Topics

Pi and Rig Control without router

Grover Cleveland

Edited

I see that OH8STN uses a tablet to control his Pi which is controlling FLDIGI.
When far away from the Interweb how is he doing that? VNC connect needs a router on a LAN to accomplish this. I'm confused.
Grover K7TP

Matthew Allinson

The RPi has been configured to create its own wifi access point when it is away from regular internet/shack wifi infrastructure..  the table connects via wifi to the RPi

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:10 PM Grover Cleveland via Groups.Io <k7tp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I see that OH8STN uses a tablet to control his Pi which is controlling FLDIGI.
When far away from the Interweb how is he doing that? VNC connect needs a router on a LAN to accomplish this. I'm confused.
Grover K7TP

Matt Allinson, KG8TRS

Jonathan Magee

Hi
I think you can set up the Pi as a WiFi hotspot. The tablet can then connect directly to the pi via WiFi
73 de Jonathan ,GI7KmC

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020, 17:09 Grover Cleveland via Groups.Io, <k7tp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I see that OH8STN uses a tablet to look at his Pi which is using FLDIGI. When far away from the Intweb how is he doing that? VNC connect needs a router on a LAN to accomplish this. I'm confused.
Grover K7TP

Mike Erstad

Check out this link on making a Hotspot using your PI…

w9ran

On 2/20/2020 11:09 AM, Grover Cleveland via Groups.Io wrote:
When far away from the Interweb how is he doing that? VNC connect needs a router on a LAN to accomplish this. I'm confused.
There are multiple ways of doing this, but let me strongly encourage anyone who needs this capability to skip all the rest and follow the extremely detailed procedure described here:

https://www.raspberryconnect.com/projects/65-raspberrypi-hotspot-accesspoints/158-raspberry-pi-auto-wifi-hotspot-switch-direct-connection

Just do not cut and paste the scripts - as I discovered  the unwanted non-printing characters will mess things up in insidious ways, that's why the author posted download links which eliminate this problem.  I've installed this script on two Pi's without a hitch.

Why this script?  Because it works perfectly and is fully automatic.  Once you tell it your normal wi-fi SSID, it will log onto your LAN as long as it can, but when it can't it will automatically switches to hotspot mode and you can connect using your laptop, phone, or any other device without any special configuration other than selecting the hotspot in your wi-fi list.    When you return to your wi-fi range, it automatically switches back - no editing or rebooting needed.

This is the ideal solution for those of us who use LAN-connected services like VNC but who also need to go on the road or into the field with our connected devices.

73, Bob W9RAN

KC3CCD

I don’t know the VNC connect product but in general, VNC can be used from an intranet. Not required to be in same network. I did that in the old palm days to surf the net with a full browser from my Palm Treo.

Sent from my 📲

On Feb 20, 2020, at 12:09 PM, Grover Cleveland via Groups.Io <k7tp@...> wrote:

I see that OH8STN uses a tablet to look at his Pi which is using FLDIGI. When far away from the Intweb how is he doing that? VNC connect needs a router on a LAN to accomplish this. I'm confused.
Grover K7TP

VA3ZUK

VNC uses port 5900, 5901, etc. A DMZ or port forwarding can be added to the router and VNC becomes accessible via the internet. I would recommend a VPN like zerotier vs publicly open ports for VNC.

In conclusion, it's very possible to expose VNC to the internet.

Ash VA3ZUK

On 2020-02-20 14:38, KC3CCD wrote:
I don’t know the VNC connect product but in general, VNC can be used
from an intranet. Not required to be in same network. I did that in
the old palm days to surf the net with a full browser from my Palm
Treo.
Sent from my 📲

On Feb 20, 2020, at 12:09 PM, Grover Cleveland via Groups.Io
<k7tp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I see that OH8STN uses a tablet to look at his Pi which is using
FLDIGI. When far away from the Intweb how is he doing that? VNC
connect needs a router on a LAN to accomplish this. I'm confused.
Grover K7TP
Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/message/10283
[2] https://groups.io/mt/71432723/4357074
[3] https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/post
[4] https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/editsub/4357074
[5] https://groups.io/g/RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio/leave/defanged

Daniel Holmes

I setup my Pi to be a wifi hotspot. When I’m at the house, it plugs into my ethernet LAN, when out in the field, I connect to it’s SSID. Use VNC via my iPad with a bluetooth keyboard, and it works great.

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On 2020-02-20 14:38, KC3CCD wrote:
[...]

chuck gelm

On 2/20/20 12:09 PM, Grover Cleveland via Groups.Io wrote:
I see that OH8STN uses a tablet to look at his Pi which is using FLDIGI. When far away from the Intweb how is he doing that? VNC connect needs a router on a LAN to accomplish this. I'm confused.
Grover K7TP
When far away, yes.
Local, no.
Intweb?

km4ack

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 11:46 AM, w9ran wrote:
[...]

Bob,

The method you referenced is by far the best out there. I wrote an install script that uses the link you referenced above but does all of the mods on the pi automatically. The only difference is my script mods the IP range to be in the 10.10.*.* range. You can find the script here https://github.com/km4ack/pi-scripts/blob/master/autohotspotN-setup if your interested. It's also an option in my new build-a-pi script

73, de KM4ACK

Grover Cleveland

I discovered a marvelous site noted in the bottom of the OH8STN video on the Pi. This contains complete instructions and all the scripts you will need.
This is good because building by hand was difficult for me and the scripts solved all the problems.
Check out the YouTube videos from KM4ACK for tons of info about the Pi.

https://github.com/km4ack/pi-build

73
Grover K7TP