Raspberry Pi-400 - Hermes Lite 2

Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...>

New member of this group and old OM planning to move to SDR
I'm thinking to a Raspberry Pi-400 with a 13.3" HDMI LCD IPS 1920x1080 tactile screen to work a Hermes Lite 2 transceiver.
I'm totally new to Raspberry with a good experience of Debian.
Is it a good and workable idea? I would use mainly Quisk, JS8Call, WSJTX and fldigi and guess I should load Linux Debian softwares. Can this softwares be easily loaded in the Pi-400? With what amount of memory for the micro-SD card?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Dave R

Hi. I use the Ham Pi suite on my Pi400. 73

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021, 23:31 Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...> wrote:

New member of this group and old OM planning to move to SDR
I'm thinking to a Raspberry Pi-400 with a 13.3" HDMI LCD IPS 1920x1080 tactile screen to work a Hermes Lite 2 transceiver.
I'm totally new to Raspberry with a good experience of Debian.
Is it a good and workable idea? I would use mainly Quisk, JS8Call, WSJTX and fldigi and guess I should load Linux Debian softwares. Can this softwares be easily loaded in the Pi-400? With what amount of memory for the micro-SD card?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Michael Prevatt

Good morning, OM,

I’m contemplating the same. Buying a 400 for my station.

I can also give a vote for the Ham Pi suite. I currently run it on my pi and it does everything I’ve asked of it.

I see no reason the install on the 400 would be simple and straightforward.

73, N4MDP

Hi. I use the Ham Pi suite on my Pi400. 73

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021, 23:31 Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...> wrote:

New member of this group and old OM planning to move to SDR
I'm thinking to a Raspberry Pi-400 with a 13.3" HDMI LCD IPS 1920x1080 tactile screen to work a Hermes Lite 2 transceiver.
I'm totally new to Raspberry with a good experience of Debian.
Is it a good and workable idea? I would use mainly Quisk, JS8Call, WSJTX and fldigi and guess I should load Linux Debian softwares. Can this softwares be easily loaded in the Pi-400? With what amount of memory for the micro-SD card?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Raspberry Pi 400 works fine. OS is basically Debian so you'll be OK there.
Remember that a Pi 400 will boot from an external USB drive so as small USB SSD works fine. I'm using the Samsung T7 model MU-PC500R. It's 500GB for around 80USD.

On 09/07/2021 02:03 Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@gmail.com> wrote:

New member of this group and old OM planning to move to SDR
I'm thinking to a Raspberry Pi-400 with a 13.3" HDMI LCD IPS 1920x1080 tactile screen to work a Hermes Lite 2 transceiver.
I'm totally new to Raspberry with a good experience of Debian.
Is it a good and workable idea? I would use mainly Quisk, JS8Call, WSJTX and fldigi and guess I should load Linux Debian softwares. Can this softwares be easily loaded in the Pi-400? With what amount of memory for the micro-SD card?
73 - Pierre - FK8IH
Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel@ngunn.net www http://www.ngunn.net

raclausi

How do you configure it to boot from an external USB drive…

Sent from my iPad rich clausi RC Software and Data

On Jul 9, 2021, at 10:00 AM, Nigel Gunn, G8IFF/W8IFF <nigel@ngunn.net> wrote:

[...]

You don't. It does it all by itself, as if by magic.

On 09/07/2021 10:56 raclausi <raclausi@kw.igs.net> wrote:

[...]

run raspi-config on startup. 73

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021, 07:58 raclausi <raclausi@...> wrote:
How do you configure it to boot from an external USB drive…

rich clausi RC Software and Data

> On Jul 9, 2021, at 10:00 AM, Nigel Gunn, G8IFF/W8IFF <nigel@...> wrote:
>
> Raspberry Pi 400 works fine. OS is basically Debian so you'll be OK there.
> Remember that a Pi 400 will boot from an external USB drive so as small USB SSD works fine. I'm using the Samsung T7 model MU-PC500R. It's 500GB for around 80USD.
>
>> On 09/07/2021 02:03 Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...> wrote:
>>

>> New member of this group and old OM planning to move to SDR
>> I'm thinking to a Raspberry Pi-400 with a 13.3" HDMI LCD IPS 1920x1080 tactile screen to work a Hermes Lite 2 transceiver.
>> I'm totally new to Raspberry with a good experience of Debian.
>> Is it a good and workable idea? I would use mainly Quisk, JS8Call, WSJTX and fldigi and guess I should load Linux Debian softwares. Can this softwares be easily loaded in the Pi-400? With what amount of memory for the micro-SD card?
>> 73 - Pierre - FK8IH
>
> Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions tel +1-937-971-0366
> Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net

Dave R

Use a powered hub if using heavy duty usb hardware otherwise lacking a power supply. 73

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021, 07:00 Nigel Gunn, G8IFF/W8IFF <nigel@...> wrote:
Raspberry Pi 400 works fine. OS is basically Debian so you'll be OK there.
Remember that a Pi 400 will boot from an external USB drive so as small USB SSD works fine. I'm using the Samsung T7 model MU-PC500R. It's 500GB for around 80USD.

> On 09/07/2021 02:03 Pierre FK8IH <jb.gallauziaux@...> wrote:
>

> New member of this group and old OM planning to move to SDR
> I'm thinking to a Raspberry Pi-400 with a 13.3" HDMI LCD IPS 1920x1080 tactile screen to work a Hermes Lite 2 transceiver.
> I'm totally new to Raspberry with a good experience of Debian.
> Is it a good and workable idea? I would use mainly Quisk, JS8Call, WSJTX and fldigi and guess I should load Linux Debian softwares. Can this softwares be easily loaded in the Pi-400? With what amount of memory for the micro-SD card?
> 73 - Pierre - FK8IH

Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net

Marty Hartwell

Hi Nigel

Does this work on the Pi 4B+ 8GB also? I am thinking of migrating from my old laptop

I use for home use, which has a 500GB SSD courently and it would be nice to keep a

near like but more up to date replacement.

Marty kd8bj