH.

Ray vk2tv

On 5/1/20 9:51 am, Keith k2acp wrote:

yeah I've been there but that goes way over my head fast, quick and in a hurry, I'm just a new Pi owner trying to learn Linux, guess I'll get the Signalink back out

On 1/4/2020 16:37, Ray Wells wrote:
Did you look here for ways to solve your problem https://www.silabs.com/community/interface/knowledge-base.entry.html/2013/12/11/differences_between-rFVj

HTH

Ray vk2tv

On 5/1/20 8:50 am, Keith k2acp wrote:
I have a radio with a built in soundcard that needs the Silicon Labs VCP drivers, easy with windows but haven't found a way to install them with the Pi

John Schultz

The Sil Labs drivers should load automatically wtih the Pi.  I have two rigs running those chips and both work great.  What rig are you using?

John

Keith k2acp <k2acp@...>

mobile will be an Icom-7100 and in the shack a FT-991, thx for the response, I will give it a try

On 1/4/2020 21:17, John Schultz wrote:
The Sil Labs drivers should load automatically wtih the Pi.  I have two rigs running those chips and both work great.  What rig are you using?

John

Keith k2acp <k2acp@...>

thank you, I never thought about it loading when plugged in.  I will give it a go