Topics

Newbie

Randy Davenport ka4nma

I'm interested in using a raspberry pi for digital modes such as wsjt-x.  I have 2 problems.  First I do not have a router in my apartment. Second I am disabled and low income. Can someone please help me out with this project? A screen, and keyboard is part of my plan.

km4ack

Hey Randy,

Personally, I need a bit more info before making recommendations. Not having a router will be a hassle but not a deal breaker. You can plug the cat5 cable into the pi. If you have a tv with an HDMI port, you can use it for the monitor.

1. What type of pi do you have?
2. What type of sound card do you have?
3. What rig will you be using?

73, de KM4ACK
Find me on YouTube

Randy Davenport ka4nma

I do not have a pi yet nor a sound card dongle. I'll be using ft817nd or ft897r

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019, 8:15 AM km4ack <jason.oleham@...> wrote:
Hey Randy,

Personally, I need a bit more info before making recommendations. Not having a router will be a hassle but not a deal breaker. You can plug the cat5 cable into the pi. If you have a tv with an HDMI port, you can use it for the monitor.

1. What type of pi do you have?
2. What type of sound card do you have?
3. What rig will you be using?

73, de KM4ACK
Find me on YouTube

Michael WA7SKG

My first recommendation is too find and join a local radio club. Somebody there should be able to download the necessary software and get an SD card set up for you. Consider Goodwill for your ancillary items. You should be able to get a monitor for under $15, mice and keyboards are a couple bucks each. In fact, you might be able to find a suitable router for under $10, as well as Ethernet cables. A USB sound dongle can be found on Amazon for $5 or so. You will have to lash up a small interface between a GPIO pin and your PTT unless your radio has USB CAT capability. Of course if your radio has a built in sound card, you won't need the sound dongle, just a USB cable (also available at Goodwill) between your radio and the RPi.

Michael WA7SKG

Randy Davenport ka4nma wrote on 12/15/19 1:23 AM:

I'm interested in using a raspberry pi for digital modes such as wsjt-x.  I have 2 problems.  First I do not have a router in my apartment. Second I am disabled and low income. Can someone please help me out with this project? A screen, and keyboard is part of my plan.
_._,_._,_

Bern Ghis

To control your
Ft817 or 857 via cat, use USB adaptator with CP2102. ( i use it here with pi2b)
Connected  to cat port of your ft817 or 857.
If you use wsjtx, the cat and ptt is made via the software.
Bernard de On7an

Envoyé de mon iPhone XR 👍

Le 15 déc. 2019 à 10:23, Randy Davenport ka4nma <pastor.spaceboy@...> a écrit :

I'm interested in using a raspberry pi for digital modes such as wsjt-x.  I have 2 problems.  First I do not have a router in my apartment. Second I am disabled and low income. Can someone please help me out with this project? A screen, and keyboard is part of my plan.

NKemp

Routers at our 2nd hand shop often go in the $2 range.  They may be older but for you needs they may work perfect.

Graham Errington

Do you have an interface to link the radio to the Pi.

Keith k2acp <k2acp@...>

well, the only interface necessary with a windows machine is a usb cable

On 1/4/2020 16:09, Graham Errington wrote:
Do you have an interface to link the radio to the Pi.

Graham Errington

Sorry I’m a bit lost here Keith please explain.

Graham

On 4 Jan 2020, at 22:20, Keith k2acp <k2acp@...> wrote:

well, the only interface necessary with a windows machine is a usb cable

On 1/4/2020 16:09, Graham Errington wrote:
Do you have an interface to link the radio to the Pi.

Graham Errington

Sorry just re-read your email Keith, you mention a windows PC I thought we were talking about a Raspberry Pi.

Graham

On 4 Jan 2020, at 22:20, Keith k2acp <k2acp@...> wrote:

well, the only interface necessary with a windows machine is a usb cable

On 1/4/2020 16:09, Graham Errington wrote:
Do you have an interface to link the radio to the Pi.

Michael WA7SKG

Graham, it is about the Raspberry Pi. Sad part of this forum, too many people feel the need to post something totally unrelated to the question. Just sigh and move on. He is a Windoze user and probably thinks a Raspberry Pi is some kind of dessert.

Michael WA7SKG

Graham Errington wrote on 1/4/20 3:44 PM:

Sorry just re-read your email Keith, you mention a windows PC I thought we were talking about a Raspberry Pi.
Graham

On 4 Jan 2020, at 22:20, Keith k2acp <@k2acp> wrote:

well, the only interface necessary with a windows machine is a usb cable

On 1/4/2020 16:09, Graham Errington wrote:
Do you have an interface to link the radio to the Pi.

Keith k2acp <k2acp@...>

It's sad some people get their kicks belittling someone less
knowledgeable then them. Do you ever stop to think how many new
operators you are turning away from ham radio by being an arrogant jerk?

On 1/4/2020 20:15, Michael WA7SKG wrote:
Graham, it is about the Raspberry Pi. Sad part of this forum, too many
people feel the need to post something totally unrelated to the
question. Just sigh and move on. He is a Windoze user and probably
thinks a Raspberry Pi is some kind of dessert.

Michael WA7SKG

Graham Errington wrote on 1/4/20 3:44 PM:
Sorry just re-read your email Keith, you mention a windows PC I
thought we were talking about a Raspberry Pi.

Graham

On 4 Jan 2020, at 22:20, Keith k2acp <@k2acp> wrote:

well, the only interface necessary with a windows machine is a usb
cable

On 1/4/2020 16:09, Graham Errington wrote:
Do you have an interface to link the radio to the Pi.

Keith k2acp <k2acp@...>

We are talking about a Pi, you asked about an interface and there isn't any except a usb-a to usb-b cable between the radio and the computer....either a laptop or a Pi, I'm going to try plugging in and powering up, maybe it will recognize and install the driver automatically, thx

On 1/4/2020 17:44, Graham Errington wrote:
Sorry just re-read your email Keith, you mention a windows PC I thought we were talking about a Raspberry Pi.

Graham

On 4 Jan 2020, at 22:20, Keith k2acp <k2acp@...> wrote:

well, the only interface necessary with a windows machine is a usb cable

On 1/4/2020 16:09, Graham Errington wrote:
Do you have an interface to link the radio to the Pi.

Graham Errington

Randy,

I sometimes use a Yaesu FT 817 or the FT 857 for data modes and in order to do so I connect a Tigertronics SIgnaLink or a Yaesu SCU 17 interface between the radio and the Raspberry Pi.

There might be a way of using data modes by connecting a cable from the Radio directly to the USB port of the Pi but I am not aware of this and the method I have described is the way I thought it was meant to be done but if this is wrong I’m happy to be corrected.

That is why I asked if you had an interface as if you are on a budget this will push the cost up.

Graham

Keith k2acp <k2acp@...>

the radios I use have a built in sound card so they do not need a Signalink or other interface but they need a virtual driver such as the cp210x. in the computer to link them up.  In windows you have to download and install them from you radio's manufacturer website, they do not load automatically.  A couple of very helpful fellows have informed me that with rasbian, all I need to do is plug and play.....isn't life wonderful?

On 1/4/2020 22:45, Graham Errington wrote:
Randy,

I sometimes use a Yaesu FT 817 or the FT 857 for data modes and in order to do so I connect a Tigertronics SIgnaLink or a Yaesu SCU 17 interface between the radio and the Raspberry Pi.

There might be a way of using data modes by connecting a cable from the Radio directly to the USB port of the Pi but I am not aware of this and the method I have described is the way I thought it was meant to be done but if this is wrong I’m happy to be corrected.

That is why I asked if you had an interface as if you are on a budget this will push the cost up.

Graham

Gerald Travis

I have a FT-991A with the built-in soundcard, and, as of yet, I have not figured out how to set it up with the Raspberry Pi.
I have that on QRX until I find out if someone has figured it out on JS8call and wjst-x.
Jerry DU3GKT

[...]

Paul KC7PMU

Randy,

Take a look at Julian OH8STN’s blog for some ideas using similar equipment & modes as you mention. May save you some time & money.

http://oh8stn.org/

Paul
kc7pmu

dkc2030@...

Another good source for Raspberry Pi and Ham radio is Jason's products.  He can take you from a bare board to a working system with lots of usable applications in a copy and paste manner.  Jason and Julian collaborate on some stuff.

Jason's stuff is mostly located on YouTube under KM4ACK and he has a blog and a GitHub site to help.  Great guy.  I have worked on helping him debug some scripts in the past and when have you been able to get a developer call you at home to help?

Dave

Terry L. Morris

Randy, unless you have more than one device on your home network a router is not required. Your second obstacle has no connection with running digital modes. What are you actually asking?

Terry L. Morris

Edited

Randy, are you able to drive and move around outside your apartment? Michael's suggestion about finding and joining a local club might be valid for you if members of that club are to help you with the raspberry pi and specific radios. I presume you have a computer other than a raspberry pi since you are able to access the forum. Have you tried installing ham application programs on your computer?

I don't understand why you are asking for help with something you don't possess. Maybe you can explain.

Michael has some good ideas for obtaining low cost, working equipment, not new but that still works. If you can shop at the Goodwill store, you don't to buy at the price shown on the tag. You can try bartering for a lower price.

I think the internal command structure for the FT-817ND and FT-897R is different. Not sure about the interface cable. I know the interface cable for the 817 is compatible with the FT-857D.