Topics

PiTNC 9K6 deviation and test commands

James Cizek

Hi all,
New to this group. Was directed here by Coastal Chip Works. I am new to 9K6 baud packet and finding I have a lot to learn.  I have (3) 9K6 TNCs,  2 of them are the Coastal Chip TNCx9k6 and the other is a Kantronics KPC-9612+
I am having a hard time getting anything to talk to anything.  Sometimes I can get a connection, but it usually times out before moving much data at all.  I am (currently) using a Yaesu FT7800r on the PiTNC9k6 using the 9600 pins and have 9600 baud set in the menu.
On the Kantronics, I am using a Motorola Maxtrac that I modified to feed the varactor directly, and discriminator audio back out.

2 questions here.  1)  What deviation is recommended for 9600 baud?  I've seen both 3khz and 5khz as recommended "standards".  I run 1200 baud very successfully at a 3khz. Wondering if 9600 is same?
2) Is there a command to cause the PiTNC9K6 to generate a signal (square wave, random data, etc) so that deviation can be monitored and adjusted via my service monitor?   The Kantronics allows a square wave or a "scramble" to be sent.  Is there an equivalent for the PiTNC9K6?

Thanks to all.  This has been a frustrating road thus far and I am hoping some of the expertise here will get me back on track!
73
James
KI0KN

Mat Murdock

Can you post the current setting on your TNC using the pitnc_getparams utility?

Mat

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 10:51 AM James Cizek <james.m.cizek@...> wrote:
[...]

John Wiseman

James,

If you have the spec for the radio that gives the required tx input level then a good starting point is to set the Teensy to give that voltage. TXLevel 255 corresponds to 3000 mV peak to peak.

There is a calibrate feature that sends flags (scrambled if using 9600) for 10 seconds. Use pitnc_setparams to set register 15 to 3.

73,
John

On 08/04/2019 17:42, James Cizek wrote:
[...]

I can't find any specs on what the radio wants to see for voltage.

I tried setting parameter 15 to 3 with this line:
root@raspberrypi:~# ./pitnc_setparams /dev/serial0 0 15 03

It returns this line on the screen:
pitnc_setparams Version 0.0.0.5

but does not transmit anything.  No PTT, no nothing.

Here is the output of pitnc_getparams 0 0

pitnc_getparams Version 0.0.0.5

Using Serial port /dev/ttyAMA0
retrying...

   TNC Software Version           8
01 TXDelay - Zero means use ADC 150
02 Persistance                  255
03 Slottime (in 10 mS)          255
04 TXTail                       255
05 Full Duplex - Not used       255
06 Our Channel (Hex)             ff
07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   ff
08 Mode Speed                  9600
09 RX Level (Config)              0
10 TX Level                     255
11 RX Level (Actual)            115
13 Centre Freq                 2550
8 8 96 ff ff ff ff ff ff 60 0 ff 73 ff 85 c0 sum 0

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, am I barking up the wrong tree asking for proper deviation?  I can't seem to find anyone that will tell me what properly deviated 9600 baud is.  I am going to assume for now that the Kantronics document is right and set things to 3khz I guess.

Thanks all for the assistance.

James
KI0KN

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 3:01 PM John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
[...]

You are running quite an old version of the TNC software (version 8). It may be that doesn't have the calibrate function. Try with the latest.

http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/Beta/TeensyProjects.zip

If Kantronics suggest 3KHz deviation that is probably a good place to start.

73,
John

On 09/04/2019 03:35, James Cizek wrote:
[...]

I've back rev'd my IDE to 1.8.8 so I could install the Teensy module.  All good there.  I've moved the platforms and boards.txt files into the AVR directory. I've set the Teensyprojects as the default sketchbook location.  I can't get it to compile:

SM_Teensy:15: error: #error ("PACKET not defined in TeensyConfig.h");
 #error("PACKET not defined in TeensyConfig.h");

I'll bang on it a little more. This is a confusing error because PACKET *is* configured in the header file...

I did some more testing last night with the modems.  It seems that my Kantronics can decode the tnc9k6 transmissions quite well.  Running LinBPQ it's decoding every single Beacon packet successfully the first time.  The 9k6 is having a LOT of trouble decoding anything sent to it by anything else.  I might switch out the FT7800r for another radio and see if I get better results.  At this point, it seems to be most a receive decoding issue.

Thanks for the continued help.
James

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 3:39 AM John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
[...]

I've gotten past the PACKET define issue.  It compiles quite a bit of the code before it errors out again:
 SM_Teensy: In function 'int displayDCD(int)':
SM_Teensy:120: error: 'LED0' was not declared in this scope
 #define DCDLED LED0

                ^

C:\Users\jc2\Documents\Arduino\TP\TeensyProjects\SM_Teensy\SM_Teensy.ino:535:12: note: in expansion of macro 'DCDLED'

     SetLED(DCDLED, state);

            ^

'LED0' was not declared in this scope

  Any hints on what I might be hitting?

I'm sorry to ask for help on this.  I normally would enjoy the challenge of figuring this all out, but in this case, I just need a working 9600 baud modem for an event that is right around the corner and this has become pretty frustrating trying to just get the basics functioning.   If the answer is "go figure it out", I am OK with that.  I am not looking for anyone to do the work for me, just trying to get to a working end state before a deadline.

Thanks again for any help.

James

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 8:51 AM James Cizek via Groups.Io <james.m.cizek=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Perry Ogletree

That sounds like a missing library or misplaced library for the Teensy.

Perry K4PWO

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10+.

[...]

Ray Wells

If I may chime in here regarding 9k6 deviation.

In 1995 the ARRL published "Packet: Speed, More Speed" a compendium of previously published articles on higher speed packet. Two well known pioneers of 9k6 packet modems are James Miller, G3RUH, and Steve Goode, K9NG. Documentation for both modems mention ±3 kHz deviation. Other articles in the book also mention this value. Miller uses the value in a sentence that says (for his modem) "±3 kHz gives RF spectrum 20 kHz wide (-60dB)" and that highlights the need to not "over-deviate" because of possible receiver IF passband constraints.

A totally unrelated sentence in an article on APRS shows how popular APRS has become. "A total of 20 APRS/GPS mobiles were tracked in-and-around DAYTON, 1994!"

Ray vk2tv

On 9/4/19 7:39 pm, John Wiseman wrote:
[...]

Thank you Ray for that info!

I figured out the problem with my Arduino sketch compile.  The instructions that come with the Coastal chip TNC say the Teensy is a 3.2, but it's actually a 3.6.  Between the board being set wrong in the IDE and finding an error in the syntax in the config file (which I am sure I put in there accidentally, so no blame whatsoever to the authors!!!) I was able to get a successful compile and load into the board.  I will give it a try tonight and see if the new code, and setting deviation on both sides properly helps get me to where I need to be.

Many thanks for all the input from you fine folks.
James
KI0KN

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 4:14 PM Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:
[...]

The new software in the Teensy gave me the ability to set the transmit levels. They were high, with deviation at about 4.02mhz.  I was able to drop that back.  WIth it set at 3.0khz, the PiTNC9k6 is still being decoded very well by other TNCs.  I started using random RX levels on that TNC to see how it affected decoding.  I got to about 30~50% success in decoding packets when the RX level was set somewhere between 250 and 254.   At that point, the yellow DCD light was just flickering and not on solid when a packet comes in.

I am going to try to swap out the Yaesu FT7800r for another radio on the Pi side and see if solves the issue.  The Motorola Maxtrac that I modified for direct varactor injection hooked to the Kantronics seems to work both directions very, very well now, so hoping that a Maxtrac on the PiTNC will solve the remaining issue.   Kind of curious why I am having trouble with a supposed "9600 ready" radio. The TX side of things works great, just can't get it to decode worth a darn on RX!

Appreciate the help and also the excellent material from Ray about 9K6 data details!
73
James
KI0KN

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 4:19 PM James Cizek via Groups.Io <james.m.cizek=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I have had time to go through this very thoroughly now.  The problem I have remains to be decoding packets with the Pi9K6.  It is transmitting beautifully and being decoded by everything I can listen to it with at 100%.  It will NOT decode packets to save it's life.  I have tried multiple radios and have tried sending TO it with multiple setups (Kantronics KPC9612, Kenwood D710, and another Pi9K6).  It *rarely* decodes any packets at all.  Every once in a while I'll get lucky with a connect, but it times out after repeated tries to send the next packet.

I have tried setting the RXlevel to 0 (auto) and tried many, many settings as a fixed value.  When I have RX value up at about 240, it decodes as many as may 2~3% of the packets sent to it.  If I leave it at 0, it seems to set the RX level to about 85 on the first packet through, but it does not decode it.

I have all other combinations of TNC's / Radios working great, but neither of my Pi9K6's will decode squat no matter what radio!  In all cases, I am either using the dedicated jack for 9600 built on the radio, or if it doesn't have one, am using direct discriminator output.

Anyone have any ideas for me?
Thanks in advance.

James
KI0KN

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Hello James,

It looks like you've done your homework with trying different receive radios (Motorola, Maxtrac, Yaesu FT7800, etc), built and updated the PiTNC firmware, done full level settings, etc.  No additional steps comes to mind except possibly stalling some diagnostic firmware to review the incoming signal to see if it looks ok or not.  Maybe something like that exists but I'm not sure.  It seems the next logical step is to contact John Hansen who makes the TNC.  His email is posted on the last page of the TNC assembly manual.

On 04/25/2019 08:17 AM, James Cizek wrote:
[...]

Are you using this connected to a PI or in stand alone mode?  This is a version we use on our PiTNC 9K6's we make.

Most of our users run them stand alone, meaning they just connect the TNC to their computers with the USB connection of the Teensy and it shows up as a serial kiss TNC.  What is weird is I tried the latest firmware / sketch and I couldn't connect to anything either 1200 or 9600 baud.  I loaded back up the older version we have been using and 1200 went back to being rock solid, 9600 is still about 50/50.  There is probably some addition tweaking that I could do.

If you load up the version above you will not need to have it connected to a PI.  Just connect the teensy usb to your computer.  If you want the source code for the version we use you can find it here.  https://www.wvcarc.com/p/tnc-96k-resources.html

Mat
K2MJM

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 8:52 AM David Ranch <dranch@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Poaps

I have p6k tnc. I've been too busy to program the teensy with life

I just want it to connect to Winlink Gateways etc VHF/UHF

later

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 8:13 AM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
[...]

My experience is that 1200 baud is rock solid.  9600 baud needs a little bit more work whether that is software or radio hard tweaks I'm not sure.  I am up for the challenge if there is others that want to take it on.

Mat
K2MJM

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 9:36 AM Don Poaps <va7dgp@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, our goal is to simply have a 9K6 Winlink node also.  We have a mountain town about 30 miles west of the front range that has a Achilles heal.  ALL of the telecommunications infrastructure runs on a single fiber up the canyon.  That includes internet, telephone, cell backhaul, 911 dispatch, *EVERYTHING*.  It's damaged/cut often leaving the town completely stranded from the world.  Our ARES teams have been heli-dropped in there in the past during floods and fires to setup a link to the outside world.  We are trying to setup a fast(ish) link for them to use email at least in these not-so-spaced apart emergencies.  I am using the 9K6 on a pi running BPQ.   I am getting 99% decode on the Kantronics and the Timewave TNC's using all combos of TNC and Radio, but can't get the 9K6 pi TNC to decode.  I'll give the stuff Mat suggested a try over the weekend and see if I can learn more.
I've looked at the "eye" pattern coming in to the TNC on a scope.  I've got the radio to the point where the eye is perfect (as far as I can tell), no distortion or limiting or anything, and it still won't decode.

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I'll try the firmware you mention and see if I can learn anything more!

73
James
KI0KN

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 9:41 AM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
[...]

Will the 9k6 pi-tnc support the other modes/speeds such as 2400, 3600 or 4800?

Bill

Todd Kolmodin <n7try.or@...>

James,
I’m having the same issue with my 9k6. It’s gone deaf. I contacted John at Coastal and he recommended re-flashing the Teensy. All the instructions and links to the utilities are in the 9k6 manual. I’m going to try that tonight. 73 Todd N7TRY

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 7:52 AM David Ranch <dranch@...> wrote:

[...]

I also have a BPQ32 node with a Kantronics 9612+ on it.  I usually connect to it with a Kenwood D710G and it works reliably.  My Pi9k connected to the same radio through the packet port will connect, but will generally not complete a full session through Winlink.  I need to hook up my debugging cables back up to my TNC so I can see what is going on.

Mat