Topics

Run application via AX25 ?

SecretOfSteel

Hi,
BQP32 delivers option to create custom apps via TELNET port thanks to CMDPORT option. It works great but I need to the same via SYNC type port and run the same application by radio connection.
Is it possible?

Regards
Tomek

Mat Murdock

Anyone have an example of this.  Sounds cool.

Mat

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, 3:32 PM SecretOfSteel <tomasz@...> wrote:
Hi,
BQP32 delivers option to create custom apps via TELNET port thanks to CMDPORT option. It works great but I need to the same via SYNC type port and run the same application by radio connection.
Is it possible?

Regards
Tomek

Mark Griffith

Over the years, there have been many attempts to do something like this.  There are several issues.

First, AX.25 is a link protocol.  You use it to establish a radio link, and then you can run an application, such as a BBS.  The BBS sends display information back over the AX.25 link, which shows on your screen.  The reason there are one character commands and very little data sent back it because of reason two below.

Second, to run other interactive applications via 1200 baud AX.25 is extremely slow.  Others have tried things like logging in via telnet or SSH, but this evolves running TCP/IP over AX.25, which slows the data transfer even more.  Not too much, but it does take up more time.  You can use AX.25 to get to web pages too, which is HTTP over AX.25.  It works, but again is really really slow.  Depending upon what is on the web page, it can be several minutes before you see anything.

Third, it's not super easy to establish a link and then run other applications over it.  It's not hard, just that it takes a little bit of knowledge on how computer networking works.

Fourth, AX.25 does not have any error correction, so if your application, or the protocol being used (telnet, SSH, etc) does not handle trashed packets very well, it will be useless.  It would require a really good link, with very few bad packets.  Most applications just hang if there are too many bad packets, and rejected packets take up even more time re-sending stuff.

The biggest problem is, it's slow for any kind of interactive work.  If you just want to login to run an application that doesn't present any output, that would be just as quick as sitting at that computer.  However, there are very few applications that would be useful to hams that do that.

The slowness can be overcome by running 9600 baud AX.25, but that requires even a better signal than 1200 baud to be useful.  Good radios and great antennas would be required.

I'm actually working on something similar, but am still testing and evaluating it to see if it will be useful.  It's basically like using a file transfer protocol to move files across an AX.25 link.  Not email, other types of files.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Friday, November 8, 2019, 4:58:51 PM CST, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:

Anyone have an example of this.  Sounds cool.

Mat

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, 3:32 PM SecretOfSteel <tomasz@...> wrote:
Hi,
BQP32 delivers option to create custom apps via TELNET port thanks to CMDPORT option. It works great but I need to the same via SYNC type port and run the same application by radio connection.
Is it possible?

Regards
Tomek

SecretOfSteel

Thanx for detailed explanation Mark. I know the limitation of speed over 1200 bps baund and accept it. It would be cool to add custom application to radio port. I'm thinking about simple solution working without keeping state, session, authorization etc. For example executing a python script on server and reveiving short output via radio.

Mat Murdock

Or maybe something to restart the node.  :)

Mat

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 12:12 PM SecretOfSteel <tomasz@...> wrote:
Thanx for detailed explanation Mark. I know the limitation of speed over 1200 bps baund and accept it. It would be cool to add custom application to radio port. I'm thinking about simple solution working without keeping state, session, authorization etc. For example executing a python script on server and reveiving short output via radio.

John Wiseman

Tomek.

Although BPQ32 uses the telnet port to link to the application, the user can connect over any port type that BPQ supports and then connect to the application. Is this what you want to do?

73,
John

On 08/11/2019 22:29, SecretOfSteel wrote:
Hi,
BQP32 delivers option to create custom apps via TELNET port thanks to CMDPORT option. It works great but I need to the same via SYNC type port and run the same application by radio connection.
Is it possible?

Regards
Tomek

SecretOfSteel

 Indeed, it works as you said. Thanx John!