Topics

Looking for BETA Testers of HamPi

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Edited

Hi All,

After six months of development on my spare time, I'm excited to announce that I've completed primary development of my automated Raspberry Pi software image for Ham Radio, now called HamPi. I hope to have a beta build available for this Memorial Day weekend.

If you have one or more of the following SDRs, please note in your response that you have them, because I lack the hardware to test: FUNcube dongle pro+, PlutoSDR, OsmoSDR, or Red Pitaya SDR.

When responding, please do not fudge your answers. SEND DIRECTLY TO w3djs@.... I will not necessarily read responses to this thread. I need people with as many varieties of equipment and experience (or lack of) as possible:

Name
Callsign:
Model(s) of Raspberry Pi
Raspberry Pi Monitor resolution(s):
Raspberry Pi Accessories
Model(s) of radios connecting to Pi:
Do you have a GPS for the Pi?
Will you be doing CW with the Pi?
Experience level with Linux [Beginner, Moderate, Expert]:
What would you like to do with your Raspberry Pi with the HamPi image?
Would you prefer a "LITE" (small) image with just ham radio apps installed, or a "FULL" (large) image with ham radio apps plus desktop apps like LibreOffice installed?
Would you be willing to host the release image via BitTorrent?
Anything else you'd like to mention?

This isn't just an automated build of the image, compared to the manually built one from last October, but it includes these changes. Here's the Changelog:

Big Picture:
    Renamed project to HamPi
    Converted manually-created (handmade) image creation to Ansible-created (automated) image creation
    Set up ~95% of software projects to automagically download latest version from Internet
    Add installation of x86 apps (versus ARM apps) in some cases for use with Raspbian x86
    Automatic upgrade of Raspbian packages and cleaning apt cache

Added:
    Initial Chromium Bookmarks for Ham Radio
    Configuration of image to use 64-bit kernel
    Pybombs for GNU Radio
    AirSpy Driver https://github.com/airspy/airspyone_host
    AirSpy HF Driver https://github.com/airspy/airspyhf
    SoapySDR Driver for AirSpy https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyAirspy
    SoapySDR Driver for FUNcube dongle pro+ https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyFCDPP
    SoapySDR Driver for PlutoSDR https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyPlutoSDR
    SoapySDR Driver for OsmoSDR https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyOsmo
    SoapySDR Driver for Red Pitaya https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyRedPitaya
    SoapySDR Driver for UHD (maybe) https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyUHD
    SoapySDR Driver for VOLK-based type converters https://github.com/pothosware/SoapyVOLKConverters
    TeamViewer build capability (on hold)
    AMBEServer https://github.com/marrold/AMBEServer.git
    PatMenu https://github.com/km4ack/patmenu
    linpac - (dpkg) terminal for packet radio with mail client
    wwl - (dpkg) Calculates distance and azimuth between two Maidenhead locators
    QSLware nag dialog

Replaced:
    APRS Message App for JS8Call with JS8CallUtilities_V2
    D-Rats 0.3.3 with D-Rats 0.3.9 (or later) https://github.com/maurizioandreotti/D-Rats
    AX25 support for Pat WinLink with AX25 support for DXSpider and Pat WinLink

Removed (temporarily):
    SDRAngel
    Background Images

--