Problems with thumbdrive backup #hampi

John

I would like to generate a backup for my Raspberry Pi-4b prior to upgrading HamPi.  My setup uses a hard drive.

I have a 32 GB flash drive now.  I used it to try to transfer a backup with an error and it would give an error and limit the file to 4 GB.  That file was deleted.

First, I want to change the name of the thumb drive directly.  When I try to do that I find I get an error and it doesn't change the name.

Second, can I delete the extra files that where already on the thumb drive (when purchased, I think).

Attached is a screen grab of what happened and what the directory permissions are.

John,  W0GN

Kelly Keeton

Photo resolution is low hard to make out all the text but I see permissions on changing attributes. You run with sudo?

https://raspberryexpert.com/how-to-backup-raspberry-pi/
A random blog on topic

Run gparted and reformat the thumb drive FAT32 before you re-use it. gparted will also rename it.

If you want to take a copy of your Pi herd drive you will need another drive at least as big. Back it up with 'dd if-[existing drive] of=[new drive]'

On 21/10/2021 10:05 John <radio@netins.net> wrote:

I would like to generate a backup for my Raspberry Pi-4b prior to upgrading HamPi. My setup uses a hard drive.

I have a 32 GB flash drive now. I used it to try to transfer a backup with an error and it would give an error and limit the file to 4 GB. That file was deleted.

First, I want to change the name of the thumb drive directly. When I try to do that I find I get an error and it doesn't change the name.

Second, can I delete the extra files that where already on the thumb drive (when purchased, I think).

Attached is a screen grab of what happened and what the directory permissions are.

John, W0GN
Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel@ngunn.net www http://www.ngunn.net

Dave R

I recommend either crowdsourcing a full groups.i.o membership or using a linkable cloud server to post detailed graphics. 73

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021, 07:05 John <radio@...> wrote:
I would like to generate a backup for my Raspberry Pi-4b prior to upgrading HamPi.  My setup uses a hard drive.

I have a 32 GB flash drive now.  I used it to try to transfer a backup with an error and it would give an error and limit the file to 4 GB.  That file was deleted.

First, I want to change the name of the thumb drive directly.  When I try to do that I find I get an error and it doesn't change the name.

Second, can I delete the extra files that where already on the thumb drive (when purchased, I think).

Attached is a screen grab of what happened and what the directory permissions are.

John,  W0GN

Why? He only wants to back up his drive to install a new OS. Just spend $70 and buy another drive.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021, 07:05 John <radio@netins.net> wrote:
I would like to generate a backup for my Raspberry Pi-4b prior to upgrading HamPi. My setup uses a hard drive.

M M

Don't do it on just one thumb drive.

I've had them die with no warning...
the failure modes I've seen are:

1) go to totally not there with no warning.
2) "Disk is unreadable, must be formatted"
3) go to read-only with no warning... at least that one is copyable to a new drive.
4) display a message "Insert a disk into drive (letter)" where the (letter) is what the drive's letter was yesterday.

I've got a 256 gig one that is in the last state right now and haven't a clue as to how to get the data back.

Paul M

Take a look at The Ultimate Guide to Backup and Restore your Raspberry Pi

Gives several methods including dd, rsync, over network, compacting files, adding/removing files, scheduling backups.

HTH

Paul, 5B8BA