Topics

PulseAudio

Joseph Mancino

Edited

Hi all, 

I am currently testing HamPi with my FT-991A remotely and so far it is working without any problems. Very easy to set up and operate. I am leaving all my gear behind when I go to college here in 3 weeks so I wanted to be able to operate from my dorm. Anyways, using VNC is great, but there is no audio capability as of yet for home users (only for business users). My question is...is there a way to pipe audio through the VNC connection at all? I know there is PulseAudio but I can’t seem to find many ways to set it up. Has anyone else done this? I’d like to still work SSB and some VHF/UHF nets around my QTH. Just wanting to figure out if this is possible. 

Thanks,
Joe KC3LMP

Arjan - PD3SPY

Hi Joe,

Could this threat be of any help? I've seen this particular question before but can't remember where. I'll do a search tonight...

Arjan
PD3SPY

Christopher Rose

KM4ACK on youtube. He has a pi build with pulse audio option. Look for build a pi v 3 video.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/30/20 11:55 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] PulseAudio

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi all, 

I am currently testing HamPi with my FT-991A remotely and so far it is working without any problems. Very easy to set up and operate. I am leaving all my gear behind when I go to college here in 3 weeks so I wanted to be able to operate from my dorm. Anyways, using VNC is great, but there is no audio capability as of yet for home users (only for business users). My question is...is there a way to pipe audio through the VNC connection at all? I know there is PulseAudio but I can’t seem to find many ways to set it up. Has anyone else done this? I’d like to still work SSB and some VHF/UHF nets around my QTH. Just wanting to figure out if this is possible. 

Thanks,
Joe KC3LMP

J Mathieson

Harry Bloomberg W3YJ in the March 2020 QST describes just this project using Nomachine in place of Real VNC. 

Perry Buch

You could also setup a Mumble server. Super low latency and could pipe the audio through it. It’s free and open source and has clients for all major devices and OS

Perry

On Jul 31, 2020, at 9:34 AM, J Mathieson <ruteuser1@...> wrote:

Harry Bloomberg W3YJ in the March 2020 QST describes just this project using Nomachine in place of Real VNC. 

w9ran

On 7/30/2020 10:24 PM, Joseph Mancino wrote:

My question is...is there a way to pipe audio through the VNC connection at all?
VNC Cconnect supports audio streaming: https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/audio/

BUT you need a Professional or Enterprise subscription to be able to use it so not great for hams and hobbyists.   Icecast is one packaged option, but I'd suggest you take a look here first to get a sense for some alternatives and how it works: https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/Linux_Audio_and_Streaming

73, Bob W9RAN

bbillp

In the past folks have setup SKYPE for audio but now HRO and MFJ sell a commercial interface which might be outside your budget.  You did pretty good so far with the remote , in my day I C-Clamped a shovel handle with a HF mobile whip at the end to my window frame and dropped a radial down to the ground.  It worked with limitations.   Good luck in school.     

Joseph Mancino

Yeah I seen that they support audio but not great for hobbyists as you said. I wish they gave home users the ability to use it as this would make my application a heck of a lot easier!