Raspberry Pi Monitor #raspberrypi #screen

Aaron K5ATG

Hello all,
I'm still pretty new to the RPI screen. I have the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb RAM. The main reason why I got the RPI 4 is for portable radio operations. I love to do digital modes and I use a recumbent trike as my transportation to and from operating locations so I have to keep my gear small enough to be loaded on the trike. I'm looking for something that I can use as a portable monitor that does not break the bank. I have an old Kindle Fire HD 8.9" that I would love to use as a monitor but I have not been able to find out if you can or not. I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

David Lane

 There are a couple of options - the most obvious is the RPi monitor and case (7” touchscreen - you can even type on it if you have small fingers). I saw something on Kickstarter the other day about a “Pi Case” that takes a Pi and uses a 10” tablet. Not sure how it is wired.

There might be other options out there, but if you can run an HDMI into it, any monitor will do, but size tends to be the issue. I am sure there are some projects kicking around. Check Indigogo and other crowd source for ideas. You might also check Adafruit - they sometimes have ideas/solutions.

David

---
David A. Lane, KG4GIY
EC/RO Prince William County ARES®/RACES
+1.703.628.3868
http://www.pwcares.org/
IM: kg4giy

On Nov 25, 2021, at 10:15, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg@...> wrote:

Hello all,
I'm still pretty new to the RPI screen. I have the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb RAM. The main reason why I got the RPI 4 is for portable radio operations. I love to do digital modes and I use a recumbent trike as my transportation to and from operating locations so I have to keep my gear small enough to be loaded on the trike. I'm looking for something that I can use as a portable monitor that does not break the bank. I have an old Kindle Fire HD 8.9" that I would love to use as a monitor but I have not been able to find out if you can or not. I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

Ray Cadmus

VNC on your Kindle

https://amazon-kindle-fire-hdx-8-9.apkbog.com/en/apk/vnc-client-free

Regards,

Ray    W0EUM

--

On 11/25/21 8:55 AM, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io wrote:
Hello all,
I'm still pretty new to the RPI screen. I have the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb RAM. The main reason why I got the RPI 4 is for portable radio operations. I love to do digital modes and I use a recumbent trike as my transportation to and from operating locations so I have to keep my gear small enough to be loaded on the trike. I'm looking for something that I can use as a portable monitor that does not break the bank. I have an old Kindle Fire HD 8.9" that I would love to use as a monitor but I have not been able to find out if you can or not. I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

Charles Gallo

There is a slightly larger HDMI screen by Eyoyo we have used at work, but has an odd resolution

—
Charlie
73 de KG2V
Http://www.thegallos.com

On Nov 25, 2021, at 10:30 AM, David Lane <kg4giy@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Curtis

Then there is the Raspad 3. It has a nice, clear high resolution (1280 by 800) 10.1" touchscreen, access to all the Pi's ports, it even has builtin speakers if needed! And a builtin rechargeable BATTERY that they say will run the Pi and screen for 5 hours. I set one up several weeks ago, and it was not difficult. You would need to install your ham apps though, as it uses a custom version of the Raspberry Pi OS to support touch, so Ham-Pi won't work for you. Or use a mouse and keyboard, and you CAN use Ham-Pi. Either way, they claim you get 5 hours run-time from a full charge. You could have both operating systems loaded on separate SD cards (top quality cards are $20 for 128GB!), and use whichever you want, depending on your requirements. Not bad!

Ken KC3ROF

On 11/25/2021 9:55 AM, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io wrote:
Hello all,
I'm still pretty new to the RPI screen. I have the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb RAM. The main reason why I got the RPI 4 is for portable radio operations. I love to do digital modes and I use a recumbent trike as my transportation to and from operating locations so I have to keep my gear small enough to be loaded on the trike. I'm looking for something that I can use as a portable monitor that does not break the bank. I have an old Kindle Fire HD 8.9" that I would love to use as a monitor but I have not been able to find out if you can or not. I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

Michael KJ7VID

I use

SunFounder Raspberry Pi Display 13.3 Inch IPS Portable 2 HDMI Monitor 1920x1080 Gaming Monitor for Ps4 Raspberry Pi WiiU Xbox 360 Windows 7/8/10

On Nov 25, 2021, at 10:15, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello all,
I'm still pretty new to the RPI screen. I have the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb RAM. The main reason why I got the RPI 4 is for portable radio operations. I love to do digital modes and I use a recumbent trike as my transportation to and from operating locations so I have to keep my gear small enough to be loaded on the trike. I'm looking for something that I can use as a portable monitor that does not break the bank. I have an old Kindle Fire HD 8.9" that I would love to use as a monitor but I have not been able to find out if you can or not. I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

--
Sincerely,
Mike _ KJ7VID

Michael KJ7VID

I forgot to say I found it on Amazon it was $125, now $150.

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 8:31 AM Michael KJ7VID <kj7vid@...> wrote:
[...]

James French

Ham-Pi does work with the Raspad 3. used it right after i got mine via
the kickstarter last year.

Dont need any special OS either. Any of the current OS's will work wit
the Raspad 3 with no further set up.
Ive used sdrpi, ham-pi, build-a-pi, and both buster and bullseye OS's
successfully.

cant speak on the battery as mine had not been run without a charger
connected for more than
a couple of hours at a time.

James W8ISS

Ken Curtis

My question here would be does Ham-Pi support the touch screen input, or do you HAVE TO plug in a mouse and keyboard? The Raspad OS has a virtual keyboard if you want to be completely portable, so no need for mouse or keyboard at all unless you want it. The 13.3 inch Sunfounder is ONLY an external display, the Raspberry Pi itself, the mouse, keyboard, speakers, even the power supply and BATTERY would all need to be SEPARATE, which when going on a trike trip is a NUISANCE, or at least I would think so.

Ken KC3ROF

On 11/25/2021 2:16 PM, James French wrote:
Ham-Pi does work with the Raspad 3. used it right after i got mine via
the kickstarter last year.

Dont need any special OS either. Any of the current OS's will work wit
the Raspad 3 with no further set up.
Ive used sdrpi, ham-pi, build-a-pi, and both buster and bullseye OS's
successfully.

cant speak on the battery as mine had not been run without a charger
connected for more than
a couple of hours at a time.

James W8ISS

Aaron K5ATG

Thanks for all of the suggestions. For now, I am going to try the vnc client on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" because for right now it is what I have on hand. I downloaded the app on the Kindle but I am getting suck as to what the Port is and Username for Windows Authentication.

Why do you need Windows Authentication when both the Pi and the Kindle run Linux?

On 25/11/2021 21:49 Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. For now, I am going to try the vnc client on my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" because for right now it is what I have on hand. I downloaded the app on the Kindle but I am getting suck as to what the Port is and Username for Windows Authentication.
Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel@ngunn.net www http://www.ngunn.net

Michael KJ7VID

Wish you all the best. Happy Thanksgiving.

de KJ7VID 73

Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net

--
Sincerely,
Mike _ KJ7VID

ohwenzelph

Would this VNC work with other kindle fires? And does it matter if they have “lockscreen ads”?

Aaron K5ATG

Why do you need Windows Authentication when both the Pi and the Kindle run Linux?
I was wondering myself.
Once everyone here at the QTH awakens from their Post-Thanksgiving Meal induced comas, I will be able to look into it some more and try to get it figured out.

vince kd7tww

Hello, aaron
I think you need to do some more figuring and setup on the VNC server side of things. On the RPI

-
73 de Vince KD7TWW
PETA Calls On MLB To Rename 'Bats' As Name Is Offensive

On 11/26/2021 6:50:32 AM, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg@...> wrote:

Why do you need Windows Authentication when both the Pi and the Kindle run Linux?
I was wondering myself.
Once everyone here at the QTH awakens from their Post-Thanksgiving Meal induced comas, I will be able to look into it some more and try to get it figured out.

Aaron K5ATG

Ok,
Thanks for the help, I'm still learning this. I have been able to get the Pi to operate headless, I am using the VNC Viewer on my PC. It isn't portable but it is much more convenient in setting up my Pi.

Charlie Bess

I definitely do this, since I have an android tablet lying around.

Charlie Bess

Aaron K5ATG

Yeah that would be perfect but it is way beyond my budget

Aaron K5ATG

Here is a pic of the VNC Client sign in on the Kindle. Still unsure of the Port and Windows Username fields. Any ideas anyone?