Topics

Raspberry Pi Zero + Baofeng UV-5R audio problems

wayne.workman2012@...

Hello,

As the title says, having some audio problems. My goal right now is to play a short .WAV file on my raspberry pi over the radio. Once I have this working, I'll use the capability in another project. I am using a USB audio adapter that works on my Raspberry Pi 3B+. I have an assortment of items I'm using, listed below.

btech APRS cable for UV-5R
https://baofengtech.com/aprs-k2-trrs-cable

3.5mm splitter to 3.5mm mic/headphone
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maeline-3-5mm-Female-to-2-Male-Gold-Plated-Headphone-Mic-Audio-Y-Splitter-RED/323823286696?epid=4022477076&hash=item4b655f39a8:g:syoAAOSwc4Fc8vty

USB Audio adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=amazon+sound+adapter&qid=1580241232&sr=8-1

Baofeng UV-5R

Raspberry Pi Zero v1.3
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2885

It's all connected like this.

The Baofeng has VOX enabled, it's set to 1, which is the lowest sensitivity. I've tested that it does work with audio from computers using both my Ubuntu laptop and my Rasbperry Pi 3B+. The VOX works.

My raspberry pi is fully updated with latest packages, and also has these additional packages installed. The sox command being the one that provides the 'play' command I want to use.
sox motion openssh-server vim git

The following command shows me the USB sound card is device 1.
aplay -l

I've changed the default sound device on the raspberry pi by editing:
/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf

Towards the middle of the alasa.conf file there are these two lines: I changed the card number to the correct one, in my case it's 1
## CHANGE:
defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1

I'm using this command to play the .wav file:
/usr/bin/play -v 1.75 /zones/zone_five.wav

Now, the problem. When I run the play command on the Raspberry Pi Zero with everything connected as pictured above, it's like the play command crashes for some reason. Pictured:

Here's the interesting part. When I connect this setup to my Raspberry pi 3B+, it works fine. The pi plays the file and the Baofeng's VOX activates and transmits the audio being played. Also when I connect headphones to the headphone port on the USB adapter while using the Pi Zero, it works fine, I can hear the file playing and it has decent volume, though a bit crackly no matter what volume I pick.

to boil it down, for some reason this setup is not working with the Pi Zero. I've been trying things to figure this out for a week, I'm at a dead end.
I am pretty good with Linux, but I haven't even the slightest of circuitry knowledge. I am mostly googling my way through that stuff.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Wayne

Mark Griffith

Wayne,

Is your time trying to figure this out worth the extra $25 for your project?  If it works on a Pi3, use that.  The Pi zero is a pretty basic machine and the circuitry is obviously inferior.

Just my 2 cents

Mark
KD0QYN

On Saturday, February 1, 2020, 1:56:43 PM CST, wayne.workman2012@... <wayne.workman2012@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark,

It's worth my time. If I can get it to work, I'm probably going to build 20+ of these. The whole idea behind this was to find a cheaper way.

Thanks,
Wayne

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 2:28 PM Mark Griffith via Groups.Io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Wayne Workman <wayne.workman2012@...>

Don,

This is an amateur radio application. Basically I'm working to mimic the functionality of these:

I have four of those. You might notice they are 160 dollars each. I'd like to have a great deal more along with better battery life and better transmit range, but the price is a problem.

If I can simply get the Pi Zero to properly activate VOX, I have all the other parts solved - like power, case, camera, software, and cost control thereof. Plus I'd have extra features like taking photos and video and storing those to SD card.

I've avoided things like the Signalink because of it's price.

Maybe all the cheap connectors is a waste of time. Maybe I should figure on a custom circuit to handle PTT and transmit audio.

Thanks,
Wayne

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 4:56 PM Don Ritchie <donritchie@...> wrote:

Wayne,

What is your "end game"?

If we know what you are doing, it may be easier to help.

Is this an amateur radio application or are there other plans ?

Don, K8ZGW

On 2/1/2020 16:31, Wayne Workman wrote:
[...]

You may want to take into consideration the legally of this. Amateur radio is supposed to be a two-way radio service.

Mick - W7CAT

--

Terry L. Morris

Don't you mean legality Mick.

David KD4E

A Beacon is legal, it may well fall under that category.
Hams can operate remote-control vehicles, transmit one-way
weather data, and more.

I find this idea intriguing ... kd4e

> You may want to take into consideration the legally of this. Amateur > radio is supposed to be a two-way radio service. > > Mick - W7CAT > > ----- Original Message ----- From: Wayne Workman To: > RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2020 > 05:57:13 PM Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Raspberry Pi Zero + > Baofeng UV-5R audio problems > >> Don, >> >> This is an amateur radio application. Basically I'm working to >> mimic the functionality of these: >> https://www.dakotaalert.com/store/murs-alert-products/mat-murs-alert-transmitter/ > >> > >> I have four of those. You might notice they are 160 dollars each. >> I'd like to have a great deal more along with better battery life >> and better transmit range, but the price is a problem. >> >> If I can simply get the Pi Zero to properly activate VOX, I have >> all the other parts solved - like power, case, camera, software, >> and cost control thereof. Plus I'd have extra features like taking >> photos and video and storing those to SD card. >> >> I've avoided things like the Signalink because of it's price. >> >> Maybe all the cheap connectors is a waste of time. Maybe I should >> figure on a custom circuit to handle PTT and transmit audio. >> >> Thanks, Wayne >> >> >> >> On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 4:56 PM Don Ritchie wrote: >> >>> Wayne, >>> >>> What is your "end game"? >>> >>> If we know what you are doing, it may be easier to help. >>> >>> Is this an amateur radio application or are there other plans ? >>> >>> Don, K8ZGW >>> >>> >>> On 2/1/2020 16:31, Wayne Workman wrote: >>> >>> Mark, >>> >>> It's worth my time. If I can get it to work, I'm probably going >>> to build 20+ of these. The whole idea behind this was to find a >>> cheaper way. >>> >>> Thanks, Wayne >>> >>> On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 2:28 PM Mark Griffith via Groups.Io > > >>> yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote: >>> >>>> Wayne, >>>> >>>> Is your time trying to figure this out worth the extra $25 for >>>> your project? If it works on a Pi3, use that. The Pi zero is a >>>> pretty basic machine and the circuitry is obviously inferior. >>>> >>>> Just my 2 cents >>>> >>>> Mark KD0QYN >>>> >>>> >>>> On Saturday, February 1, 2020, 1:56:43 PM CST, >>>> wayne.workman2012@... wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>> Hello, >>>> >>>> As the title says, having some audio problems. My goal right >>>> now is to play a short .WAV file on my raspberry pi over the >>>> radio. Once I have this working, I'll use the capability in >>>> another project. I am using a USB audio adapter that works on >>>> my Raspberry Pi 3B+. I have an assortment of items I'm using, >>>> listed below. >>>> >>>> btech APRS cable for UV-5R >>>> https://baofengtech.com/aprs-k2-trrs-cable >>>> >>>> 3.5mm splitter to 3.5mm mic/headphone >>>> >>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maeline-3-5mm-Female-to-2-Male-Gold-Plated-Headphone-Mic-Audio-Y-Splitter-RED/323823286696?epid=4022477076&hash=item4b655f39a8:g:syoAAOSwc4Fc8vty > >>>> >>> >>>> USB Audio adapter >>>> >>>> https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=amazon+sound+adapter&qid=1580241232&sr=8-1 > >>>> >>> >>>> Baofeng UV-5R >>>> >>>> Raspberry Pi Zero v1.3 https://www.adafruit.com/product/2885 >>>> >>>> >>>> It's all connected like this. >>>> >>>> >>>> The Baofeng has VOX enabled, it's set to 1, which is the >>>> lowest sensitivity. I've tested that it does work with audio >>>> from computers using both my Ubuntu laptop and my Rasbperry Pi >>>> 3B+. The VOX works. >>>> >>>> My raspberry pi is fully updated with latest packages, and also >>>> has these additional packages installed. The sox command being >>>> the one that provides the 'play' command I want to use. sox >>>> motion openssh-server vim git >>>> >>>> The following command shows me the USB sound card is device 1. >>>> aplay -l >>>> >>>> I've changed the default sound device on the raspberry pi by >>>> editing: /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf >>>> >>>> Towards the middle of the alasa.conf file there are these two >>>> lines: I changed the card number to the correct one, in my case >>>> it's 1 ## CHANGE: defaults.ctl.card 1 defaults.pcm.card 1 >>>> >>>> I'm using this command to play the .wav file: /usr/bin/play -v >>>> 1.75 /zones/zone_five.wav >>>> >>>> Now, the problem. When I run the play command on the Raspberry >>>> Pi Zero with everything connected as pictured above, it's like >>>> the play command crashes for some reason. Pictured: >>>> >>>> >>>> Here's the interesting part. When I connect this setup to my >>>> Raspberry pi 3B+, it works fine. The pi plays the file and the >>>> Baofeng's VOX activates and transmits the audio being played. >>>> Also when I connect headphones to the headphone port on the USB >>>> adapter while using the Pi Zero, it works fine, I can hear the >>>> file playing and it has decent volume, though a bit crackly no >>>> matter what volume I pick. >>>> >>>> to boil it down, for some reason this setup is not working with >>>> the Pi Zero. I've been trying things to figure this out for a >>>> week, I'm at a dead end. I am pretty good with Linux, but I >>>> haven't even the slightest of circuitry knowledge. I am mostly >>>> googling my way through that stuff. >>>> >>>> Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you, Wayne

> [...]

I've considered the legality, thanks for letting me know, Mick.