Topics

Need help geting RPi4 audio to work

Kevin Zembower <kzembower@...>

As part of my work getting pat and winlink to work on my RPi4, I'm going back and trying to just get sound to work at all. I currently have a SignalLink USB connected between my RPi4 and my Kenwood TS-440SAT, that was working fine for FT8 and other digital mode. Now, however, I'm trying to get the whole audio system set up just the way I want it.

I didn't understand until recently that the RPi4 had built-in sound. I never tried to play sound through it or my RPi3b before it. Now, however, I'm trying to get regular system sounds, as well as audio from streaming services, to play through the 3.5mm audio jack.

I think I have PulseAudio installed on my system. I can bring up the PulseAudio Volume Control panel. When I run something like 'speaker-test -c2 -t wav', I see a response in the line below the slider to set the volume. This line seems to monitor the loudness level, like an S-meter. However, I can't hear anything out of the headphones or earbuds I plug into the audio jack. I have right-clicked on the toolbar speaker icon, and selected 'Analog' but this doesn't help. I've set the headphone jack in the raspi-config system. I've made sure that nothing's muted and the the volume is at full-scale. I don't think I have any other audio applications, but this is just a stock installation of Raspian 10 buster.

I read one article that says the 3.5mm audio jack is wired the same as Apple headphones, and that this is different from mp3 players. The headset I'm using works correctly when plugged into my desktop PC's audio out jack. Is the audio jack of RPi4s wired differently?

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you have for me to resolve this problem.

-Kevin
KC3KZ

MIKE RICHARDS

Kevin,

I've attached a pdf showing the wiring of the Pi audio jack. If you have PulseAudio Volume Control installed then you will also have PulseAudio.

If you're using the latest Raspberry Pi Operating System, you will find that the 3.5mm jack sound and HDMI sound have independent control and can be separately enabled and disabled.

Mike - G4WNC

N5XMT

Here is the best source of info I have seen for the pi A/V jack.