From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io [mailto:RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Daniel VA2DG
Sent: Saturday, February 1, 2020 2:13 PM
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] How to access the Hotspot on W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image

Hi just downloaded the image and burn it on a 32gb Micro SD, so far so good
Hook up RPi4 to HDMI, i have Keyboard/mouse.
Now i see RpiHotspot in  my wifi list
but what is the Password to connect to it.
I had a look in the Groups.io for over 4 hours and did not find any mention about how to login Wifi hotspot,   The only login/pass i saw is pi/raspberry.

73
Daniel VA2DG

Daniel VA2DG

Nope that;s the first thing i try but all lower case let me try

Daniel VA2DG

HI
just retry with Raspberry and raspberry and still the same wrong password

km4ack

Open the terminal and run
cat /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Look for wpa_passphrase= The password will be listed after the = sign.

73, de KM4ACK
Find me on YouTube

Daniel VA2DG

KM4ACK, how can you SSH to PI if you have no connection to it?
Wifi is on Hotspot mode and need to connect to Rpi before i can SSH.

Daniel VA2DG

Edited

Never mind  i did use the old trick for Pi-Star.
Went to Pi-Star.uk and used the Pi-Star Wifi Builder then i was able to ssh to my Pi.
i had a look at the hostapd.conf and why the developper of this package does not state it clearly in his documentation that the password for the Wifi Hotspot is
wpa_passphrase=1234567890
There is nothing secret in this, it is like the default Raspberry login password.
If one of the user of this package would have put the password that would be more simple.
Anyway for other user that are having the same problem they can  use this link and generate the wpa_supplicant.conf with their own Wifi credential. Then they copy it
to the root directory of the SD card just after imaging it.  Then on the first boot the RPi will get registered to the user WiFi network.
Thanks for the heads up

https://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php

chuck gelm

On 2/2/20 9:52 AM, Daniel VA2DG wrote:
how can you SSH to PI if you have no connection to it?
Wifi is on Hotspot mode and need to connect to Rpi before i can SSH.
Ethernet or

Shut down the RPi.
Remove the SD card.
Carry the SD card to another computer.
Mount the SD card.
grep passphrase /.../etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf