From: "Pat .... via Groups.Io"
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2020 10:24:55 AM
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Making a pi4 image for a different pi4 and radio

--

David KD4E

I'm thinking probably not ...

> So I have my perfect pi sd card and now I want to copy this so that I > may use it for a different radio and a different pi4. The only > change will be a different yaesu radio and a different pi4. Do I have > to edit anything in the config files besides changing the radio type > in the programs. Will I run into any issues because it's a different > pi4 and a different radio?

You will probably need to change some settings for the new system but it shouldn't be a general problem.

You should provide more details eg  what radios and applications?

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020, 09:38 David KD4E <dcolburn@...> wrote:
I'm thinking probably not ...

> So I have my perfect pi sd card and now I want to copy this so that I > may use it for a different radio and a different pi4. The only > change will be a different yaesu radio and a different pi4. Do I have > to edit anything in the config files besides changing the radio type > in the programs. Will I run into any issues because it's a different > pi4 and a different radio?

Pat ....

Okay, will give a try.
Thank you!

John Schultz

I do this frequently.

There are only two things I change aside from any radio specific settings.  First is the hostname of the device (sudo raspi-config) since I have multiple Pis on my home network.  The other thing I don't include in my "golden image" is hotspot installation.  I broke it once by changing the hostname of the device after it was installed which seemed to cause weird issues so now I just install that after a permanent hostname is assigned.

John

Max

As well as changing the host name I also change the static address of the pi. Since most of my pi's are headless, it just makes things easier in general for me.

Max KG4PID

On Sunday, January 5, 2020, 12:23:21 PM CST, John Schultz <sturmgewehr762@...> wrote:

I do this frequently.

There are only two things I change aside from any radio specific settings.  First is the hostname of the device (sudo raspi-config) since I have multiple Pis on my home network.  The other thing I don't include in my "golden image" is hotspot installation.  I broke it once by changing the hostname of the device after it was installed which seemed to cause weird issues so now I just install that after a permanent hostname is assigned.

John

Pat ....

So to change the host name,  I open up a terminal and type sudo raspi-config?  My IP address is not static,  because I've never set my ip address static. I just let it get assigned. How do I set a static ip address?

John Schultz

Static IP is most important if you are planning to access the Pi headless or if you are running a service that relies on having a static IP like a VPN server, Pi Hole, etc....

The static IP is actually set in the router.  It links a particular mac address to a particular IP.

Max

"The static IP is actually set in the router"  While that is certainly one way to do it, I much prefer to just set  the static address on the pi itself. Ever had a router lose its MAC to I/P table? Then nothing works until that is fixed.

Just don't tell people there is only one way to set a static address.

Max KG4PID

On Monday, January 6, 2020, 10:05:49 AM CST, John Schultz <sturmgewehr762@...> wrote:

Static IP is most important if you are planning to access the Pi headless or if you are running a service that relies on having a static IP like a VPN server, Pi Hole, etc....

The static IP is actually set in the router.  It links a particular mac address to a particular IP.

Terry L. Morris

Pat,
Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't care. As others have suggested you should give the new RPi a different hostname so you don't confuse between the 2 RPi's.

"Do I have to edit anything in the config files besides changing the radio type in the programs."
Pat, are you referring to the operating system or to an application program running on the operating system?

Pat ....

Yup, I changed the host name, and the radio name and it works perfect! Thank you all! I never knew how to make those changes until you guys told me about ((sudo raspi-config).

John Schultz

"Just don't tell people there is only one way to set a static address."  You're right, there's more than one way to do it.  In fact I dealt with an issue yesterday that was router and static IP related.

Didn't mean to trigger you though... Have a calm day.

John
N0JDS

Mark Griffith

In Unix/Linux there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

To change the hostname, run the command 'hostname thenewhostname'.

To have it survive a reboot, edit the file /etc/hostname

Some Linux people like to argue what is the best way out of the many available.  If it works for you, that is the best way.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 8:57:13 AM CST, Pat .... via Groups.Io <mtngr112000@...> wrote:

Yup, I changed the host name, and the radio name and it works perfect! Thank you all! I never knew how to make those changes until you guys told me about ((sudo raspi-config).

". . . more than one way to skin a cat"

Hey, what did I do to you?

Mick - W7CAT

> In Unix/Linux there is always more than one way to skin a cat.
> To change the hostname, run the command 'hostname thenewhostname'.
> To have it survive a reboot, edit the file /etc/hostname
> Some Linux people like to argue what is the best way out of the many available.  If it works for you, that is the best way.
>
> MarkKD0QYN
>
> On Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 8:57:13 AM CST, Pat .... via Groups.Io wrote:
>
> Yup, I changed the host name, and the radio name and it works perfect! Thank you all! I never knew how to make those changes until you guys told me about ((sudo raspi-config).

--

Pat ....

Thank you Mark!