Topics

Satellite tracking with Gpredict

Ron Liekens

I'm researching to get a hardware ready to track satellites via Gpredict with a Raspberry Pi.

It's not my intention to buy a heavy and expensive G5500 rotor but to use stepper motors and servo's and build the hardware myself to keep the cost down and gain experience with the Pi. So far I have found a brief setup with a Pi and a Arduino UNO using a strong stepper motor for azimuth rotation and a strong server for elevation movement. Its the intention of using light antennas and actually leave the hardware outside on a sturdy mount.

Is there anyone on this group that has any experience with this?

73' Ron
ON2RON

mathison ott

The Satnogs project has a base design.

73 mathison kj6dzb

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 3:04 AM Ron Liekens <r.e.liekens@...> wrote:
I'm researching to get a hardware ready to track satellites via Gpredict with a Raspberry Pi.

It's not my intention to buy a heavy and expensive G5500 rotor but to use stepper motors and servo's and build the hardware myself to keep the cost down and gain experience with the Pi. So far I have found a brief setup with a Pi and a Arduino UNO using a strong stepper motor for azimuth rotation and a strong server for elevation movement. Its the intention of using light antennas and actually leave the hardware outside on a sturdy mount.

Is there anyone on this group that has any experience with this?

73' Ron
ON2RON

Ron Liekens

Thanks Mathison.

This project uses mostly 3D printer parts for the build and I do not own one. The design is usefull as a electronics example.

73' Ron - ON2RON

Troy - K4JDA