Topics

porta pi FT8

John Records

Is anyone using a pi 3b or b+ in the field with a USB power pack, for FT8 and other digital modes?

Does the pi have the processing power for decoding?

Will it run ok off a stock power pack?

Thanks in advance.

73 de KE0DDV
John

Chuck M

I have used a RPI for portable ops, mostly FT8 and some SSB.  Deep cycle marine battery for power.  Used a buck converter to provide 5 VDC output.  Tweaked voltage to eliminate undervoltage warning on screen.

Printed small case for buck converter.  Cut old usb cable in two and soldered to converter for power connection.

Used power poles on 12 VDC side to plug into power strip.

GL
73s
Chuck
KD9DVB

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 7:35 PM, John Records
<john.records@...> wrote:
Is anyone using a pi 3b or b+ in the field with a USB power pack, for FT8 and other digital modes?

Does the pi have the processing power for decoding?

Will it run ok off a stock power pack?

Thanks in advance.

73 de KE0DDV
John

Phil

On 20/9/20 9:35 am, John Records wrote:
Is anyone using a pi 3b or b+ in the field with a USB power pack, for FT8 and other digital modes?

Does the pi have the processing power for decoding?

Will it run ok off a stock power pack?
I use a PI 3B to run several different digital modes and power it from one of those small Lithium batteries that are used to jump-start a vehicle and to charge a mobile phone.

--

Regards,
Phil

Lawrence Macionski

Edited

I am using a nice little postage stamp size..less than 1x1 inches. 6-24V to USB.. For my ALLSTAR NODE...RPI3B+ plus a SHARI hotspot..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXU1C6U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Came in 2 days, reasonably priced and...with backups. It's been "on the air" 2 weeks now..

de Larry W8LM

PS---I measured a constant 5.1V at the USB connector of the 1st one I used. which allows for drop on a USB to microUSB cable.
PPS- it has a little red LED to indicate "goes-in-to".

Bruce

I use a 3b for CQRlog and fldigi by USB cable to an IC-7300. I'm planning JS8Call. I have no interest in FT8 but JS8Call is a QSO using FT8 as the base. When using fldigi I was getting both a temperature warning and a power warning. For the temperature warning I bought after-market heat sinks and that problem went away. For the power shortage I took the 2.5 amp, 5 volt power supply for an old Roku device and changed the end to the proper USB plug. I did install the newer Buster version of the OS anticipating JS8Call. The CPU usage graph shows it at nearly idle even with a full fldigi decode going on.The Pi seems to have plenty of power for that use.

I had to experiment with the audio output "volume" settings for the transceiver "audio" (called CODEC on my Pi) until I got a decent waterfall level. Then the decoding went well. That need to change the audio seems to depend on whether flrig or fldigi in controlling the transceiver.

Charles Albert

Hiw did you configure for /dev/ttyUSB0 ?

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020, 11:40 Bruce <w4bru@...> wrote:
[...]

richard.overman@...

I'm using a 5v linear regulator to step down 12v to 5v, the LM1084IT-5.0/NOPB, with a heatsink and a 12v fan in a little box with the pi.