Topics

Run a Windows program on the Pi 4

Peter
 

Anyone know how to run a Windows program on the Pi 4 using RaspBrain operating system. Most of the advice is to use ExaGear but that is no longer available, does anyone know of an alternative to use.
73's Peter

Dave Wade
 

Peter,

It looks like you may be able to use Wine but may need a kernel re-build. I haven’t tried this…

 

https://www.novaspirit.com/2019/04/15/run-x86-arm/

 

Dave

G4UGM

 

 

 

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter via Groups.Io
Sent: 20 January 2020 14:09
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Run a Windows program on the Pi 4

 

Anyone know how to run a Windows program on the Pi 4 using RaspBrain operating system. Most of the advice is to use ExaGear but that is no longer available, does anyone know of an alternative to use.
73's Peter

 

They are completely different hardware. If you ran an emulator it would be extremely slow. 

There are inexpensive native boxes, if you need native Windows or better find an equivalent Raspbian program. 

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, 06:08 Peter via Groups.Io <pwnewton42=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone know how to run a Windows program on the Pi 4 using RaspBrain operating system. Most of the advice is to use ExaGear but that is no longer available, does anyone know of an alternative to use.
73's Peter

Terry L. Morris
 

Not familiar with the RaspBrain operating system. I use the Raspian operating system. Is the Windows program you want to run on a Raspberry Pi compatible with the ARM CPU? You might try wine on Raspian but be aware that many Windows programs don't run well in an emulator and run slow if they run at all.

Tony
 

On 1/20/20 6:08 AM, Peter via Groups.Io wrote:

Anyone know how to run a Windows program on the Pi 4 using RaspBrain operating system. Most of the advice is to use ExaGear but that is no longer available, does anyone know of an alternative to use.


You might wish to try Pi386:
http://raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=226376

Bob Bennett
 

It's not going to work. Not possible. No way. No how.
Nothing to see here .... move on.  ;-)

Larry Dighera
 

I use one of the Udoo X86 boards for Windows (and Linux, either
natively or through WSL): https://shop.udoo.org/products/x86.html
UDOO X86 II is 10 times more powerful than Raspberry Pi 3, able to
drive up to three 4K screens at the same time

CPU: Intel Celeron N3160 2.24 Ghz
4 GB DDR3L Dual Channel RAM
Intel HD Graphics 400. Up to 640 MHz
32GB eMMC storage
Arduino Leonardo-compatible and compatible with most arduino shields
5V compliant.
IR interface.
LPC - 2 x I2C - GPIOs - Touch Screen support.
Management signals on expansion connector.
RTC Battery + Connector Included.
3 x USB 3.0 type-A sockets.



On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 06:51:45 -0800, "John D Hays - K7VE"
<@john_hays> wrote:

They are completely different hardware. If you ran an emulator it would be
extremely slow.

There are inexpensive native boxes, if you need native Windows or better
find an equivalent Raspbian program.

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020, 06:08 Peter via Groups.Io <pwnewton42=
yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone know how to run a Windows program on the Pi 4 using RaspBrain
operating system. Most of the advice is to use ExaGear but that is no
longer available, does anyone know of an alternative to use.
73's Peter

dwfunk4475
 

Attempting to run windows programs on the RiPi is a massive exercise in futility.  You might be able to get it running; guaranteed you will not like the effort nor the results.

Actual x86 SBC's aren't that much more expensive than the RiPi 4. Best bet is stick with one of those; be prepared for subpar performance compared to a desktop or laptop.


-david
.


On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 8:08 AM Peter via Groups.Io <pwnewton42=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Anyone know how to run a Windows program on the Pi 4 using RaspBrain operating system. Most of the advice is to use ExaGear but that is no longer available, does anyone know of an alternative to use.
73's Peter

Tony
 

On 1/21/20 9:28 AM, dwfunk4475 wrote:
Actual x86 SBC's aren't that much more expensive than the RiPi 4. ...
References, please?

 

Or Liva series ... You can also get refurbed small Dell computers for around $90

Also these https://www.google.com/search?q=intel+sbc

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 5:48 PM Tony via Groups.Io <ynotssor=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On 1/21/20 9:28 AM, dwfunk4475 wrote:
> Actual x86 SBC's aren't that much more expensive than the RiPi 4. ...

References, please?
--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE