Topics

PI4B File Explorer Won't Open

Walter

I ran an update on my PI4B this evening Running Buster

I tried to find a version number but could not figure out where it is.

Now when I try to open the File Explorer it open for a split second and immediately closes.

How do I correct this?  It was working fine before the update.

--
In Christ, Until He Come, Perhaps Today . . .
73

Gord

Hi Walter,
I had the same problem a while ago and by entering the following command it was fixed okay:
"sudo apt full-upgrade"
I hope it works,
73
Gord

On 12/3/2019 10:56:31 PM, Walter <w9kjo@...> wrote:

I ran an update on my PI4B this evening Running Buster

I tried to find a version number but could not figure out where it is.

Now when I try to open the File Explorer it open for a split second and immediately closes.

How do I correct this?  It was working fine before the update.

--
In Christ, Until He Come, Perhaps Today . . .
73
Walter Huyck
W9KJO

Terry L. Morris

You have File Explorer on Linux? Isn't that the file manager for windows? Are trying to find the version number of the Linux kernel? Use the command

'uname -a' and don't enter the single quotes. Sample taken from my RPi:
pi@rp3-00:~ $ uname -a
Linux rp3-00 4.19.75-v7+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:45:11 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
pi@rp3-00:~ $

I think the file manager used in the Raspberry Pi GUI is Thunar. Not sure, as I mostly SSH from my Linux Mint laptop to my Raspberry Pi's that are running headless.

72 de KB8AMZ, Terry

Walter

You are right sorry for using a windows term like "file explorer"  I guess I don't know what it is called on the PI.
--
In Christ, Until He Come, Perhaps Today . . .
73
Walter Huyck
W9KJO

Walter

Thank you very much Gord that fixed it.

--
In Christ, Until He Come, Perhaps Today . . .
73
Walter Huyck
W9KJO

Gord

Hi again Walter, did you try the command line:
sudo apt full-upgrade
That might fix your problem with the file window.
73 Gord

On 12/4/2019 8:24:27 PM, Walter <w9kjo@...> wrote:

You are right sorry for using a windows term like "file explorer"  I guess I don't know what it is called on the PI.
--
In Christ, Until He Come, Perhaps Today . . .
73
Walter Huyck
W9KJO

Terry Morris

sudo apt full-upgrade
This doesn't fix the problem. It merely covers over the problem with an upgraded version.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH USA EN91hd
Linux User# 412308, Ubuntu User# 34905, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, QRP-ARCI#8855, SKCC#14195

Mark Griffith

I don't want to discourage anyone, but I'd like to point out that this discussion group is for amateur radio applications and the Raspberry Pi computers.  It's not a general discussion on Linux issues.

Not that I really care, I don't mind hitting the delete button, but I wanted to point out that there are many other forums and discussion groups that could help you more with your Linux, non-ham applications issues.  While there may be a few knowledgeable hams here, there would be more on discussion groups that are specific to Linux and the Raspbian OS.

Just my two cents.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Thursday, December 5, 2019, 9:04:12 AM CST, Terry Morris <terry.kb8amz@...> wrote:

sudo apt full-upgrade
This doesn't fix the problem. It merely covers over the problem with an upgraded version.

Terry - KB8AMZ
Brimfield Twp, OH USA EN91hd
Linux User# 412308, Ubuntu User# 34905, PCARS#78, NAQCC#6668, QRP-ARCI#8855, SKCC#14195

Terry L. Morris

Walter,
Did you run the command uname -a from the command line? This gives you the version of the kernel.

Pertaining to the file manager name. Mouse over 'Help' and left click. Scroll down to 'About' and left click. The name of the file manager will be displayed. On the Pi it is probably called Thunar file manager.

I am not clear what problem you had other than not knowing what is the version of the kernel you had before the full-upgrade. We probably won't know the real problem or ways of fixing it now.

Have a nice day...