Topics

Now that coastal Chipworks is gone

John Wiseman

The TNC-Pi code is open source. I wroteit, based on John's open source TNC-X code.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 21/04/2020 16:38, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:

Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

Willem Schreuder

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020, John Wiseman wrote:

The TNC-Pi code is open source. I wroteit, based on John's open source TNC-X code.
Thank you for doing it that way.

Dr. Willem A. Schreuder, President, Principia Mathematica
Address: 445 Union Blvd, Suite 230, Lakewood, CO 80228, USA
Tel: (303) 716-3573 Fax: (303) 716-3575
WWW: www.prinmath.com Email: Willem.Schreuder@...

N3RDR

What is the latest version available for the 9600 version and the original 1200 only (I venture to say mine is a TNC2 since the board says 2.3)? I reprogrammed to ARDOP when it was still a beta and I’m sure I need an update, particularly after reading the PiGate 2.0 documentation.

Carlos
N3RDR

On Apr 21, 2020, at 12:47 PM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

The TNC-Pi code is open source. I wroteit, based on John's open source TNC-X code.

73,
John G8BPQ

On 21/04/2020 16:38, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:

Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

Mark Griffith

My mistake.  Thanks for the correction.  I'm wrong once in awhile.  :)

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 10:54:59 AM CDT, John <coastalchip@...> wrote:

It is not accurate that MFJ bought the code.  The code belongs to John Wiseman, who, as far as I know, has been willing to provide it to folks who asked.  MFJ also makes the TNC-X, but when I wrote that code I actually had a file with it that said the code was being released under the free BSD license.  To this day the code can be found here:

The code is not only publicly available, but it is thoroughly commented to make it more understandable.  John Wiseman started with that code when creating the TNC-Pi code.  The reason to bring MFJ into this was to make sure that it would continue to be made available after I stopped producing TNC-Pi's.

John Hansen W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:

Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

John

No problem, Mark.  I think it was good to have this clarified.  I probably should have been clearer about this from the beginning.

John W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

David Ranch

I thought the PIC source code and resulting HEX binaries were freely available on Coastal Chipworks's website.  No?