Topics

How to set up TNC-Pi9k6

Bill AA6BD

I got a TNC-Pi9k6 from WVCARC as I wanted a backup to the TNC-Pi I have but is no longer available. Until I need it as a replacement, I want to use it for APRS.

I have a running PiGate RMS gateway, based on BPQ32, that uses the TNC-Pi and when I checked its configuration, it uses port /dev/serial0. I verified that the TNC-PI9k6 works with PiGateRMS by plugging it in to the same system running the TNC-Pi, and it worked fine. Then I used another Raspberry Pi where I want to run YAAC, and used the same SD card for PiGate RMS and it worked there, too.

When I try to use this same device on the YAAC APRS system, after shutting down PiGate RMS, and using a new copy of Raspberry Pi OS, it reports an exception when I try to configure port serial-TNC to use /dev/serial0.
"unable to open Serial_TNC connection /dev/serial0"

I tried /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/tyAMA0 but I have the same problem with them.

What device should I use to be able to connect the TNC-Pi9k6 to YAAC's TNC setup?
Is there another APRS client for Raspberry Pi that would work with the TNC-Pi9k6?
--
Bill AA6BD

N5XMT

You need to go into raspi-config, go to interfacing, select serial.  Select no for logins, and yes for hardware.
Then do "ls -l /dev/ser*" to see what serial ports you have and what they are linked to

On Sep 23, 2020, at 17:18, Bill AA6BD <bill@...> wrote:
[...]

I configured the serial as suggested.  I tried
ls -l /dev/ser*
and see
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Sep 24 11:09 /dev/serial0 -> ttyAMA0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Sep 24 11:09 /dev/serial1 -> ttyS0

when I type
ls -l /dev/ttyS0
I get
crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 4, 64 Sep 24 11:09 /dev/ttyS0

I checked that the user pi is in the dialout group by typing
groups pi

In YAAC, I tried using each of these devices.  I am able to click on Test Port and a window comes up but nothing appears in the window.  I connected a radio to the TNC-Pi9k6 and tuned it to 144.390MHz.  I see an occasional APRS message, and the receive light on the radio and the TNC light up, but noting appears in the Test Port window.  When I click Enable Port, I get "unable to open Serial_TNC connection /dev/ttyS0" for example.

I had a prior version of YAAC about 18 months old which was running under Buster, and it works fine with the same hardware.  So it appears that something is different between the two versions.
--
Bill AA6BD

Bill AA6BD

After trying a lot of options, I believe I know where the problem is: The TNC-Pi9k6.  I finally got it to be accepted by YAAC as a serial device on /dev/ttyS0.  But with YAAC, there was no communication.  That is, no packets were sent or received.  I switched the TNC-Pi for the TNC-Pi9k6, and it worked.  Frustratingly, either TNC works fine with PiGate RMS.  There must be something awry with the communication protocols of the TNC-Pi9k6.

When I tested a few days ago, the TNC-Pi9k6 worked fine with XASTIR so there must be some subtle difference in how the two APRS clients communicate with the serial port.

Since my motivation for getting the TNC-Pi9k6 was as a backup for the TNC-Pi as used with PiGate RMS, I will leave my arrangement of the parts so that everything works as they are configured.  Not ideal, but I can live with it.
--
Bill AA6BD

Mat Murdock

What baud rate are you using?  It should be 19200.

Mat

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020, 6:15 PM Bill AA6BD <bill@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I am using 19200.

Works with XASTIR but with YAAC, it at least configures OK but there is no transmit or receive.
--
Bill AA6BD

Bill AA6BD

And the TNC-Pi works perfectly with YAAC, but the TNC-Pi9k6 does not.  I reloaded the firmware but that did not make a difference.
--
Bill AA6BD