Topics

None of my Pi's are showing on network _ HELP

Grover Cleveland

I need your help, Pi gurus.
After I changed my router none of the PI's that I use for Ham Radio show up.
I know what you are about to say - you have to change the settings for the network.
Here's what I have done without luck:
  1. Reinstalled the images to micro sd cards
  2. Changed the wpa_supplicant file to the appropriate settings
  3. Created the blank ssh file
  4. Installed the SD cards and rebooted each device
  5. Ran an ip scanner
  6. Connected an ethernet cable to my pc from the devices.
  7. Connected the Pi's directly to the router with Ethernet

Nada. - nothing

The PI's are 3B, 4 (4gb), and a jumbospot.
Thanks in advance
K7TP

Mark Griffith

Well, you may have unintentionally opened a big can or worms.

When you say you "changed my router", what exactly did you change?

What operating system (OS) software are you installing on the Raspberry Pi?  Raspbian Buster I hope.

If you have installed a standard version of Raspbian, and are connecting to your network with Ethernet cables, then there is nothing that you need to do.  If you are trying to use WiFi, then you just need to modify one file and it should connect.

The issue is what did you do to the router?  Make changes in DHCP?  SSID name?  Password?

Mark
KD0QYN

On Sunday, August 30, 2020, 11:06:52 AM CDT, Grover Cleveland via groups.io <k7tp@...> wrote:

I need your help, Pi gurus.
After I changed my router none of the PI's that I use for Ham Radio show up.
I know what you are about to say - you have to change the settings for the network.
Here's what I have done without luck:
  1. Reinstalled the images to micro sd cards
  2. Changed the wpa_supplicant file to the appropriate settings
  3. Created the blank ssh file
  4. Installed the SD cards and rebooted each device
  5. Ran an ip scanner
  6. Connected an ethernet cable to my pc from the devices.
  7. Connected the Pi's directly to the router with Ethernet

Nada. - nothing

The PI's are 3B, 4 (4gb), and a jumbospot.
Thanks in advance
K7TP

David Ranch

Hello K7TP,

If I was to guess, I'm thinking DHCP isn't working on your router.  I believe you're saying that your Raspberry Pi's won't get a DHCP lease from your router when using wired Ethernet or won't associate (and get a DHCP lease) when trying to connect to your router via Wifi?   When you run commands like the following, what do you see?

   sudo systemctl restart dhcpcd
   sudo journalctl | tail --lines=100

On 08/30/2020 09:06 AM, Grover Cleveland via groups.io wrote:
I need your help, Pi gurus.
After I changed my router none of the PI's that I use for Ham Radio show up.
I know what you are about to say - you have to change the settings for the network.
Here's what I have done without luck:
  1. Reinstalled the images to micro sd cards
  2. Changed the wpa_supplicant file to the appropriate settings
  3. Created the blank ssh file
  4. Installed the SD cards and rebooted each device
  5. Ran an ip scanner
  6. Connected an ethernet cable to my pc from the devices.
  7. Connected the Pi's directly to the router with Ethernet

Nada. - nothing

The PI's are 3B, 4 (4gb), and a jumbospot.
Thanks in advance
K7TP

shulerb

Internet Backbone issues with QUEST this morning
Restored about 11:30 am edt

[...]

Marty Hartwell

Hi

Another way to hear that is, you changed you ISP or the old router needed to be

changed out with another one.So I agree we need more information.

Marty kd8bj

On 8/30/20 11:55 AM, Mark Griffith via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Edited

Here is just one part of the issue:
The router was not physically changed but the names and passwords for the WiFi were.
The router's dhcp is working fine with everything else on the network.
With the new and correct supplicant information, no wifi comes up.
At the moment, with the ethernet connected directly to the router, the pi does not seem to bring it up on the network

Appreciating all your help folks.

N5XMT

Doesn't make much sense if a clean install or Ethernet connection doesn't show up.  Is the PC You are using still on the old subnet so it can't see anything on the router?  Is WiFi enabled on the router?
When you say they don't show up, have you logged into the router to see what connected devices there are, or are you just trying the old IP addresses?

On Aug 30, 2020, at 09:06, "Grover Cleveland via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>k7tp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I need your help, Pi gurus.
After I changed my router none of the PI's that I use for Ham Radio show up.
I know what you are about to say - you have to change the settings for the network.
Here's what I have done without luck:
  1. Reinstalled the images to micro sd cards
  2. Changed the wpa_supplicant file to the appropriate settings
  3. Created the blank ssh file
  4. Installed the SD cards and rebooted each device
  5. Ran an ip scanner
  6. Connected an ethernet cable to my pc from the devices.
  7. Connected the Pi's directly to the router with Ethernet

Nada. - nothing

The PI's are 3B, 4 (4gb), and a jumbospot.
Thanks in advance
K7TP

N5XMT

Put a monitor and keyboard on one of the Pi's, log in and do sudo ifconfig -a

On Aug 30, 2020, at 11:48, "Grover Cleveland via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>k7tp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here is just one part of the issue:
The router was not physically changed but the names and passwords for the WiFi were.
The router's dhcp is working fine with everything else on the network.
With the new and correct supplicant information, no wifi comes up.

David Lane

I had this issue.

You said you changed the names - do you mean the Hostnames? Check to make sure they are valid hostnames (that is what bit me). During the boot sequence (after hooking up all the cables etc) it spun waiting to connect because the hostname was invalid and something in the DHCP client didn’t like it, so it just timed out (eventually) and no IP address was assigned.

That should all be recorded in your dmsg file.

Good luck.

On Aug 30, 2020, at 3:31 PM, N5XMT <dacooley@...> wrote:

Put a monitor and keyboard on one of the Pi's, log in and do sudo ifconfig -a

On Aug 30, 2020, at 11:48, "Grover Cleveland via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>k7tp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here is just one part of the issue:
The router was not physically changed but the names and passwords for the WiFi were.
The router's dhcp is working fine with everything else on the network.
With the new and correct supplicant information, no wifi comes up.

Mark Griffith

If you changed your SSID and the password, your Pi won't be able to connect unless you reconfigure it.

You'll have to connect to the Pi somehow, like attaching an HDMI monitor and keyboard.

From the GUI click on the network icon in the upper right, and select your new WiFi and enter the password.

Then reboot.  It should pop up on your network.  If not, something else is the problem.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Sunday, August 30, 2020, 1:50:21 PM CDT, Grover Cleveland via groups.io <k7tp@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Here is just one part of the issue:
The router was not physically changed but the names and passwords for the WiFi were.
The router's dhcp is working fine with everything else on the network.
With the new and correct supplicant information, no wifi comes up.
At the moment, with the ethernet connected directly to the router, the pi does not seem to bring it up on the network

Appreciating all your help folks.

Grover Cleveland

Solved - somewhat.
This was a tortuous road to travel but I'm 2/3 there.
  • The Jumbospot had setup its own wifi hotspot on some unknown IP. This is what happens automatically when the Pi Zero can't log into the router (since things had changed). I found the new ip using an rf sniffer application then attached to it on the Jumbospot setup address. Then I could configure it for the current router settings. One down!
  • The Pi4 was trickier. I suspected that the eeprom on the board was corrupted or in a strange state. No one mentioned the Pi tool "imager.exe" which allows you to reset the onboard eeprom. Using that I could reload the current Buster OS. I could then attach to it using ssh. (The only small remaining issue is that VNC Connect says it can't display the desktop - more investigation to be done.)
  • The Pi3b stalls however during the boot process showing this line of text. --[ end Kernel panic - not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block   - Can someone please explain that to me? I think it's hardware.
So all in all it was an interesting process. At times I was learning new things; at other times I was stumbling in the dark.

So I'll keep on truckin' and share any future successes. Thanks for all the advice. Learning as we go.

Grover K7TP

N5XMT

For the Pi3B that means the root partition of the SD card is bad/corrupt or cmdline.txt is pointing to the wrong device for the rootfs.

On Aug 31, 2020, at 07:33, "Grover Cleveland via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>k7tp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

km4ack

(The only small remaining issue is that VNC Connect says it can't display the desktop - more investigation to be done.)

SSH into the pi and run sudo raspi-config Under the advanced options, set the resolution and it should solve this issue.

73, de KM4ACK
YouTube

N5XMT

Also edit config.text and uncomment "hdmi_force_hotplug=1"

Get BlueMail for Android