Topics

PiTNC9k6 and BTECH UV25X4 mobile

N5XMT

I'm about  to toss it all in the trash.
Xmit perfect.  Everyone hears me, I see myself coming thru APRSDroid on my phone when I send my position from Xastir.  I can hear very cleanly the local digi after my TX terminates.  when I hear it, the DCD LED comes on like its receiving the data properly, but nothing at all comes back thru into Xastir, not even an ACK.
Volume on the BTECH UV25X4 is about 70%.  RX level on the PITNC9k6 is set to 200, after several receives it sets anywhere between 72 and 127 in the rx(Actual) param.  Using a NEW cable from the radio headset (4 conn 3.5mm, spk, mic, PTT and gnd.
I have used the V11 firmware for the Teensy3.6, the V11 firmware, I have used Kissattach and set it to AX25 TNC, used i2ckiss and symlinked it, and used KISS TNC over serial direct to /dev/serial0.  There has to be something I am doing wrong or missing somewhere.
My Current Params:

pi@hampi:~/pitnc ./pitnc_getparams 1 30.1
pitnc_getparams Version 0.0.0.5

   TNC Software Version           6
01 TXDelay - Zero means use ADC  40
02 Persistance                   63
03 Slottime (in 10 mS)           20
04 TXTail                        30
05 Full Duplex - Not used         0
06 Our Channel (Hex)             00
07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   00
08 Mode Speed                  1200
09 RX Level (Config)            200
10 TX Level                     255
11 RX Level (Actual)             72
13 Centre Freq                 1700
8 6 28 3f 14 1e 0 0 0 c c8 ff 48 aa ca c0 sum 0

Any and all help appreciated

Mat Murdock

Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

N5XMT

There are a couple nearby, and have access to 4 windows computers here!

On Jun 16, 2020, at 22:49, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

mathison ott

Used xastir for a long while... But had to move over to YAAC. Its stable and just works! Im not saying that its the software, but it sure did help.

Try turning the af down! You could be overdriving the rx circut voltage on the tnc. Never needed to cranck the rx.  Could there be a ground loop in your system?  I dont know the radio, but i use a ic208h and i dont use the normal mic port, i use the packet port to patch the tnc in bypass the mic af filtering. I would think you need to patch in to the back of the radio not thru the front.

73 kj6dzb-4

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020, 10:49 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

Mat Murdock

Ok, download and flash the stand alone firmware to you tnc.  It should show up as a com port on your computer now.  Start up Winlink Express and start a packet session.  Configure you TNC settings as show below.

image.png

Try connecting to a local node.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to send a clear picture of the top of your TNC to verify everything is in order.

Mat

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020, 12:17 AM N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:
There are a couple nearby, and have access to 4 windows computers here!

On Jun 16, 2020, at 22:49, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

N5XMT

This one is patched in thru the back port for packet.  Brand new cable etc...

On Jun 16, 2020, at 23:31, mathison ott <mathisono@...> wrote:
Used xastir for a long while... But had to move over to YAAC. Its stable and just works! Im not saying that its the software, but it sure did help.

Try turning the af down! You could be overdriving the rx circut voltage on the tnc. Never needed to cranck the rx.  Could there be a ground loop in your system?  I dont know the radio, but i use a ic208h and i dont use the normal mic port, i use the packet port to patch the tnc in bypass the mic af filtering. I would think you need to patch in to the back of the radio not thru the front.

73 kj6dzb-4

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020, 10:49 PM Mat Murdock < mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

N5XMT

Here is a shot of the top of the TNC.
I'll try the winlink in the AM.

On Jun 16, 2020, at 23:31, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Ok, download and flash the stand alone firmware to you tnc.  It should show up as a com port on your computer now.  Start up Winlink Express and start a packet session.  Configure you TNC settings as show below.

Try connecting to a local node.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to send a clear picture of the top of your TNC to verify everything is in order.

Mat

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020, 12:17 AM N5XMT < dacooley@...> wrote:
There are a couple nearby, and have access to 4 windows computers here!

On Jun 16, 2020, at 22:49, Mat Murdock < mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

N5XMT

Sorry... Here is the picture...

On Jun 16, 2020, at 23:53, "N5XMT via groups.io" <gmail.com@groups.io target=_blank>dacooley=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Making sure it would talk to the TNC, no radio connected.  Should ptt and dcd both come on with no input to the PiTNC?  Here is a short vid...

On Jun 16, 2020, at 23:31, Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Ok, download and flash the stand alone firmware to you tnc.  It should show up as a com port on your computer now.  Start up Winlink Express and start a packet session.  Configure you TNC settings as show below.

Try connecting to a local node.

Also, it would probably be a good idea to send a clear picture of the top of your TNC to verify everything is in order.

Mat

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020, 12:17 AM N5XMT < dacooley@...> wrote:
There are a couple nearby, and have access to 4 windows computers here!

On Jun 16, 2020, at 22:49, Mat Murdock < mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

John Wiseman

Unless you have changed the config the TNC will respond to i2c management requests (ie i2c_getparams) but data will only be accessible over the serial port, not i2c.

If you connect the USB port to a computer (either Windows or Linux) and run a terminal program on the USB serial port (I use putty) you should see monitoring and debugging information. In particular you will see a message every time it received a packet. If you see that, but don't see anything on the serial port (normally /dev/serial0, 19200) then there is something wrong with the serial port itself or the jumper settings, although if you can transmit that is less likely. Try with just a terminal program - the packets will look a bit odd, but will at least confirm data is getting through. If you see packets on a terminal but not in your application then there is something wrong with the application config.

On the monitor you should be seeing something like

Input peaks = -22904, 22486
DCD: on
RX Packet Len = 17 Good CRC
DCD: off
DCD: on
RX Packet Len = 17 Good CRC
DCD: off
Input peaks = -30835, 32004

Input levels should be at least +-20000 and below +-32767. If not you need to investigate the RX level setting and radio connection.

73,
John G8BPQ

On Jun 17, 2020, at 00:40, "N5XMT via groups.io" <gmail.com@groups.io target=_blank>dacooley=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Brian Webster

Is the device actually on devSerial0? From the video and description of the problem I would check that setting first. In Linux I thought the first serial port was ttyS0.

If that is not the issue I would back the receive audio way down. Most times you can get away with much less than 50%, 25% from my experience works well. Too hot and the audio gets distorted and the TNC can’t decode it. Remember is trying to detect 2 different audio tones to convert to digital, too hot audio can make it difficult to distinguish the difference in the tones. I good method of tuning for receive audio is to turn the volume down to nothing, then move up until the DCD light starts to flicker when you know there are packets on the air.

Another thing to check would be the port settings on Xastir. The serial connection speeds can be different than the on air speed. The TNC and Xastir need to match. This is probably not the case for you if your transmitted packets are being decoded.

One last thing to check would be your squelch setting on the radio. I have had very bad luck using cheap Chinese radios for connected packet, mostly because the recovery time of the receiver is not fast enough compared to other radios, so what happens is the first part of the packet is not received. It’s one thing to hear a packet and see the DCD light, quite another to hear the whole packet without errors. In connected packet you can kind of hear it because you would hear a lot of retries, APRS is unconnected packet (outside of messages) so there is no error checking and acknowledgement (ack’s) packets sent. Think of APRS as UDP vs connected packet as TCPIP. One is just a broadcast protocol and if you get the packet you get it, no retries.

If you have a local connected packet network you can try not on the APRS frequency, move over to it, use the terminal window and try connecting to a local packet station and see if you are getting a lot of retries.

One other thing to consider, on some radios there are different connection points for receive audio for 1200 baud vs 9600 baud TNC’s, 9600 needs discriminator audio and 1200 baud uses regular speaker audio. If you are hooked to the discriminator audio point, 1200 baud APRS packets are likely not going to work. If you are using VOX to key the radio it is also quite possible you have that set so that the other packets are coming in before your radio has fully unkeyed. To test that just turn Vox off and set the radio to decode packets without trying to transmit.

Brian N2KGC

[...]

Connected to the rear panel "headphone" out.  Has mic-in, spk out and PTT
Was looking at Johns debug info he gave and opened a terminal on the USB.  lots of DCD on and off without even a signal, and when packets are detected I am getting a CRC error on all of them.  and not using VOX.  learned a long time ago that doesn't work on most radios LOL.
May have to break down and look at surplus... Most solid Packet/APRS xceiver I have ever had was an old Motorola Micor I converted to 2M

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 8:59 AM Brian Webster via groups.io <radiowebst=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

There are 6 winlink nodes listed within 10 miles of me, the closest 2 are only 2 miles away.  I have been monitoring the freq's most of the day and attempted connection to all of them.  I have heard 0 traffic all day on any of them.  so no connection.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:49 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

Mark Griffith

I can't count the number of people that have contacted me about packet problems only to find out they are using a Baofeng radio.  These are just not good radios for digital modes.  If you want something that works reliably, get a better radio, or you can continue to be frustrated.

My 2 cents.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 8:24:52 PM CDT, N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:

There are 6 winlink nodes listed within 10 miles of me, the closest 2 are only 2 miles away.  I have been monitoring the freq's most of the day and attempted connection to all of them.  I have heard 0 traffic all day on any of them.  so no connection.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:49 PM Mat Murdock <mat.murdock@...> wrote:
Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a Windows computer?

Mat

N5XMT

maybe the people that bash the inexpensive radios should buy me one then.  Not all of us have 400-500 buchs to throw into a rig.
How about a little less self rightousness?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 6:32 PM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Kevin k5vp

I don't know Mark.  But, I think he's trying to say the Baofeng is built to pass voice traffic.  It may not be the best candidate to pass data (square wave) audio.

At some point, swapfests will open & there should be used radios available a lot less than the price range you have mentioned.  Example?  I picked up an FT-8800 for $200.  It is built to handle packet.

k5vp

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 6:41 PM N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:
[...]

Kevin Potter
k5vp

Mark Griffith

Hey, let's not start name calling here.  There is no reason to make this personal.  You want to enter a Formula One race, but you can only afford a Fiat 500, well, you won't have a chance.  I'm just stating a fact.  No amount of wishing or name calling is going to make it better for you.

That being said, I have two Baofeng radios, and they can be made to work with a lot of frustration and trouble.  But, if you want any kind of reliability, get a better radio.  There are lots of used radios on eBay that can do the job for lots less than $400.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 8:41:28 PM CDT, N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:

[...]

Ray Wells

It's not bashing, it's the honest truth. Those cheap radios are crap for
most things but worse for digtal, and I own one that has been shelf
decoration for three years. You get what you pay for.

With my Baofeng, even running open mute to overcome the horrendous mute
release time wouldn't allow me to use it for packet.

Experienced people here are trying to help you, not put you down.

Ray vk2tv

<http://groups.io> <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io

<mat.murdock@... <mailto:mat.murdock@...>> wrote:

Is there a Winlink node in your area?  Do you have access to a
Windows computer?

Mat

N5XMT

There was no name calling.