Topics

PI-TNC Configure issue with LINBPQ and Bluetooth

dan@...

Hello all.  I have an RPI4 and one pi tnc a second is on the way.  I want to probably use BPQ for lack of software that already exists in the PC world.  I want to be able to use the PI as a crosswind digipeater and access to win link BUT i don't want to lose Bluetooth.  I also have a Mobilinkd TNC that uses bluetooth and my mini keyboard that also uses bluetooth.

Is this do able?

Dan
KE6NYT

Todd Kolmodin <n7try.or@...>

Hi Dan,
I think  it is possible.  What are you digipeating? APRS?  I have a Pi3 with 2 stacked TNC-Pis utilizing the I2C bus.  G8BPQ (Pilinbpq) supports the use of the I2C bus which allows multiple TNCs to be stacked on the header.  In the bpq32.cfg you can add the APRSDigi section that allows the digipeating on either the same port OR across another port and vice versa.  None of this interferes with BlueTooth or WiFi on the PI. You can even configure a BPQEther port in the bpq32.cfg to access another BPQ switch on your WIFI Lan.  I've done this to port to a Windows BPQ switch that is running Winmor and provides the Winlink portal for HF and CMS.  Hopefully I understood your question correctly and this may help.
73, Todd - N7TRY

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:44 PM <dan@...> wrote:
Hello all.  I have an RPI4 and one pi tnc a second is on the way.  I want to probably use BPQ for lack of software that already exists in the PC world.  I want to be able to use the PI as a crosswind digipeater and access to win link BUT i don't want to lose Bluetooth.  I also have a Mobilinkd TNC that uses bluetooth and my mini keyboard that also uses bluetooth.

Is this do able?

Dan
KE6NYT

dan@...

Thanks Todd. It does help. I’m new to the pi world (<3 weeks).  It digipeating APRS. Digipeating packet messages usually with bib numbers as we track 150+ runners on an ultra marathon 100 mile running race in the mountains of Cali. We use Outpost PM software to send email type messages with runner bib number reports. Because of the mountains we have to hike up out of the canyon that net control is in and place a digipeater to be able to hit the nine aid stations. I’d rather do it with a pi and tnc pi then a kpc3!  I was trying to use the bpq-config program and it was requiring me to disable Bluetooth and I don’t want to. I don’t know if I know enough Linux to do my own bpq.cfg file to set all that up. 

But from what you wrote it is doable I just need to figure out how. 

Thanks
Dan
KE6NYT 

John Wiseman

Dan,

There is a lot of out of date and therefore misleading information about
configuring the Pi to use a TNC-Pi or indeed anything on the Pi serial port.
Don’t use bpq-config. It is an easy way to get a bpq system up, but it not
correct about serial port handling. You may get away with it if you say you
aren’t using a TNC-Pi and add that to the config later. There are some
installation scripts on my bpq32/linbpq website
(http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32.html).

This problem arose when Pi models with Bluetooth were introduced. The system
originally uses the main serial port /dev/ttyAMA0 for Bluetooth and assigned
the second serial port /dev/ttyS0 to the Pi Header. This meant that which
port you had to use depended on the model of Pi you were using. This lead to
a lot of confusion and a lot of hacks were published, some of which disabled
Bluetooth and some moved it to the other port.

The Pi team realised their mistake, and for the past couple of years the
system creates a symbolic link (think alias if you are not familiar with
Linux terminology) /dev/serial0 to whichever port is assigned to the Pi
Header. So applications can use /dev/serial0 for any model of Pi.

By default the serial port is allocated as a console device. To make it
available for application use you need to run raspi-config, Interfacing
Options, Serial to Disable Login Shell and Enable the Serial Port. Many of
the installation instructions for the TNC talk about editing files
cmdline.txt and config.txt. This is no longer necessary, and the suggested
changes are likely to break things.

Sorry for the rather long response but without the background the reason for
ignoring much of the documentation isn't clear.

John G8BPQ
(Designer of TNC-Pi)

Sent: 11 December 2019 00:16
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] PI-TNC Configure issue with LINBPQ and
Bluetooth

Thanks Todd. It does help. I’m new to the pi world (<3 weeks).  It
digipeating APRS. Digipeating packet messages usually with bib numbers as we
track 150+ runners on an ultra marathon 100 mile running race in the
mountains of Cali. We use Outpost PM software to send email type messages
with runner bib number reports. Because of the mountains we have to hike up
out of the canyon that net control is in and place a digipeater to be able
to hit the nine aid stations. I’d rather do it with a pi and tnc pi then a
kpc3!  I was trying to use the bpq-config program and it was requiring me to
disable Bluetooth and I don’t want to. I don’t know if I know enough Linux
to do my own bpq.cfg file to set all that up. 

But from what you wrote it is doable I just need to figure out how. 

Thanks
Dan
KE6NYT

David Ranch

Hello John, Everyone,

Good morning..

Many of the guides out there (including mine) disable bluetooth to give the GPIO-connected serial port access to the hardware UART.  This is required as the secondary serial port that the serial port was getting connected to is variably timed and thus is not very reliable for heavier traffic on the serial port.  Here is an extensive thread on the topic:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=138223

This is true only if the serial port is enabled via raspi-config or the user adds "enable_uart=1" in /boot/config.txt.  Once that's done, you'd see the following for a system that has bluetooth and console serial enabled:
--
# ls -la /dev | grep serial
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root          80 Dec 11 07:45 serial
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           5 Dec 11 07:45 serial0 -> ttyS0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           7 Dec 11 07:45 serial1 -> ttyAMA
--
If the serial port isn't enabled (even without console services), the symlink for the Bluetooth side won't be created either

Many of the installation instructions for the TNC talk about editing files

While I agree that using raspi-config is user friendly, it's only a GUI tool to set the correct parameters in various /boot config files.  There is no magic here but yes, over time, config files can change so the user will need to adapt if things are changed. 

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan Dicke

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Dec 11, 2019, at 09:37, Dan Dicke Electric <res0xgcr@...> wrote:

<image0.jpeg>
As you can see I have the serial addresses ttyS0 and ttyAMA0. I currently have one pi-tnc 2 on my pi 4 and the second one coming probably Saturday to stack on top. After putting the tnc together I tested it and got good tones heard out through my mobile radio on another radio and my yellow DCD light comes on when receiving packet clusters so the tnc appears to be working. But I don’t have any connection to Pat winlink to it because I obviously don’t have something set correctly. I was an ADA software engineer for 11 years but that was 20 years ago. Never wanted to get near Linux and now I need to. Hehe

I don’t have bpq installed, tried and messed everything up using the bpq-config which I now know not to use, which lost my Bluetooth capabilities. So I, fortunately, had backed up my sad card before doing that so I reverted back to the previous ver and got my Bluetooth back

So going forward I believe that I need to use i2c to connect two tnc-pi’s. 

So I guess next step is to try to get bpq installed and working with one tnc without losing Bluetooth 

Dan
KE6NYT 

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Dec 11, 2019, at 08:07, David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

Hello John, Everyone,

Good morning..

Many of the guides out there (including mine) disable bluetooth to give the GPIO-connected serial port access to the hardware UART.  This is required as the secondary serial port that the serial port was getting connected to is variably timed and thus is not very reliable for heavier traffic on the serial port.  Here is an extensive thread on the topic:

This is true only if the serial port is enabled via raspi-config or the user adds "enable_uart=1" in /boot/config.txt.  Once that's done, you'd see the following for a system that has bluetooth and console serial enabled:
--
--
If the serial port isn't enabled (even without console services), the symlink for the Bluetooth side won't be created either

While I agree that using raspi-config is user friendly, it's only a GUI tool to set the correct parameters in various /boot config files.  There is no magic here but yes, over time, config files can change so the user will need to adapt if things are changed. 

--David
KI6ZHD

John Wiseman

Dan,

The normal way to add a second TNC-pi is to use i2c. But the Pi4 has an extra 4 serial ports that can be enabled if needed so you cold use one of those. The downside is that you can't just stack it on top of the original - you'd have to connect with jumper wires.

John

On 11/12/2019 17:44, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

<image0.jpeg>
As you can see I have the serial addresses ttyS0 and ttyAMA0. I currently have one pi-tnc 2 on my pi 4 and the second one coming probably Saturday to stack on top. After putting the tnc together I tested it and got good tones heard out through my mobile radio on another radio and my yellow DCD light comes on when receiving packet clusters so the tnc appears to be working. But I don’t have any connection to Pat winlink to it because I obviously don’t have something set correctly. I was an ADA software engineer for 11 years but that was 20 years ago. Never wanted to get near Linux and now I need to. Hehe

I don’t have bpq installed, tried and messed everything up using the bpq-config which I now know not to use, which lost my Bluetooth capabilities. So I, fortunately, had backed up my sad card before doing that so I reverted back to the previous ver and got my Bluetooth back

So I guess next step is to try to get bpq installed and working with one tnc without losing Bluetooth 

Dan
KE6NYT 

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

Hello John, Everyone,

Good morning..

--
--

--David
KI6ZHD

David Ranch

Hey John,

Oh, this is great news and I hadn't heard of this until now.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I've found a bit more here on a post on the Official Rpi forums:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244827

Seems there are some caveats to using these new UARTS as they can take over other important pins used for say I2C-0, I2S, etc.

It's interesting that the official UART details on the Rpi <=3 doesn't include this detail yet:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/uart.md

--David
KI6ZHD

On 12/14/2019 01:57 AM, John Wiseman wrote:
Dan,

The normal way to add a second TNC-pi is to use i2c. But the Pi4 has an extra 4 serial ports that can be enabled if needed so you cold use one of those. The downside is that you can't just stack it on top of the original - you'd have to connect with jumper wires.

John

John Wiseman

David,

Yes, documentation is a bit sparse. As there are no spare pins you need to decide which devices you don't need before enabling any of the new Pi 4 ports.

John

On 14/12/2019 17:21, David Ranch wrote:

Hey John,

Oh, this is great news and I hadn't heard of this until now.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I've found a bit more here on a post on the Official Rpi forums:

Seems there are some caveats to using these new UARTS as they can take over other important pins used for say I2C-0, I2S, etc.

It's interesting that the official UART details on the Rpi <=3 doesn't include this detail yet:

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan,

John

Max

Time for an updated TNC-Pi. I think there is a conflict on one of those ports preventing its use.

Max KG4PID

On Saturday, December 14, 2019, 03:57:40 AM CST, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

Dan,

John

On 11/12/2019 17:44, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

<image0.jpeg>

Dan
KE6NYT 

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

Hello John, Everyone,

Good morning..

--
--

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan Dicke

John and group:
Well i’ve come a long way in 4 days, or at least I think so.  I now have two Pi-TNC boards mounted on my rip 4 and they work sending tones and receiving and I have them addressed as I2C1 3 and 4.  I found a bpq32.cfg file close to what I want written by Fred/PA8F.  he has 1 AX/IP/UDP (no idea what that is), 1 Telnet port that I want to use for Mesh net, 2 PI-TNCs, and 2 KISS TNCs.

I took out AX/IP/UDP and the 2 KISS TNC USB ports.

I want to use the 2 PI-TNCs and the Telnet port for Mesh net.

SO i am running, i think, linbpq on my rip 4:
Initializing of Port 02 Telnet Sever
Initializing Port 03 I2C Bus 1 Addr 3 chan A
Initializing Port 04 I2C Bus 1 Addr 4 chan A
starting Mail
config file linmail.cfg
config processed
config file WP.cfg line 0 - file I/O error Which makes sense because the file doesn’t exist nor do I knoww what it is for maybe AWG which Im not using
mail started

now what?  How do I get the GUI screens?  Ive gone to 192.168.1.30:5000 and I get Pt Winlink.

How do I get the BPQ GUI Screens?

Dan
KE6NYT

On Dec 14, 2019, at 11:03 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

David,

Yes, documentation is a bit sparse. As there are no spare pins you need to decide which devices you don't need before enabling any of the new Pi 4 ports.

John

Hey John,

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan,

John

John Wiseman

Dan,

To access the Web Management/Webmail interface connect to the port specified in HTTPPORT in the Telnet Server Configuration.

Although you can use i2c for both ports it will work slightly better if you run one as serial and the other i2c. If possible use serial for the busier port.

AX/IP/UDP is used to link Nodes over the internet or your Mesh.

WP is a sort of address database for BBS users. It should be created when the first user connects to the BBS, but the message is just a warning.

John

On 19/12/2019 19:07, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:
John and group:
Well i’ve come a long way in 4 days, or at least I think so.  I now have two Pi-TNC boards mounted on my rip 4 and they work sending tones and receiving and I have them addressed as I2C1 3 and 4.  I found a bpq32.cfg file close to what I want written by Fred/PA8F.  he has 1 AX/IP/UDP (no idea what that is), 1 Telnet port that I want to use for Mesh net, 2 PI-TNCs, and 2 KISS TNCs.

starting Mail
config file linmail.cfg
config processed
config file WP.cfg line 0 - file I/O error Which makes sense because the file doesn’t exist nor do I knoww what it is for maybe AWG which Im not using
mail started

now what?  How do I get the GUI screens?  Ive gone to 192.168.1.30:5000 and I get Pt Winlink.

Dan
KE6NYT

David,

John

Hey John,

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan,

John

Dan Dicke

I figured out the password location. Sorry about that

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Dec 19, 2019, at 12:12, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

Dan,

To access the Web Management/Webmail interface connect to the port specified in HTTPPORT in the Telnet Server Configuration.

Although you can use i2c for both ports it will work slightly better if you run one as serial and the other i2c. If possible use serial for the busier port.

AX/IP/UDP is used to link Nodes over the internet or your Mesh.

WP is a sort of address database for BBS users. It should be created when the first user connects to the BBS, but the message is just a warning.

John

On 19/12/2019 19:07, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:
John and group:

starting Mail
config file linmail.cfg
config processed
mail started

Dan
KE6NYT

David,

John

Hey John,

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan,

John

Dan Dicke

Ok I’m trying to send a test message from BPQ to dan@...  I am addressing it sp rms:dan@....

I get an error: This system doesn’t allow sending to internet email!

What I am trying to do is send a message from BPQ through the RMS/CMS via my internet connection through win link.  What am I not setting?

Dan
KE6NYT

On Dec 19, 2019, at 11:07 AM, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:

John and group:

starting Mail
config file linmail.cfg
config processed
mail started

Dan
KE6NYT

David,

John

Hey John,

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan,

John

N3RDR

This may help

Sent from my 📲

On Dec 22, 2019, at 8:38 PM, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:

Ok I’m trying to send a test message from BPQ to dan@...  I am addressing it sp rms:dan@....

What I am trying to do is send a message from BPQ through the RMS/CMS via my internet connection through win link.  What am I not setting?

Dan
KE6NYT

John and group:

starting Mail
config file linmail.cfg
config processed
mail started

Dan
KE6NYT

David,

John

Hey John,

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan,

John

Todd Kolmodin <n7try.or@...>

Try smtp: instead of rms:
Todd

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 5:38 PM Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

What I am trying to do is send a message from BPQ through the RMS/CMS via my internet connection through win link.  What am I not setting?

Dan
KE6NYT

John and group:
Well i’ve come a long way in 4 days, or at least I think so.  I now have two Pi-TNC boards mounted on my rip 4 and they work sending tones and receiving and I have them addressed as I2C1 3 and 4.  I found a bpq32.cfg file close to what I want written by Fred/PA8F.  he has 1 AX/IP/UDP (no idea what that is), 1 Telnet port that I want to use for Mesh net, 2 PI-TNCs, and 2 KISS TNCs.

starting Mail
config file linmail.cfg
config processed
mail started

now what?  How do I get the GUI screens?  Ive gone to 192.168.1.30:5000 and I get Pt Winlink.

Dan
KE6NYT

David,

John

Hey John,

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan,

John

John Wiseman

I don't see that exact message in the source, but to forward via Winlink you need a BBS called "RMS" with forwarding set to to a CMS Server. If this isn't the problem and the message you are getting is exactly what you said can you send me the BBS log and I'll try to work out where it is coming from.

Generally you are likely to get more help from the bpq32 groups.io group rather than this one,

John G8BPQ

On 23/12/2019 01:38, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:

Dan
KE6NYT

John and group:

starting Mail
config file linmail.cfg
config processed
mail started

Dan
KE6NYT

David,

John

Hey John,

--David
KI6ZHD

Dan,

John