Topics

PiGate possible with TNC-Pi9k6 and BF HT?

Jeffry Isaacson

I've built a PiGate following Mark Griffith's excellent instructions and thought I'd take a shot to see if a BF-F8HP was capable of connecting with local RMS stations. So far I am unable to connect (time out errors in the log file) though I hear packets being sent... Does it require particular TNC settings (ie transmit voltage) or radio settings? Or am I just being silly in trying with a cheap 8 W radio and a modest antenna?
     Thanks in advance,
       Jeff KN6JSI

N3RDR

OMG. What a heated discussion your question can bring. There’s a group that feels those radios do not belong in the US, others feel that it can work with lots of effort, others have no issues with them.

I use a Pigate with an UV-5RE+. Adjust de levels as recommended by the documentation, stick to 1200 baud. Keep the radio volume very low. I keep the volume at the first hint of being able to hear it.

Carlos
N3RDR

N3RDR

Edited

Forgot to mention, make sure the beeps are off. Menu 8 and 39 on my radio. For the longest time mine did not work because one beep remained on (39).

The other thing I ended up doing for all radios, keep the antenna away from the computer. I use a two band mag mount for my gobag. My HP laptop freezes when any 2m radio transmits close to it (BF or otherwise). Some users have reported similar issues with their Pis.

Carlos
N3RDR

Mark Griffith

If you like being frustrated, keep trying.  :)  I don't know how many people have come to me to get these radios to work, and nearly all have given up and bought a better radio.

It *is* possible, but these radios just are not designed for digital and many times just won't work.  I have two that I have experimented with.  One works OK, the other just sometimes refuses to work for no reason.

As has been mentioned, turnoff everything in the menu system that can be turned off, and set everything that has a value to zero.  Then perhaps it will work.  Eventually you will buy a decent radio and the world of packet communications will open up to you.

Good luck!

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, July 13, 2020, 12:28:25 AM CDT, Jeffry Isaacson <jsisaacson@...> wrote:

I've built a PiGate following Mark Griffith's excellent instructions and thought I'd take a shot to see if a BF-F8HP was capable of connecting with local RMS stations. So far I am unable to connect (time out errors in the log file) though I hear packets being sent... Does it require particular TNC settings (ie transmit voltage) or radio settings? Or am I just being silly in trying with a cheap 8 W radio and a modest antenna?
     Thanks in advance,
       Jeff KN6JSI

Jeffry Isaacson

Thanks Carlos and Mark for the good advice! I figured getting these HTs to work would be a near impossible challenge, but I had them laying around and thought it was worth trying (I’m a new Ham  and find packet radio, APRS, TNC kits, RPi-based radio incredibly fun). Out of curiosity, are there particular  2M radios you prefer for packet?

      Jeff KN6JSI

Mark Griffith

Any of the radios that have a dedicated packet port in the back.  I don't know how you would find them except look at radio images from the different manufacturer web sites and look at the rear view.

I have a list of older radios, but have not updated it in a few years.

I have two FT-7900 radios from Yaesu which work pretty well.  Some of the Kenwood radios work pretty well too.

The real metric to look at is the Bit Error Rate (BER), but you can only find this from the ARRL product views in QST, or online at the ARRL site.  The lower the BER, the better.  A BER of <5x10-5 (less than 5 errors in 100,000 bits) would be excellent.

This radios also work great for voice and by using the packet data port, the speaker and mic are still available.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, July 13, 2020, 8:26:29 AM CDT, Jeffry Isaacson <jsisaacson@...> wrote:

Thanks Carlos and Mark for the good advice! I figured getting these HTs to work would be a near impossible challenge, but I had them laying around and thought it was worth trying (I’m a new Ham  and find packet radio, APRS, TNC kits, RPi-based radio incredibly fun). Out of curiosity, are there particular  2M radios you prefer for packet?

      Jeff KN6JSI

HRO generally has one or two single band radios available at a reasonable price:

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362

Any of the radios that have a dedicated packet port in the back.
For a list of radios with the mini-din data port:

https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/3574

The TH-V71 is currently the best off the shelf radio for packet you're
willing to invest a bit more.

Bill

Jeffry Isaacson

Thanks, Bill--just the info I was looking for!

David Ranch

I wanted to really like this list until it mentioned:
--

Others -

  • Wouxun HTs
  • Baofeng HTs
--

I think we've all seen the "exciting" threads recently here on this list about consistent reliability or lack there of with Baofeng radios.  I don't know if Wouxun radios are any better.

On 07/13/2020 12:37 PM, Bill Vodall wrote:
HRO generally has one or two single band radios available at a reasonable price:

 https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362

Any of the radios that have a dedicated packet port in the back.
For a list of radios with the mini-din data port:

  https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/3574

The TH-V71 is currently the best off the shelf radio for packet you're
willing to invest a bit more.

Bill

Robert Hanson

We have over 20 Alinco DR-135 radios in 24x7 packet service in our county EOCs. Very few failures. Simple to run and fairly inexpensive to buy.

73
W6RH

Mark Griffith

Bill,

This is a handy list.  Thanks for posting!

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, July 13, 2020, 2:39:51 PM CDT, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

HRO generally has one or two single band radios available at a reasonable price:

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362

> Any of the radios that have a dedicated packet port in the back.

For a list of radios with the mini-din data port:

  https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/3574

The TH-V71 is currently the best off the shelf radio for packet you're
willing to invest a bit more.

Bill

Mark Griffith

There are two radios made by Baofeng, the Baofeng and the Pofung.  Same radio, same company, just a different name.  I have one of each.

I asked a Chinese friend of mine what Baofeng and Pofung mean in Chinese.  He didn't understand my question, and he said they mean the same.  As it turns out, Baofeng loosely translates to "storm" and Pofung loosely translates to "tempest", or "tornado" and "twister", so it is just a different word meaning the same thing.

However, I wouldn't use either one in an EMCOMM situation if the smoke signals were working.

Mark
KD0QYN