Topics

Now that coastal Chipworks is gone

Dan Dicke
 

Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded? I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

Vince A
 

@ Dan. MFJ has clones of the TNC but raw pc boards are no more. Through-hole components are getting harder to find, hence the demise of Coastal chip works
73 Vince KD7TWW


From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> on behalf of Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 2, 2020 18:04
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io>
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Now that coastal Chipworks is gone
 
Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded?  I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone



Mark Griffith
 

All the TNC-Pi2 kits and completed boards are gone for good.  Unless you can find someone who is willing to sell you two of theirs, they are no longer available.  One of the nail in the coffin issues was the PIC chip that was programmed with the KISS software is no longer available, so this prevents anyone else from taking up where John left off.

However, work is being done to have MFJ start building and selling them, but in a slightly different format.  One of the last things John Hansen did was redesign the board to use newer chips and make them all surface mounted.  This was to make is easier to automate manufacture.

This means, no more kits.  *IF* MFJ decides to go with this, they will all be assembled and tested.  I say *IF* because John has submitted his design to MFJ but they have not yet said if they will take up building the boards.

I'm hopeful that they will start soon.  Until then, all we can do is wait.

I have experimented with Direwolf, and while it is easy to get configured, and it does work pretty well, I have found it to be unreliable and needs to be restarted or the Raspberry Pi rebooted frequently or Direwolf will just hang.  Perhaps there is more testing I can do to figure this out, but for now I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the new TNC-Pi.

Mark
KD0QYN


On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 7:04:52 PM CST, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:


Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded?  I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone


steve.stroh@...
 

It’s early days, but there’s the Nino TNC from TARPN.


On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 17:04 Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded?  I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone



--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Dan Dicke
 

Yes I talked and emailed John and heard the same. Very sad. My project works and I need the two tnc-pi’s to finish. 

But they won’t fit nice like this!!!!!!!!  MFJ won’t make them to do this!  So maybe I can find someone that wants to get rid of two however if they botched them up I don’t want someone’s headaches I have enough of my own!  Hehe

I guess I’ll just have to use one of my many KPC3 TNCs but they destroy their memory when they go into KISS mode and then the side is what I want to get away from

Thanks guys

Dan
Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 2, 2020, at 17:50, steve.stroh@... wrote:


It’s early days, but there’s the Nino TNC from TARPN.


On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 17:04 Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded?  I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone



--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Doug Henry
 

I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.

Doug VE1ZG

 

Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X   


Our packet group decided to make our own.  http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.  


Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:


I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.

Doug VE1ZG

Dan Dicke
 

Sounds like good news Doug thanks. I’m mounting these on raspberry pi’s and I now can go between bands, go to winlink, connecting through Ham Mesh AREDN Systems and back out the other pi through the (hopefully) two new tnc pi’s using the AREDN mesh Net as a backbone

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 2, 2020, at 18:13, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:


I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.

Doug VE1ZG

Dan Dicke
 

Mfj‘s tnc-x is bigger than my raspberry pi, 7” raspberry pi touch screen monitor with two Tnc pi’s mounted on the rpi all put together!  Defeats the purpose!  We already have all this functioning with a laptop, radios, KPC3 TNCs!  We are trying to make the system small and light weight for field use!

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 2, 2020, at 18:25, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X   


Our packet group decided to make our own.  http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.  


Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:


I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.

Doug VE1ZG

 

My point was that I expected them to do the same thing with the TNC PI. I expect an MFJ near clone to be a daughter card shield like the TNC PI.  I also expect it to be more expensive than coastal sold it for. But if somebody else is taking over the Coastal Chipworks business and will run it in a similar way, that would make me happy.  

The TARPN offering is almost the same size as a TNCPI. It uses a USB connector however. 

Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:35 PM, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io <res0xgcr@...> wrote:

Mfj‘s tnc-x is bigger than my raspberry pi, 7” raspberry pi touch screen monitor with two Tnc pi’s mounted on the rpi all put together!  Defeats the purpose!  We already have all this functioning with a laptop, radios, KPC3 TNCs!  We are trying to make the system small and light weight for field use!

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 2, 2020, at 18:25, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X   


Our packet group decided to make our own.  http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.  


Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:


I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.

Doug VE1ZG

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

NNNNOOOO !!!!!

This is not good.

On 2/2/2020 7:04 PM, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:
Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded? I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

Dan Dicke
 

Yes the size and that it mounts to the rpi with no wires and not taking up USB ports made the tnc pi perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 2, 2020, at 18:54, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via Groups.Io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

NNNNOOOO !!!!!

This is not good.

On 2/2/2020 7:04 PM, Dan Dicke via Groups.Io wrote:
Anyone have any info on tnc pi kits now that John at Coastal Chipworks has folded? I need two more for a project I’m doing to integrate our current county emcomm packet network through mesh net

Dan

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone


Michael WA7SKG
 

All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format, especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.

Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be fairly doable.

Michael WA7SKG


Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:

Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
Our packet group decided to make our own. http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.
Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:


I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.

Doug VE1ZG
_._,_._,_

 

The TARPN group would like to make an I2C TNC. If we do it will not be a hat or compatible with TNC-PI i2c. But it will have multiple baud rates, forward error correction, switch-controlled i2c address, and LEDs to make it obvious what is happening.
TARPN’s point is to use packet-radio to make a fun off-the-grid social-media
experience attractive to young hams, makers, and preppers.

Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

On Feb 2, 2020, at 10:12 PM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:

All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format, especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.

Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be fairly doable.

Michael WA7SKG


Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:
Interesting. I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
Our packet group decided to make our own. http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.
Tadd --- Sent from Planet X
On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:

I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.

Doug VE1ZG
_._,_._,_

Mat Murdock
 

Our Club has been selling the original design of the TNC-Pi9k6 to club members for a couple of a couple of years now.  With Coastal ChipWorks (sad) closing up shop and to help with logistics we have setup an online shop for the group.  We use the profits to fund the club instead of dues.

Anyway, here is the shop.


Resources

Mat Murdock
K2MJM 

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 8:19 PM Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
The TARPN group would like to make an I2C TNC.  If we do it will not be a hat or compatible with TNC-PI i2c.  But it will have multiple baud rates, forward error correction, switch-controlled i2c address, and LEDs to make it obvious what is happening.
TARPN’s point is to use packet-radio to make a fun off-the-grid social-media
experience attractive to young hams, makers, and preppers.

Tadd --- Sent from Planet X

> On Feb 2, 2020, at 10:12 PM, Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
>
> All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format, especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.
>
> Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be fairly doable.
>
> Michael WA7SKG
>
>
> Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:
>> Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
>> https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
>> Our packet group decided to make our own. http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
>> we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name out there.
>> Tadd --- Sent from Planet X
>>>> On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> 
>>> I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere I assume.
>>>
>>> Doug VE1ZG
>> _._,_._,_
>
>
>




David Ranch
 


Hey Mark,


All the TNC-Pi2 kits and completed boards are gone for good.  Unless you can find someone who is willing to sell you two of theirs, they are no longer available.  One of the nail in the coffin issues was the PIC chip that was programmed with the KISS software is no longer available, so this prevents anyone else from taking up where John left off.

Yes.. it's sad to see the TNC-Pi go and I imagine the new TNC-9k6 version too!  Sometimes some hacks could have been done like putting a modern surface mount PIC chip on a carrier board to make it compatible with the legacy thru-pin chip style but maybe it wasn't worth it.  The new TARPN board looks like it could be very impressive but time will tell on it's decode rates.  I also Dana K6JQ has an impressive TNC project too with decodes comparable to Direwolf... if we could all just convince him to release it!



I have experimented with Direwolf, and while it is easy to get configured, and it does work pretty well, I have found it to be unreliable and needs to be restarted or the Raspberry Pi rebooted frequently or Direwolf will just hang.  Perhaps there is more testing I can do to figure this out, but for now I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the new TNC-Pi.

Direwolf is extremely impressive on it's decode rates and I've personally found it VERY reliable.  My APRS IGate has been running for 112 days and has decoded 1.74M APRS packets so far!  Even on the rare situation of a hang, Direwolf can be made to auto-restart as well as have the entire Raspberry Pi restart if needed.  The overall solution can be made to be rock solid.

--David
KI6ZHD

David Ranch
 


Hello Matt,

This is great news!  Curious, did you ever benchmark this new TNC design for decodes compared to the original TNC-Pi?   Any better or worse numbers?

To the other user's concern, is it I2C compatible to the TNC-Pi?

--David
KI6ZHD


On 02/02/2020 08:07 PM, Mat Murdock wrote:
Our Club has been selling the original design of the TNC-Pi9k6 to club members for a couple of a couple of years now.  With Coastal ChipWorks (sad) closing up shop and to help with logistics we have setup an online shop for the group.  We use the profits to fund the club instead of dues.

Anyway, here is the shop.


Resources

Mat Murdock
K2MJM

Mat Murdock
 

I personally haven't used the I2C interface between the PI and the TNC.  I use the serial interface which works with Mark's excellent PiGate software with no additional configuration.  I have a couple TNC-X's and personally have found this TNC to work right out of the box with no additional configuration at 1200 baud.

Being an open source project, I think it would be cool to get a few more people hacking on the software.  The most I have done is to get one of the LED's to stay on to indicate power and to have it cycle through all the LEDs when it is initially plugged in so I know they are working.  ;)

Mat


On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 9:43 PM David Ranch <rpi4hamradio-groupsio@...> wrote:

Hello Matt,

This is great news!  Curious, did you ever benchmark this new TNC design for decodes compared to the original TNC-Pi?   Any better or worse numbers?

To the other user's concern, is it I2C compatible to the TNC-Pi?

--David
KI6ZHD


On 02/02/2020 08:07 PM, Mat Murdock wrote:
Our Club has been selling the original design of the TNC-Pi9k6 to club members for a couple of a couple of years now.  With Coastal ChipWorks (sad) closing up shop and to help with logistics we have setup an online shop for the group.  We use the profits to fund the club instead of dues.

Anyway, here is the shop.


Resources

Mat Murdock
K2MJM

 

If you want a HAT solution, look at NW Digital Radio's DRAWS™ HAT. 


On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, 19:12 Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For
those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of
luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the
TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format,
especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.

Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open
Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is
freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a
redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be
fairly doable.

Michael WA7SKG


Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:
> Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at
> a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
>
> https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
>
> Our packet group decided to make our own.
> http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
> we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name
> out there.
>
>
> Tadd --- Sent from Planet X
>
>> On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
>>
>> 
>> I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and
>> new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere
>> I assume.
>>
>> Doug VE1ZG
> _._,_._,_



Dan Dicke
 

John Hayes I already have $160 KPC3 tnc. I stay with the tnc pi at $40

Dan Dicke Electric
Sent via IPhone

On Feb 2, 2020, at 21:04, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:


If you want a HAT solution, look at NW Digital Radio's DRAWS™ HAT. 

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020, 19:12 Michael WA7SKG <wa7skg@...> wrote:
All fine and good for those interested in the TNC-X replacement. For
those interested in a TNC-Pi replacement, it looks like you are out of
luck. Personally, I think that is very sad. From what I have seen, the
TNC-Pi far outsold the TNC-X. The convenience of the HAT format,
especially for mobile and portable use was a huge feature point for me.

Hopefully, someone will realize the market and pick it up. As an Open
Source project, there is no concern for licensing and everything is
freely available to copy. Granted the board will need a bit of a
redesign to accommodate surface mount components, but that should be
fairly doable.

Michael WA7SKG


Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io wrote on 2/2/20 6:25 PM:
> Interesting.  I heard MFJ was going to take the designs and sell them at
> a higher price. see MFJ’s version of TNC-X
>
> https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1270X
>
> Our packet group decided to make our own.
> http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html
> we intend to deliver for cost to support packet radio and get our name
> out there.
>
>
> Tadd --- Sent from Planet X
>
>> On Feb 2, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
>>
>> 
>> I spoke to John last week. He said someone is taking over his firm and
>> new units should be available in March. They will advertise somewhere
>> I assume.
>>
>> Doug VE1ZG