Topics

IC-7300 for ARDOP / WinLink with Pi4

Ken Crouse

Good afternoon, group - I recently picked up my first Pi (Raspberry Pi 4, Model B, 4GB) and have been working through several initial set-up videos.

One of my end goals is to be able to sit at my desk indoors and send e-mail on the HF bands using Pat and my Icom IC-7300 radio attached to my Pi 4 which are in the garage. Also would like to use Flrig, Fldigi to control the radio to move between ARDOP stations and frequencies.

I'm able to control the Pi using VNC server / connect and have Flrig / Fldigi installed and working somewhat well. I've been able to send messages using Telnet (essentially, just using WiFi). However, not able to get things working as I'd like and the error message that keeps coming back when I try to send via ARDOP reads as follows:

"2020/01/13 13:29:54 ARDOP TNC initialization failed: dial tcp [::1]:8515: connect: connection refused"

I've been using several of Jason Olham's KM4ACK videos (which have been quite helpful), but his video working through installation of ARDOP (  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqsTbxzR4E&t=238s  ) was made using a Yaesu model of radio and a Signalink sound card. The Icom IC-7300 has an internal sound card - there appears to be enough of a difference between Mr. Oleham's station and mine that I'm not able to get past the "  ./piardopc 8515 plughw;1,0 plughw:1,0 " command about 3:45 into the video.  I've gone back and made sure the 1 and 0 are correct.  I've also looked back through several other Settings recommendation for the radio and Fldigi but nothing that I do appears to be making any difference.

I posed this basic question to Mr. Oleham and he was kind enough to direct me to this group for possible assistance.

Thank you for your thoughts / recommendations.

P.S. I can get the Icom IC-7300 to communicate with my laptop computer and perform the tasks I'm trying to do with the Pi.

John Wiseman

I'm not clear form your description if you are running PAT on your local pc and trying to connect to ARDOP on the PI, or running both on the PI.

The message "2020/01/13 13:29:54 ARDOP TNC initialization failed: dial tcp [::1]:8515: connect: connection refused" shows that PAT is trying to connect to an IPv6 address ( ::1 is the IPv6 loopback address, same as  127.0.0.1 on IPv4). ARDOP doesn't support IPv6, so you need to use an IPv4 address wherever PAT is running, 127.0.0.1 for a local connection or the IP address of the PI for remote.

I suspect you have to configured  to connect to localhost. Normally on a PI localhost resolves to the IPv6 address ::1.

73,
John G8BPQ

shows that PAT is trying to connect to ARDOP on your local PC, not on the PI ( the [::1] is the IPv6 loopback address, similar to 127.0.0.1 on IPv4). You need to configure PAT to connect to the IP address of the PI.

On 14/01/2020 00:13, Ken Crouse wrote:
[...]

N3RDR

You are describing the same use I want to give to my Pi but I’m not as far along as you. I got wrapped around trying to make it compact for my go bag.

To your question, it seems to me it is failing on a TCP connection before transmission occurs. Is that correct? How fast does the error comes? I’ll admit a a total newbie on this but the syntax makes me think it is trying to use IPv6 instead of IPv4 to connect (or to configure ARDOP?). Is that a possibility?

Sent from my 📲

On Jan 13, 2020, at 7:14 PM, Ken Crouse <k6kec@...> wrote:

[...]

Bo W4GHV

i too saw that message but just got rid of it tonight.
I think I fixed it by putting the correct hamlib info in the pat configure file and starting hamlib first.

--
73, Bo W4GHV since '54

Kyle Jorgensen

Did you ever get the soundcard in your 7300 to work with ARDOP?

I'm having a similar problem with my Kenwood 590-SG which also has a built-in soundcard.
I have rig control setup with PAT, I can start the ARDOP modem, it will key-up my radio but no sound.
I've adjusted my sound card levels while transmitting without any improvement.

The same rig works fine on the same Pi with WSJT-X (FT-8).

I'm quite perplexed and frustrated with the limited information available online for soundcard support with ARDOP.

73,
Kyle
AD0ZC

Basil Gunn

I made some notes helping a friend get his ic-7300 rig going with ARDOP here: https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/ardop/MANUAL_STARTUP.md#for-an-ic-7300-which-has-an-internal-sound-card

A common problem is that you have to make sure that the sound card number enumerated on the RPi must match the number you have in the .asoundrc file. List the sound cards seen on the RPi : aplay -l Look for a sound card named 'CODEC' which is the sound card name for the ic-7300. Find what Card number it is. Confirm that the card number matches the pcm line in the .asoundrc file. ie. if 'CODEC' is Card 1 then the line in .asoundrc should be: pcm "hw:1,0" Also make sure the serial device you are using ie. ttyUSB0 exists in the /dev directory. ls -al /dev/ttyU*

Once you get some results starting piardopc in a console you can start it up using systemd. Ignore the notes on the udrc/draws card, the internal sound card for the ic-7300 notes are in these notes as well. https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/ardop/AUTO_STARTUP.md

vwflyer

Hey John, That's very helpful information. I'm struggling with the exact same issue. i've got the pi on my home wifi network and connected to my Kenwood via a cheap usb sound card. I'm using VNC Viewer to run the pi headless. I get the same error as Ken. I've tried changing the pat configuration so that the ARDOP address is the ip of the pi. It gives me the same error but now rather than saying " [::1]:8515: connect: connection refused" it says " 192.168.90.28]:8515: connect: connection refused".
I'm a complete noob with this so all the explaining you can give is great.
Thanks,
John
N7BHP

Dana KN4BEV

Are you also running direwolf. Looking into this error message, seems it can be caused by some other program locking resources needed by ardop. Here is a thread on the pat users group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pat-users/LS3bTc7uZyc

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 7:49 PM vwflyer <vanwormer.john@...> wrote:
Hey John, That's very helpful information. I'm struggling with the exact same issue. i've got the pi on my home wifi network and connected to my Kenwood via a cheap usb sound card. I'm using VNC Viewer to run the pi headless. I get the same error as Ken. I've tried changing the pat configuration so that the ARDOP address is the ip of the pi. It gives me the same error but now rather than saying " [::1]:8515: connect: connection refused" it says " 192.168.90.28]:8515: connect: connection refused".
I'm a complete noob with this so all the explaining you can give is great.
Thanks,
John
N7BHP

--

vwflyer

Hi Dana, Yes, I have direwolf installed. I'm not using it at the moment. I installed it because I was following KM4ACK's install instructions for all the ham apps he has set up on his pi. I figured that by following those instructions line by line i'd be less like to run into unforeseen issues, and who knows, at some point I will probably like to experiment with direwolf so why not get it installed on the outset. If it's conflicting with Ardop though, i'd rather have ardop running than direwolf.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to look into what I can do to stop direwolf. I'm new to this so if you, or anyone else has some quick guidance for me to try, that'd be great as well.
John
N7BHP

Dana KN4BEV

Yes, this post on the pat user group has instructions for how to make sure other processes are stopped before running ardop https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pat-users/LS3bTc7uZyc

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 12:06 PM vwflyer <vanwormer.john@...> wrote:
Hi Dana, Yes, I have direwolf installed. I'm not using it at the moment. I installed it because I was following KM4ACK's install instructions for all the ham apps he has set up on his pi. I figured that by following those instructions line by line i'd be less like to run into unforeseen issues, and who knows, at some point I will probably like to experiment with direwolf so why not get it installed on the outset. If it's conflicting with Ardop though, i'd rather have ardop running than direwolf.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to look into what I can do to stop direwolf. I'm new to this so if you, or anyone else has some quick guidance for me to try, that'd be great as well.
John
N7BHP

--

vwflyer

Hey Dana,
Tried running the script to kill direwolf. I think the script worked to kill direwolf, but unfortunately, it didn't change ardop's behavior. I still get the same message:
"ARDOP TNC initialization failed: dial tcp [::1]:8515: connect: connection refused" when trying to connect.
John
N7BHP

David Ranch

Are you sure that Ardop is running as IT creates the port 8515.  Once ARDOP running, other applications will connect to port 8515 like Pat, ARIM, etc.

Once Ardop is running, try the following commands:

    netstat -an | grep 8515

       You must see something like the following:
       --
       tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8515                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN
       udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8515                0.0.0.0:*

   telnet localhost 8515
      You must see something like the following (if telnet isn't installed, you need to install it first)
      --
      Trying 127.0.0.1...
      Connected to localhost.

If you don't get both of those outputs, you're not starting Ardop properly.  Here is one example of how to start it:

   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/usr/local/bin/start-ardopc.sh

On 07/27/2020 05:24 PM, vwflyer wrote:
Hey Dana,
Tried running the script to kill direwolf. I think the script worked to kill direwolf, but unfortunately, it didn't change ardop's behavior. I still get the same message:
"ARDOP TNC initialization failed: dial tcp [::1]:8515: connect: connection refused" when trying to connect.
John
N7BHP

vwflyer

I have noticed something odd though. Sometimes, when I enter the command arecord -l to see what the card number my sound card is, it's sometimes 1 and sometimes 2. So I change the configuration to match the latest thing I get but it doesn't help.
Any idea why it might be constantly changing like this?

vwflyer

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply!
Apparently, when I boot up the pi4 Ardop is not running since nothing happens when I paste in those commands you gave me. I have found that I can start it by typing this into the command line though:
cd ~/ardop ./piardopc 8515 plughw:1,0 plughw:1,0

Although, I have to check which card # the soundcard is using first since it changes from 1 to 2 sometimes after rebooting. After running that command, Ardop seems to be running and I get a response like the first one you showed me.

Running the second command you gave me, "telnet localhost 8515", comes back with "command not found", so I must not have telnet installed, or perhaps running the above command doesn't actually start Ardop, but just the sound card.

As far as the link to the commands you gave me for starting up Ardop, should I cut and paste the whole thing in or just some lines of it?
Sorry, I really know nothing about this and am trying to follow step by step instructions. It makes trouble shooting hard when things don't go perfectly the first time.

Thanks again David,
John
N7BHP

N5XMT

Use sudo telnet. Unpriveleged users can't open the ports

On Jul 27, 2020, at 18:33, vwflyer <vanwormer.john@...> wrote:
[...]

Hello John,

Apparently, when I boot up the pi4 Ardop is not running since nothing happens when I paste in those commands you gave me. I have found that I can start it by typing this into the command line though:
cd ~/ardop ./piardopc 8515 plughw:1,0 plughw:1,0

I don't know if you configured ARDOP to start when you boot your Raspberry Pi but I wouldn't recommend it unless this Pi and your connected radio is supposed to run 24/7/365.

Although, I have to check which card # the soundcard is using first since it changes from 1 to 2 sometimes after rebooting. After running that command, Ardop seems to be running and I get a response like the first one you showed me.

Sounds like you have different sound card enumerations (the order your sound cards are found).  You can make specific sound cards show up as specific ALSA cards by following this doc:

   https://github.com/dh1tw/remoteAudio/wiki/Persistent-USB-Mapping-of-Audio-devices-(Linux)

Running the second command you gave me, "telnet localhost 8515", comes back with "command not found", so I must not have telnet installed, or perhaps running the above command doesn't actually start Ardop, but just the sound card.

You don't have it installed.  Install it with "sudo apt install telnet"

As far as the link to the commands you gave me for starting up Ardop, should I cut and paste the whole thing in or just some lines of it?

Up to you.  I run the whole thing as it does other useful things like starts the ARDOP GUI display, etc.  Your choice.

Sorry, I really know nothing about this and am trying to follow step by step instructions. It makes trouble shooting hard when things don't go perfectly the first time.

While not for Raspbian, this is a step by step guide to get ARDOP + ARiM and PAT working:

   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#22.ARDOP-ARIM

vwflyer

Thanks for the great info David! It looks like it will keep me busy for a couple hours seeing what I can do with it.
John
N7BHP

John Wiseman

ardopc does not listen on IPV6 addresses, so connects to ::1 will never
work.

On some systems localhost resolves to the IPV6 loopback address ::1 instead
of the IPV4 loopback 127.0.0.1. Try changing the configuration to connect to
127.0.0.1

73,
John G8BPQ

Tried running the script to kill direwolf. I think the script worked to kill
direwolf, but unfortunately, it didn't change ardop's behavior. I still get
the same message:
"ARDOP TNC initialization failed: dial tcp [::1]:8515: connect: connection
refused" when trying to connect.
John
N7BHP

vwflyer

Good news guys! After running some of David's scripts, and installing KC4ACK's "PAT MENU" it looks like ARDOP starts up and shuts down just fine. It attempts to make a connection and doesn't give me the same error anymore. Now it just gives me an error for initiating the PTT which I'm trying to do with RTS via a serial to USB adaptor, so now I've got to figure out how to do that. But that's probably for another thread. I greatly appreciate all your help!
John
N7BHP