Topics

Setting for RPi4 to Icom IC-7100?

David KD4E <dcolburn@...>

I've tried every mix of settings I can find online, and a few random
ones of my own, and cannot get my RPi 4 to talk to my Icom IC-7100.

JS8Call works fine with the rig via Linux on my laptop - so I know it's good.

I'm using these audio settings:
Input "alsa_input.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TL__USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo"
Output "alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TL__USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo"

Rig: Icom IC-7100
Serial port: /dev/tty/USB0 (I've also tried /dev/tty/USB1)
Baud Rate: 19200
Data Bits: Eight
Stop Bits: Two (also tried One)
Handshake: XON/XOFF (I've also tried Default, None, and Hardware)
PTT Method: CAT
Mode: None (also tried USB and Data/Pkt)
Split Operation: None (also tried Rig and Fake It)

I've tried both the USB 2 and USB 3 ports.

I've tried rebooting the rig and rebooting the RPi4.

I'm missing some tiny detail ... help, please?

Thanks, David KD4E

Ray Wells

David,

Unless it's a typo you have incorrectly invoked calling the comport. Your example below shows "
Serial port: /dev/tty/USB0" when it should be /dev/ttyUSB0 - there shouldn't be a slash (/) between tty and USB0.

HTH
Ray vk2tv

On 9/11/19 2:01 pm, David KD4E wrote:
[...]

Sorry, yes, that's my typo.

The options are generated by the JS8Call app.

[...]

Just tried "dmesg | grep tty" with and without the USB
cable from the IC-7100.

It shows both USB ports "attached" or "disconnected" as
the cable from the rig was connected and disconnected.

It shows both ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 "attached" - even
though only one cable was connected.

It shows the same no matter which of the four USB ports
I used.

Thoughts?

Thanks, David KD4E

Ray Wells

Should have known it wasn't that easy (;->)

On 9/11/19 3:40 pm, David KD4E wrote:
[...]

Haha! Yeah, never is ...

Thanks for trying ... David KD4E

> On 11/9/19 12:57 AM, Ray Wells wrote: Should have known it wasn't > that easy (;->) > > On 9/11/19 3:40 pm, David KD4E wrote: >> Sorry, yes, that's my typo. >> >> The options are generated by the JS8Call app. >> >> Thanks, David KD4E >> >>> David, >>> >>> Unless it's a typo you have incorrectly invoked calling the >>> comport. Your example below shows "Serial port: /dev/tty/USB0" >>> when it should be /dev/ttyUSB0 - there shouldn't be a slash (/) >>> between tty and USB0. >>> >>> HTH Ray vk2tv >>> >>> On 9/11/19 2:01 pm, David KD4E wrote: >>>> I've tried every mix of settings I can find online, and a few >>>> random ones of my own, and cannot get my RPi 4 to talk to my >>>> Icom IC-7100. >>>> >>>> JS8Call works fine with the rig via Linux on my laptop - so I >>>> know it's good. >>>> >>>> I'm using these audio settings: Input >>>> "alsa_input.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TL__USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo" >>>> >>>> Output "alsa_output.usb-Burr-Brown_from_TL__USB_Audio_CODEC-00.analog-stereo"

David KD4E <dcolburn@...>

OK, gave up on the W3DJS bundle - it simply refuses to play nicely here.

Did a clean load of Buster Raspian on my RPi 4B then loaded JS8Call.

It's working fine. Here are my settings.

Audio
Input: "iec958:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0"
Output: "iec958:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0"

Rig: Icom IC-7100
CAT CONTROL
Serial port: /dev/tty/USB0
Baud Rate: 19200
Data Bits: Default
Stop Bits: Default
Handshake: Default

RIG OPTIONS
PTT Method: CAT
Mode: None
Split Operation: None

ICOM IC-7100 Rig Settings

In CONNECTORS
USB Audio SQL> OFF
ACC/USB Output Select> AF

All levels at 50%
Data Off Mod> USB
Data Mod>USB
CI-V> Baud Rate 19200
Address 88H
Transceive ON
CIV Output OFF

HTH ...

David KD4E

Hamilton Stewart

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 09:18 PM, David KD4E wrote:
It shows both ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 "attached" - even
though only one cable was connected.

It shows the same no matter which of the four USB ports
I used.

Thoughts?

 David,

The cable from the computer goes to a 2 port Hub inside the radio. There is a USB/UART for CAT/CVI control and a USB/CODEC for audio "plugged" into the Hub.  These are two independent USB devices just the same as if you had a USB Hub on your desk with a USB to serial dongle and a SignaLink plugged into it.

In short, seeing two USB devices is a good thing.

BTW Kenwood and Yaesu also uses this same arrangement.
--
Hamilton K1HMS
Amherst, NH USA

John Wiseman

Actually the 7100 has 3 usb devices - the sound card and two serial ports. One serial port is for CAT/CI-V control and the other for various data functions depending on menu settings. But I agree you should see two serial ports. The sound card appears as an audio device, not a tty device.

73,
John G8BPQ