Topics

R-pi4 4GB email with claws

Marty Hartwell

Hi

I have my Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB in the setup stage trying to get it to connect

to my Gmail account. Has anyone tried this and got it to work. Also I am trying

to connect my Gmail account to the Thunderbird installed from the Repository.

I have it setup the same as on my other PC's but it comes back with invalid

name and password. Yet is correct, any ideas on either, I thought it might be nice

to give Claws a shot Thunderbird is a little bloated now.

Marty kd8bj

Bob Bennett

I had difficulty with Claws and Thunderbird so I just go through the browser and bookmark the gmail page in my toolbar

Bob

Marty Hartwell

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site layout, and I have a lot

of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really would like to get Claws

working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my credentials are incorrect.

I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 11:52 AM, Bob Bennett via Groups.Io wrote:
I had difficulty with Claws and Thunderbird so I just go through the browser and bookmark the gmail page in my toolbar

Bob

Mark Griffith

Marty,

What error do you get?  You should be able to specify mail.gmail.com and the ports to use for IMAP and SMTP along with your username and password.  Claws email is just a Raspbian port of Sylpheed email that has been around for a long time, but it does work a little differently.

Thunderbird should be pretty easy to setup.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:26:57 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site
layout, and I have a lot

of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really
would like to get Claws

working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my
credentials are incorrect.

I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 11:52 AM, Bob Bennett via Groups.Io wrote:
> I had difficulty with Claws and Thunderbird so I just go through the browser and bookmark the gmail page in my toolbar
>
> Bob

Marty Hartwell

Yes Mark I agree. I have looked at the Tbird setup on the Pi and it looks exactly like the

one on the laptop, but is gripping about the login something or other. I am making a new

disk copy of the latest Buster on a 64 GB disk to try. This is on an older 2B+ Pi so that maybe the issue. I also have a new Pi 4 with 4GB of mem and will try that, I am really hoping that will work as I would like

to use the new Pi 4 as a replacement for the old, old did I mention old laptop.

We'll see.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 4:34 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

What error do you get?  You should be able to specify mail.gmail.com and the ports to use for IMAP and SMTP along with your username and password.  Claws email is just a Raspbian port of Sylpheed email that has been around for a long time, but it does work a little differently.

Thunderbird should be pretty easy to setup.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:26:57 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site
layout, and I have a lot

of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really
would like to get Claws

working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my
credentials are incorrect.

I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 11:52 AM, Bob Bennett via Groups.Io wrote:
> I had difficulty with Claws and Thunderbird so I just go through the browser and bookmark the gmail page in my toolbar
>
> Bob

Mark Griffith

Marty,

Reason I ask is I get an error using Claws to connect to the PiGate IMAP server which is running on the localhost (127.0.0.1) on port 143.  It says there is a SASL error, and doesn't allow me to use any other authentication method.  Regular Sylpheed running on my laptop lets be specify normal password authentication and works just fine, but Claws won't let me do that.  The only option is "automatic" where it tries to figure out the authentication, and then fails with the SASL error.

That's the problem with lots of these newer email clients, they try to assume too much to be more helpful to the less knowledgeable users.  (Not you).

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:44:08 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Yes Mark I agree. I have looked at the Tbird setup on the Pi and it looks exactly like the

one on the laptop, but is gripping about the login something or other. I am making a new

disk copy of the latest Buster on a 64 GB disk to try. This is on an older 2B+ Pi so that maybe the issue. I also have a new Pi 4 with 4GB of mem and will try that, I am really hoping that will work as I would like

to use the new Pi 4 as a replacement for the old, old did I mention old laptop.

We'll see.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 4:34 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

What error do you get?  You should be able to specify mail.gmail.com and the ports to use for IMAP and SMTP along with your username and password.  Claws email is just a Raspbian port of Sylpheed email that has been around for a long time, but it does work a little differently.

Thunderbird should be pretty easy to setup.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:26:57 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site
layout, and I have a lot

of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really
would like to get Claws

working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my
credentials are incorrect.

I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 11:52 AM, Bob Bennett via Groups.Io wrote:
> I had difficulty with Claws and Thunderbird so I just go through the browser and bookmark the gmail page in my toolbar
>
> Bob

Mark Griffith

Marty,

Oh, and I tried a Pi4 as a desktop too.  I'm a real supporter of the Raspberry Pi, but the desktop is still too slow for me compared to my Windows laptop.  Still too "chunky" moving things around still sometimes hang or gets stuck.  This is using an HDMI monitor.  The 7-inch display works great, just too small to use a s a working desktop.

VNC works but still too slow.  Again, this is a Pi4 with 2GB of RAM.  I'm sure reducing the resolution would help, but again, it's not like my laptop with a 1920x1080 screen and two monitors.

I tries using it as a desktop for a few days and got frustrated.  Raspbian desktop is just not there yet, IMHO.  You may find it OK.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:44:08 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Yes Mark I agree. I have looked at the Tbird setup on the Pi and it looks exactly like the

one on the laptop, but is gripping about the login something or other. I am making a new

disk copy of the latest Buster on a 64 GB disk to try. This is on an older 2B+ Pi so that maybe the issue. I also have a new Pi 4 with 4GB of mem and will try that, I am really hoping that will work as I would like

to use the new Pi 4 as a replacement for the old, old did I mention old laptop.

We'll see.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 4:34 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

What error do you get?  You should be able to specify mail.gmail.com and the ports to use for IMAP and SMTP along with your username and password.  Claws email is just a Raspbian port of Sylpheed email that has been around for a long time, but it does work a little differently.

Thunderbird should be pretty easy to setup.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:26:57 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site
layout, and I have a lot

of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really
would like to get Claws

working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my
credentials are incorrect.

I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 11:52 AM, Bob Bennett via Groups.Io wrote:
> I had difficulty with Claws and Thunderbird so I just go through the browser and bookmark the gmail page in my toolbar
>
> Bob

Jim Higgins

I don't use Gmail, so the terms I use will probably be incorrect...

What you probably need to do is somehow tell Gmail you're using a client of some sort that Gmail doesn't consider to be secure. Once they know you're willing to use an insecure client, you should be OK with that client.

With that concept in mind, search Gmail for details about using an old or insecure client.

73 de Jim, KB3PU

Received from Marty Hartwell at 12/9/2019 22:26 UTC:

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site layout, and I have a lot
of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really would like to get Claws
working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my credentials are incorrect.
I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

g4sra

Jim is correct. There is an issue with GMail.
This also applies to any new PC, Tablet, etc.

After permitting "insecure" (in reality more secure but Google dont want you using it) apps\connections in your GMail settings.
You will also need to connect to GMail using a browser running on your new Pi.
That way Google can snoop all your information and log the identity of the connecting device for comparison next time you log in (from thunderbird say).

On 10/12/2019 01:18, Jim Higgins wrote:

[...]

David KD4E <dcolburn@...>

Or, just refuse to use gmail? :-)

On December 10, 2019 08:30:22 "g4sra via []" <g4sra=yahoo.co.uk@[]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark

Yes I did see the default on Claws using the Pi server. I changed it to the Gmail server, it allowed

me to do that, and on to other setup information. However at the end it also gripped about

validation error during the gmail login attempt. So it seems to be a communication error or

something else. My hope is that when I attempt it on the Pi 4 it will work. However the disk

is loaded with the same Buster op sys.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 4:55 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

Reason I ask is I get an error using Claws to connect to the PiGate IMAP server which is running on the localhost (127.0.0.1) on port 143.  It says there is a SASL error, and doesn't allow me to use any other authentication method.  Regular Sylpheed running on my laptop lets be specify normal password authentication and works just fine, but Claws won't let me do that.  The only option is "automatic" where it tries to figure out the authentication, and then fails with the SASL error.

That's the problem with lots of these newer email clients, they try to assume too much to be more helpful to the less knowledgeable users.  (Not you).

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:44:08 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Yes Mark I agree. I have looked at the Tbird setup on the Pi and it looks exactly like the

one on the laptop, but is gripping about the login something or other. I am making a new

disk copy of the latest Buster on a 64 GB disk to try. This is on an older 2B+ Pi so that maybe the issue. I also have a new Pi 4 with 4GB of mem and will try that, I am really hoping that will work as I would like

to use the new Pi 4 as a replacement for the old, old did I mention old laptop.

We'll see.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 4:34 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

What error do you get?  You should be able to specify mail.gmail.com and the ports to use for IMAP and SMTP along with your username and password.  Claws email is just a Raspbian port of Sylpheed email that has been around for a long time, but it does work a little differently.

Thunderbird should be pretty easy to setup.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:26:57 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site
layout, and I have a lot

of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really
would like to get Claws

working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my
credentials are incorrect.

I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 11:52 AM, Bob Bennett via Groups.Io wrote:
> I had difficulty with Claws and Thunderbird so I just go through the browser and bookmark the gmail page in my toolbar
>
> Bob

Marty Hartwell

We I gave up on Windows a long time ago, I use older HP laptops now, the current one is loaded

with Xubuntu 16.04 loaded on a 500GB Solid State Disk. Partitioned with two root partitions and one

home partition. I have two screens, the laptop plus one 15" from my old Dell desktop. I had tried

the Xubuntu 18.04 but it doesn't seem as stable to me. So the 16.04 is LTS for another year or so

yet so I will stick with it for a while yet. I have tried Kubuntu and Mint versions in my second root

partition but they just don't seem to suit my needs, as I think both are more system hogs. I may

have to shop the local pawn shop the sells refurbished laptops, and get one a little more expensive

with maybe 4GB memory and better wifi speed. Also I think my cheap internet provider is to slow

for what I think it should be, but being retired the higher speed offerings are to much for my

pocket book right now. So I am going to buy another adapter to allow the second monitor on the

PI 4 and try moving the home office chores to the pi and use the laptop for ham related activities.

We'll see the cost of this experiment is low and interesting. The Raspian OS is not that much

different then the Xubuntu and an easy switch, plus I think I maybe able to get a Ubuntu version

to load onto the Pi if I should choose at a later date to try that.

Have a good day Mark and I hope to talk to you again.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 5:02 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

Oh, and I tried a Pi4 as a desktop too.  I'm a real supporter of the Raspberry Pi, but the desktop is still too slow for me compared to my Windows laptop.  Still too "chunky" moving things around still sometimes hang or gets stuck.  This is using an HDMI monitor.  The 7-inch display works great, just too small to use a s a working desktop.

VNC works but still too slow.  Again, this is a Pi4 with 2GB of RAM.  I'm sure reducing the resolution would help, but again, it's not like my laptop with a 1920x1080 screen and two monitors.

I tries using it as a desktop for a few days and got frustrated.  Raspbian desktop is just not there yet, IMHO.  You may find it OK.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:44:08 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Yes Mark I agree. I have looked at the Tbird setup on the Pi and it looks exactly like the

one on the laptop, but is gripping about the login something or other. I am making a new

disk copy of the latest Buster on a 64 GB disk to try. This is on an older 2B+ Pi so that maybe the issue. I also have a new Pi 4 with 4GB of mem and will try that, I am really hoping that will work as I would like

to use the new Pi 4 as a replacement for the old, old did I mention old laptop.

We'll see.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 4:34 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

What error do you get?  You should be able to specify mail.gmail.com and the ports to use for IMAP and SMTP along with your username and password.  Claws email is just a Raspbian port of Sylpheed email that has been around for a long time, but it does work a little differently.

Thunderbird should be pretty easy to setup.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:26:57 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site
layout, and I have a lot

of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really
would like to get Claws

working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my
credentials are incorrect.

I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 11:52 AM, Bob Bennett via Groups.Io wrote:
> I had difficulty with Claws and Thunderbird so I just go through the browser and bookmark the gmail page in my toolbar
>
> Bob

Marty Hartwell

Hi Jim

Actually I went down that road earlier with Thunderbird. Gmail told me T'bird was to unsecure using

POP3 and made me switch to IMAP which I did which slowed everything way down. I am still using the

IMAP setup on all the machines I read mail from, some *nix and one windows 10 machine. All real slow

but even on the browser direct to gmail it is slow so maybe I will need to switch email providers. But

I haven't gone down that route yet.

I have confirmed that the setup in the Raspian version of Thunderbird has the same correct

information as this laptop has so I will continue trying it out. The nice thing about IMAP is that

I can have the same email information on all of the machines. I was hoping to be able to try

out Claws on the Pi to see if that might be a viable alternative to T'bird so I may check if on the

Pi group some more to see if I can't get some more help.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 7:18 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:

[...]

Hi David

Yes, that thought has crossed my mine. I do have a Yahoo email account that I can attempt

to connect to also with Claws and T'bird and send some test messages to, and see how that

might work on the Pi. I do see where g4sra is on a UK yahoo account but don't know if he

is using it on a Pi or not.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/10/19 8:31 AM, David KD4E wrote:
[...]

Rick Harkins WØYGH <rick.harkins@...>

To use Gmail with anything other than your browser, you need to create an application-specific password in your Google account.

Here's a good explanation of how to do it:

You could also do a Google search for 'application specific password for gmail'.

73,
Rick W0YGH

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019, 6:35 PM Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:
Hi

I have my Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB in the setup stage trying to get it to
connect

to my Gmail account. Has anyone tried this and got it to work. Also I am
trying

to connect my Gmail account to the Thunderbird installed from the
Repository.

I have it setup the same as on my other PC's but it comes back with invalid

name and password. Yet is correct, any ideas on either, I thought it
might be nice

to give Claws a shot Thunderbird is a little bloated now.

Marty kd8bj

Martin Cooper

I can't say when you do and don't need this, but I set up Thunderbird (v 68.2.1) on a Xubuntu system just a few days ago, asked it to add my GMail account, and it did so without any fuss at all, and without any application passwords. What you need to do is make sure the authentication method is set to OAuth2.

Martin.
KD6YAM

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 7:52 AM Rick Harkins WØYGH <rick.harkins@...> wrote:
[...]

Oauth2 is the key. If your client supports it, then you don't need the app password. Not many clients support it.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019, 10:07 AM Martin Cooper <kd6yam@...> wrote:
[...]

Now that you bring it up... the best solution for a number of reasons might be to get away from Gmail... or anything else requiring an account with Google... or anything owned by Google.

But on the plus side, Google did save me big bucks on a colonoscopy. Instead of paying several thousand dollars and spending an unpleasant day at the hospital, I just gave Google $50 to send pictures from 10 feet up my backside to my proctologist and that was that. Kidding of course, but they are gathering all the info on you that they can.

Seriously now... you should be able to use POP3 with SSL enabled in Thunderbird with every bit as much security as with your current IMAP setup and none of the slowdown... assuming Gmail allows POP3 with SSL enabled. If not, I'd dump them.

73 de Jim, KB3PU

Received from Marty Hartwell at 12/10/2019 15:36 UTC:

Hi Jim

Actually I went down that road earlier with Thunderbird. Gmail told me T'bird was to unsecure using POP3 and made me switch to IMAP which I did which slowed everything way down. I am still using the IMAP setup on all the machines I read mail from, some *nix and one windows 10 machine. All real slow but even on the browser direct to gmail it is slow so maybe I will need to switch email providers. But I haven't gone down that route yet.
[ snip ]

[...]

Hi Rick

If one is using the same application namely Thunderbird and using the same setup is using

an application specific password and it works on three laptop pc's but not on the PI.

However I am going to look at the link you sent just to see if there is a hint as what I am

seeing.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj

On 12/10/19 8:59 AM, Rick Harkins WØYGH wrote:
[...]

Hi Martin

Yes all of that is correct on all three of my laptops, and the same information on the Pi. The laptops

work well and the Pi gives the error of incorrect validation. So in my mind the problem is in

the Thunderbird and Claws on the Pi, bottom line problem on the maybe in OS, or in the applications.

Marty kd8bj