Topics

Now that coastal Chipworks is gone

John Wiseman

The TNC-Pi code is open source. I wroteit, based on John's open source TNC-X code.

John G8BPQ

On 21/04/2020 16:38, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 8:17:34 AM CDT, Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:

Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.
I keep it incase mine throws a hissy fit!

Willem Schreuder

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020, John Wiseman wrote:

The TNC-Pi code is open source. I wroteit, based on John's open source TNC-X code.
Thank you for doing it that way.

================================================================
Dr. Willem A. Schreuder, President, Principia Mathematica
Address: 445 Union Blvd, Suite 230, Lakewood, CO 80228, USA
Tel: (303) 716-3573 Fax: (303) 716-3575
WWW: www.prinmath.com Email: Willem.Schreuder@...

N3RDR

What is the latest version available for the 9600 version and the original 1200 only (I venture to say mine is a TNC2 since the board says 2.3)? I reprogrammed to ARDOP when it was still a beta and I’m sure I need an update, particularly after reading the PiGate 2.0 documentation.

Carlos
N3RDR

On Apr 21, 2020, at 12:47 PM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

John G8BPQ

On 21/04/2020 16:38, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
Yeah, you have a pretty good idea that a copyright is being violated.  MFJ has bought the code.

Mark
KD0QYN

Not sure about copyright issues, but if someone has blown their TncPI,i have the hexfile.

Mark Griffith

My mistake.  Thanks for the correction.  I'm wrong once in awhile.  :)

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 10:54:59 AM CDT, John <coastalchip@...> wrote:

It is not accurate that MFJ bought the code.  The code belongs to John Wiseman, who, as far as I know, has been willing to provide it to folks who asked.  MFJ also makes the TNC-X, but when I wrote that code I actually had a file with it that said the code was being released under the free BSD license.  To this day the code can be found here:

The code is not only publicly available, but it is thoroughly commented to make it more understandable.  John Wiseman started with that code when creating the TNC-Pi code.  The reason to bring MFJ into this was to make sure that it would continue to be made available after I stopped producing TNC-Pi's.

John Hansen W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mark
KD0QYN

John

No problem, Mark.  I think it was good to have this clarified.  I probably should have been clearer about this from the beginning.

John W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 5:30 PM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My mistake.  Thanks for the correction.  I'm wrong once in awhile.  :)

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 10:54:59 AM CDT, John <coastalchip@...> wrote:

It is not accurate that MFJ bought the code.  The code belongs to John Wiseman, who, as far as I know, has been willing to provide it to folks who asked.  MFJ also makes the TNC-X, but when I wrote that code I actually had a file with it that said the code was being released under the free BSD license.  To this day the code can be found here:

The code is not only publicly available, but it is thoroughly commented to make it more understandable.  John Wiseman started with that code when creating the TNC-Pi code.  The reason to bring MFJ into this was to make sure that it would continue to be made available after I stopped producing TNC-Pi's.

John Hansen W2FS

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:38 AM Mark Griffith via groups.io <mdgriffith2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mark
KD0QYN

David Ranch

I thought the PIC source code and resulting HEX binaries were freely available on Coastal Chipworks's website.  No?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 04/21/2020 08:38 AM, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:

Mark
KD0QYN