From: "Richard Black via groups.io" <jrblack99sa@...>
Date: 10/4/20 1:58 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] New Pi4 - No Video #etcher #hampi

I'm a newbie. Bought a pi4b from Amazon with 8GB. Also bought a 128GB micro-SD card and SunFounder 13.3" HDMI display. Formatted the micro-SD card as ex-FAT using Win 10. Flashed Hampi_v1.1.img using Balena Etcher. No apparent problems. Inserted the micro-SD card in the Pi. Powered up the Raspberry Pi with HDMI cable installed. I can see the red light on the pi's board through the metal case. The fan runs, but there is no video displayed on the monitor. I plugged the HDMI cable into the socket closest to the usb-c power socket in the pi. I also tried flashing Hampi_v1.0.img with the same results. I connected another video source to the HDMI display and know that it works. I'm stumped.
--
Rich - N0FXQ

N5XMT

First, make sure the hdmi monitor is powered on before powering on the pi.
Does the green led on the pi come on at all?  If not then the SD card is not flashed properly.  What brand is the SD card?  You don't need to format anything before using etcher, as it makes a direct bit by bit image on the card.
What power supply are you using for the pi?  You need 5.1V at 3A.

On Oct 4, 2020, at 10:58, "Richard Black via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>jrblack99sa=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm a newbie. Bought a pi4b from Amazon with 8GB. Also bought a 128GB micro-SD card and SunFounder 13.3" HDMI display. Formatted the micro-SD card as ex-FAT using Win 10. Flashed Hampi_v1.1.img using Balena Etcher. No apparent problems. Inserted the micro-SD card in the Pi. Powered up the Raspberry Pi with HDMI cable installed. I can see the red light on the pi's board through the metal case. The fan runs, but there is no video displayed on the monitor. I plugged the HDMI cable into the socket closest to the usb-c power socket in the pi. I also tried flashing Hampi_v1.0.img with the same results. I connected another video source to the HDMI display and know that it works. I'm stumped.

Bryan Corkran, VK3KEZ

Also the micro HDMI cable I received  worked fine out of my case but
would not seat properly once the Pi4 was in the case.
I had to taper the plastic “square end” slightly .

Bill AA6BD

Check this article: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/sdxc_formatting.md

It says that the bootloader on the Pi is unable to boot from exFAT.  It provides some advice on how to format the SD card so it will boot.
--
Bill AA6BD

N5XMT

The format on the SD card prior to being used in etcher or win32systemimager or dd in Linux is no longer the format of the card after the image is written to it.  Those utilities write the image bit by bit, and that includes the file system format as well.